Evernote, Wunderlist and other task management apps - which is best?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So many task management apps out there these days. A couple of the heavy hitters seem to be Evernote and Wunderlist, at least when it comes to the Mac. Of course, there's cloud based solutions like Asana as well.

I've used them all, and locally I use Evernote quite a lot... with Asana becoming a bigger player as time goes by (I do use it for some things).

I tried out Wunderlist for a week or so, but at the time I found it was lacking some features I really needed.

So what do you prefer? Is there a task management app that you can't live without? Or is there a different app I haven't mentioned that does everything you need?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Evernote....Hands down....I have everything from my Apple / iTunes receipts, quotes, Bible verses, Wish list items, Business cards, Ambassador Stuff, various other receipts and a bunch of other stuff stored via Evernote. It handles them well for me.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I use both Evernote (for note taking) and Wunderlist (to organize and put together to do lists for work). For me, the big thing is that both are available on every mobile platform I use, PC and Mac. And when all else fails, it's still accessible via browser.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Just started using Evernote again after a long absence. Very convenient I must say. Considering Pages no longer works between devices anymore. :(

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have never thought of Evernote as a task management tool. That said, now that you mention it, I do use it sometimes as a task planner. What I would do is to break down a complex task into multiple, smaller and more manageable steps, using the checkbox option. Sync over to my iPhone, and check each off as I complete it. It gives me a sense of satisfaction when I slowly complete each task, and makes my planning more structured overall.

I tried clear (the app), but the music actually got irritating after a while, and I was not willing to pay for the desktop version (and keying in tasks into the phone is actually quite a pain).

For now, I am trying the reminders app (I type my reminders in OSX, then review them with fantastical) mostly for all the little tasks I need to get done every day (e.g.: collect payments for worksheets from pupils, submit documents for printing, make X announcement etc), but still find myself going back to evernote as a dumping ground for all my notes. As a teacher, I easily have a dozen assorted matters awaiting my attention at any one time (ranging from administrative tasks to curriculum planning to preparation of excursions and school-related events), and it's great to be able to list them all down, capture my thoughts, collate information and review them all in one place at any time.

Yeah, still finding the combination which best suits me, but I don't deny that task management as a concept has made me more organised overall. :)

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm still searching for a task solution that meets my needs. I really like Omnifocus. Its use of Perspectives and other filtering allows me to focus on what I should be instead of becoming overwhelmed with the number of overall tasks I have. Unfortunately, with it being a Mac/iOS only solution (without even a web interface to use), it is not a complete solution for me. Until my company decides I can get a Mac for work or Omnigroup develops a Windows or web solution, I can't really utilize it to the extent I would love to.

I've never really considered Evernote a task management solution. Yes, it now has tasks, alarms, etc., but to me it's still mostly a repository of information I collect. It excels at that. I still find the task management part of it to be a little kludgy.

Wunderlist would be good if my coworkers and I needed a more collaborative task management solution, but we don't operate that way. So, in practice it fared no better than the stock Reminders app for me (and Reminders actually worked better since it can bring in Tasks from our Exchange server).

I've tried Todo (Appigo) coupled with Toodledo, Pocket Informant (with their online solution), Remember the Milk, and briefly Todoist and Nozbe. Omnifocus still works best for me in processing, etc., but the lack of cross platform all but kills it. But if you can operate in an Apple exclusive world, Omnifocus is what I consider the current benchmark for task management.

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree, Evernote is like my duping ground for everything, and in this its very useful, a key part of my task managment, but for myself i use Fantastical 2 i like that i can manage my calendar and my native reminders from one app, it also addresses my only shortcoming with the reminders app being able to input clickable URLs, Fantastical 2 includes that feature

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I use Reminders for tasks.
I use Evernote for web clippings Works great when clipping from my MBA..
I've tried the Todo in Evernote but don't like the fact that it doesn't have a note field available for a task. Or does it? Well I can't find it.
Good Luck

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I use Wunderlist. The syncing capability between all my devices and the well organized but simple design is perfect. I've tried most available apps and this one meets my needs best. I used Reminders.app in the past, but I found I needed more features than it offered.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I recently discovered Things.
This is a great app and syncs well between my iPhone & iPad.
I picked them up last week when they were free at the App Store.
Good Luck

ry4

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
This thread actually made me re-look at Evernote. I hated it when I tried it out a few years ago, but am now using it for notes...However I also use Wunderlist for lists/reminders.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2