Stuck in BOOT LOOP; iPhone refuses to enter SAFE MODE

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have an iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.0.2 jailbroken) that is currently stuck in a boot loop. I have tried to enter safe mode by pressing the volume up button (tried with earphones too) but to no avail. The phone will just keep displaying the Apple logo, and after a minute or so, die out.

This happened right after I used iCleaner Pro. I have been using it countless times before and there have been no issues.

I have tried using TinyUmbrella (fix recovery option is no longer available in the latest version). I also have tried Tenorshare iPhone Care Pro for Mac but to no avail.

I am able to get the iPhone into DFU mode and iTunes recognises it.

I do not wish to restore and just want to find a way to get it back on. I am afraid that the OS is corrupted (is that even possible?).

Please help! Thanks!

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Sounds like your only option is to restore your device unless some one else can provide a better solution

Recovery Mode Instuctions

1. Turn Off your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad if it isn't already.
2. Press and hold down the Home button on the front of your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPhone.
3. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
4. Let go of the Home button when you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

Sounds like your only option is to restore your device unless some one else can provide a better solution

Recovery Mode Instuctions

1. Turn Off your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad if it isn't already.
2. Press and hold down the Home button on the front of your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPhone.
3. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
4. Let go of the Home button when you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

Thanks for the reply kataran. The phone is recognised by iTunes when it is put into recovery mode. But I really can't let go of the jailbreak and the existing data on iPhone (haven't backed up in a while). I read around that getting the phone into safe mode / no-substrate mode takes a few tries, but I've tried at least 30 times >.<

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Attention EVERY SINGLE PERSON EVER!!!
If your reply EVER contains the word "restore" just shut your mouth.
This is a jailbreak sub forum.
RESTORE has no place being mentioned.
RESTORE IS NOT AN OPTION

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you are of the opinion that a restore is necessary, then just slowly walk away from the keyboard. DO NOT TELL PEOPLE TO RESTORE
/rant

OP.
Do you remember any of the tweaks you installed? Did you ever install angelxwind's ssh boot?
Did you install open ssh?
Did you install Apple file conduit 2?
Do you install any applications that allow for file system connection?

How long do you have before your phone reboots? Is it a reboot, or a respring?
Complete black screen with no backlight? Or just continuous Apple logo?
How long have you given it without interruption? Do you ever get a blue slash screen?

Did you change any settings inside of iCleaner before you last ran it?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Also, there was a nasty bug with one of the ios 8 jailbreaks that if you put a passcode on, you experienced the same exact issue that you seem to be in right now. Did you recently put a passcode lock on?
Have you kept everything in Cydia up to date?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If your reply EVER contains the word "restore" just shut your mouth.
This is a jailbreak sub forum.
RESTORE has no place being mentioned.
RESTORE IS NOT AN OPTION

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, if you are of the opinion that a restore is necessary, then just slowly walk away from the keyboard. DO NOT TELL PEOPLE TO RESTORE
/rant

OP.
Do you remember any of the tweaks you installed? Did you ever install angelxwind's ssh boot?

How long have you given it without interruption? Do you ever get a blue slash screen?

If you READ my post you will see that I mentioned RESTORE as and only option unless someone can come up with a better solution and it appears you have not done so!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If the ONLY option is to RESTORE, it doesn't matter what subforum it's in. I don't see anyone offering a different solution.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It clearly matters.

People come here for advice. This sub forum is specific to jail breaking.

If your advice in any way shape or form includes restoring, it is not valid advice and shouldn't be mentioned.

Also we need to figure out where op is before we start giving out advice.
Hence the reason for my questions. I will gather information and diagnose before I start blindly pointing op in a direction to solve the problem.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It clearly matters.

If your advice in any way shape or form includes restoring, it is not valid advice and shouldn't be mentioned.

It's obvious we all want to help the OP and I see that your trying to understand the root cause of his issue but after reading his two posts it clear that he has tried most of the standard practices to get his device back in running order

What I don't understand is not giving him all his options. If he can't get in to undo his mistake how do you suppose he can stop his device from turning into an expensive paperweight

I will be viewing this thread to learn from you on how to fix an issue like his without mentioning the dreaded R word

So carry on

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying that the eventual outcome here will not be a restore. It's just that I've seen too many times people given advice to restore without any troubleshooting being done.
This particular example, and I can't say this without offending op, so whatever, op "ran iCleaner" now his phone is in a boot loop?
Now from my personal experience, and the experiences of thousands, (hundreds of thousands?) of other jailbreak users, this is 100% not the entire story. ICleaner has got to be in the top ten of most downloaded tweaks, and this simply isn't an issue.

So we have op, who is stuck, he doesn't know what happened, and he certainly hasn't tried everything.
We are as far away from restore as we possibly can be.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that the eventual outcome here will not be a restore. It's just that I've seen too many times people given advice to restore without any troubleshooting being done.
This particular example, and I can't say this without offending op, so whatever, op "ran iCleaner" now his phone is in a boot loop?
Now from my personal experience, and the experiences of thousands, (hundreds of thousands?) of other jailbreak users, this is 100% not the entire story. ICleaner has got to be in the top ten of most downloaded tweaks, and this simply isn't an issue.

So we have op, who is stuck, he doesn't know what happened, and he certainly hasn't tried everything.
We are as far away from restore as we possibly can be.

This particular post should have been posted above instead of the rant where you directed it toward "everybody", but after Kataran's reply. He did exactly what he is suppose to do - try to assist members as best as he can. Period. Having said that, yes, this situation deals with a jailbroken device, but it does not mean that the advice given - "Sounds like your only option is to restore your device unless some one else can provide a better solution" was bad. "...unless someone can provide a better solution", at least from my standpoint, is saying that another solution is possible. If you have better advice to give to the OP, please do so, but not at the expense of someone else trying to be helpful.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have an iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.0.2 jailbroken) that is currently stuck in a boot loop. I have tried to enter safe mode by pressing the volume up button (tried with earphones too) but to no avail. The phone will just keep displaying the Apple logo, and after a minute or so, die out.

This happened right after I used iCleaner Pro. I have been using it countless times before and there have been no issues.

I have tried using TinyUmbrella (fix recovery option is no longer available in the latest version). I also have tried Tenorshare iPhone Care Pro for Mac but to no avail.

I am able to get the iPhone into DFU mode and iTunes recognises it.

I do not wish to restore and just want to find a way to get it back on. I am afraid that the OS is corrupted (is that even possible?).

Please help! Thanks!

Please keep in mind that many of us do not jailbreak our devices and may not know how to best assist you regarding your particular situation, but hopefully, the people who do will respond soon.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Should I link every thread from this sub forum where the first response is restore?

I'm most certainly not singling out kataran.

This is an ongoing issue, probably about two years now.
This is also not the first time I've made the same exact rant.

I do however apologize to kataran. It was not my intention to single you out. Please understand that it comes from a general frustration to what this sub is now compared to what it was 3-4 years ago. Sorry for the offense I caused by my rant.

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site

OP.

1) As of late (past 3-4 weeks), I haven't had installed any new tweaks or remember updating any tweaks in the past week.

2) I have OpenSSH installed.

3) I believe I have Apple File Conduit installed because I previously had to use iFunBox. But I'm not sure of the version installed.

4) I believe I have iFile installed

5) It is neither a reboot or restring. When I power on (while holding the volume up button) and the Apple logo shows up, after 1 min 30 sec, the phone just switches off. Battery is full. Never got the blue screen.

6) No changes to iCleaner Pro made before I last ran it. I have used it countless times prior and no issues at all. Right after the last cleaning, I was using a messenger app which stores chat history and data locally on the phone. I launched it and it said that it could not pull up history because my database was corrupted.

7) My phone's storage availability was about 0.1GB/64GB free right before I used iCleaner. One thing I noticed very odd was that this time, iCleaner Pro only cleaned approx. 91MB of stuff off my phone though I had last cleaned it only the day before. It usually should be able to clean up >700mb.

-

Thank you so very much for trying to help out here guys. Really appreciate it.
And thank you 3cit for a response that does not urge me to just give up.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So, after the phone shuts down, if there is no interaction from you, it will stay powered off?

When you press the power button, it attempts to power up but after ~ 90 seconds it just shuts down again? All you ever see is the Apple logo?

What I would do, is when the phone is powered off, on my computer, open iTunes, or ifunbox, or both, then plug the phone onto the computer. This will start it up, in essence the same as pressing the power button. Look for indications that the phone is connected, a chime from your computer, the phone showing up in the sidebar of ifunbox.

Does it ever show up?

I would also try a forced shutdown while it is powering up? like hit the power button, when the Apple logo is there hold home and power together for ten seconds so that you know it is shutting down, then quickly hold volume up until your thumb falls off?

You said you put it in dfu mode, if you had it in dfu mode, does it stay powered on?
I think you can still access the file system in dfu mode of you can ssh into it.

Can we decidedly determine there is no hardware failure here?

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
1) Yes - after 90 seconds, the phone shuts off. 0.1% unsure if it is really powered off - but briefly holding down the power button again for 2 seconds causes the Apple logo to show up again for 90 seconds.

2) Yes. After 90 seconds, it shuts down and all I ever see is the Apple logo.

3) Tried that before a few times, and just tried it again. No chime from phone, and nothing shows up on iTunes/iFunBox.
One thing I did just notice (probably insignificant) is that when the phone is plugged in and dies out after 90 seconds, when I disconenct the phone from my Mac - the phone does the 90 second boot up again.

4) Done the "force shut down while powering up" procedure a few times. Doesn't work.

5) And when it is in DFU mode, it remains powered on (refer to screenshot on how iTunes reflects the phone's status). Tried Googling - but not sure how to SSH into it. Am rather afraid I might screw it up even more >.<

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 3.30.19 AM.png

6) Yes. Most most unlikely hardware failure.

Thank you very much for your time.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well ssh needs to be done through terminal in OS X, or a program like winscp on Windows.
You will type something like ssh root@192.168.1.10 ( whatever your phones ip address is) then it will ask if you want to connect, and for a password?
If you've never consciously changed your root password then it is going to be alpine.
From there you can use Linux commands like "ls" to list the files/folders?
I don't even know if you can ssh when it's in dfu? you might?
So I guess at this point you need to find out your phones Ip on the wireless network.

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I've tried to SSH using Transmit while the phone is in Apple-logo-booting-up mode/DFU mode/recovery mode but to no avail. Maybe I'm not doing something right. I've tried it via USB and the normal OpenSSH way via WIFI but nothing is connecting.

Am very frustrated right now. I've got crucial data on the iPhone that if I do a full restore - will be deleted forever.

Anyone knows how to get the phone into substrate-free/safe mode without using the volume button? I still believe there's hope because the phone still shows up on iTunes when it is in DFU mode.

Thanks.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm all out of ideas. Have you had any luck on Reddit.com/r/jailbreak?

Also, I might have been wrong about being able to access file system while in dfu. So you might only have the 10-30 seconds of time that it is showing Apple logo?
But if you can see the file structure you might still be able to save it.
Do you have a different phone in the meantime while your phone has been down?

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies. Really appreciate the tips you have provided in this very helpless situation >.<

I think my only solution would be to restore. Oh well.

And yes, I do have another phone - currently on an iPhone 4S *hur hur*.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711