Windows Notepad alternative for OSX?

The_Prodigy1982

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to the OSX system, and so far I really love it... but I'm missing Windows Notepad, kinda.
I know OSX has it's own default Notes app, but it's different.
Sometimes I just find it easier to have loose notes, loose sheets (instead of everything in one book).

- Is there any good Windows Notepad alternative?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the OSX system, and so far I really love it... but I'm missing Windows Notepad, kinda.
I know OSX has it's own default Notes app, but it's different.
Sometimes I just find it easier to have loose notes, loose sheets (instead of everything in one book).

- Is there any good Windows Notepad alternative?

The built-in apps (TextEdit and Notes) are not too bad... especially Notes with the iOS 9 / El Capitan enhancements. There are also a few in the Mac App Store that are worth consideration:

Tincta and TextWrangler are two that I have used.

EDIT: Looks like Tincta is no longer in the Mac App Store. Here's a direct link from the developer's website:
Tincta Text Editor for Mac - Mr. Fridge Software

emiandri

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
OneNote, great for everyday usage, collaborative and syncs with your phone no matter what phone you are using.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Loren Sims

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, TextEdit gets my vote. It's included with every Mac, has powerful word processing and formatting features (that's why it's default format is RTF), *BUT* you can easily (under the Format menu) "Make Plain Text" and there you have Notepad (without the pesky BOM indicator Notepad puts at the beginning of each file). You can even change the Preferences to get TextEdit to Always open in 'Plain Text' mode and even to put the .txt extension on the file when it is saved.

Makes me wonder why anyone would ever need TextWrangler...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2