ELI5 about Office Home and Student 2011 edition

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
So I like Office a lot and my wife bought this edition when she bought her MacBook the other day. But can some ELI5 about why in the hell Microsoft doesn't let you use the included Outlook app with it? The activation code doesn't work on Outlook with this specific package. What the hell? It's an email app, why would Microsoft NOT want someone to use their email and calendar app???

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Microsoft has never allowed Outlook to be installed with the Student edition. Presumably because they think there's no need for it for students and because they want to force you to pay more money if you want it.

Okay, listen to what I am saying. IT. IS. INSTALLED. I'M LOOKING AT RIGHT NOW.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Indies read what you are saying. But if it is installed but cannot be activated with the Student edition (which is what your first comment said), then you still cannot use it. So my reasoning as to why still stands.

And no need to shout.

You said Microsoft never allowed it to be installed. It's installed. But it's a simple email client. I would imagine that Microsoft would want people of any caliber to use their email client, wouldn't you?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Installed but not activated and thus unable to be used amounts to the same thing in my eyes. But enough of the semantics.
Microsoft wants you to pay more money for the privilege of using their email most powerful client. And while I like Outlook well enough and have used it a lot at work, it really is overkill for most users in home/school settings. I believe that Microsoft has free (or comes with the OS) simple email clients that suffice for most people, most of the time. And if that means they can get the rest of the Office apps at a cheaper price, then it probably works out better for those people who don't need the power and integration of Outlook but still gives people the option of purchasing the version with Outlook if they would benefit from its features.

I just purchased the freestanding version of 2016 Office - Home and Student (H/S) and see the same thing. While Outlook is, in fact, installed, it's worthless without being activated. And the H/S license does not activate it. I previously had the 2011 version (NOT Home and Student) with Outlook activated, but now when I try to open Outlook, I get an activation popup. It's fine, as I don't need Outlook at home, and I knew that it was not included in the H/S version. The cost of the H/S version vs the full version saved me $80. And they talk about an "Apple tax". :raised-eyebrow:

View attachment 92864

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2