Desperately seeking way to bring iOS 6 Siri Functionality Back to iOS 8 - Transparent Background?

Icognito

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Desperately seeking way to bring iOS 6 Siri Functionality Back to iOS 8 - Transparent Background

I just found this forum through Google trying to find a solution and it sure seems like there's a wealth of knowledge here.

I've owned iPhone's since day 1. I've regretted iOS updates starting with 7.0 because of the total kill by Apple of Siri functionality--namely, the ability to look at what's on your screen (like a phone number or tracking number) and dictate to Siri to call or search for it.

iOS 6 still shows what is on the screen (like Safari, gmail, etc.) so you can read a reply, phone number, address, or whatever else, while iOS 7 and beyond show a big, useless blur.

I've just reached the point that my 64GB iPhone with iOS 8 is about to go on eBay so I can buy one still running iOS 6. But what if there's a crash? iOS 6 isn't signed any longer, so I'd have to update to iOS 9 if there's ever an issue.

I know this sounds extreme, but in my business I do a LOT of package tracking and a lot of phone calls from numbers I'm reading from whatever. I'm also super frustrated in general by fashion over function in Apple products these days.

It only just occurred to me that there may be a cure for this using jailbreak and Cydia.

Hoping someone can shed some light on a solution.

Thank you very much!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I gather, your only gripe is to dial or search for a number via Siri that is displayed on the screen, although a few extra steps on your part would give you what you want, but you don't want that. Having said that, you're right. If you purchase a device that is still running iOS 6, and that device needs to be reset, you will then be upgraded to iOS 9. Maybe it's time to try a non-Apple smartphone that is better suited for your needs and there's nothing wrong with that.

Icognito

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Well, sometimes it's possible, but it's usually from a photo in an email or something that I cannot select, so it's a lot of extra steps swapping back and forth between apps, touching back in to the edit field, select the end, edit the next set of 5 or so digits, then wash, rinse, repeat.

I've tried Android twice. It's tolerable, but I like iOS better.

Surely there's a way to make the Siri background transparent through Cydia, right?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, sometimes it's possible, but it's usually from a photo in an email or something that I cannot select, so it's a lot of extra steps swapping back and forth between apps, touching back in to the edit field, select the end, edit the next set of 5 or so digits, then wash, rinse, repeat.

I've tried Android twice. It's tolerable, but I like iOS better.

Surely there's a way to make the Siri background transparent through Cydia, right?

I can only assume it's possible because I don't jailbreak. Hopefully, someone who does will respond and offer suggestions soon...:)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen this particular tweak. I trust you've searched "siri" and "parallax" in cydia and checked out the tweaks there. Is that a valid assumption?

But, can we please avoid being overly dramatic? The primary function of Siri was never the background. There isn't a "killing" of Siri here.

Icognito

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, killing is overstated. Maiming is more appropriate. Siri is supposed to be the iAssistant, and if that assistant can no longer allow dictation from on-screen, it surely is a significant handicap. This was incredibly useful and was certainly the primary thing *I* used Siri for.

I've never heard of Parallax. I'll look it up.

Thanks!

Icognito

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen this particular tweak. I trust you've searched "siri" and "parallax" in cydia and checked out the tweaks there. Is that a valid assumption?

But, can we please avoid being overly dramatic? The primary function of Siri was never the background. There isn't a "killing" of Siri here.

Okay, just read through a few things. Unless I'm missing something, this seems completely unrelated. The maiming of Siri is the removal of being able to dictate something viewable on screen while using Siri. That function was removed. I don't think you understood what the concern is.

It's not a gripe about a background, it's the removal of the ability to use Siri in a dictation or multitasking fashion like we could previously because it blurs the screen now instead of leaving it viewable.

Icognito

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, thank you! It had not even crossed my mind that Siri was full screen and that was the problem. I'd just thought it was the blur layer. Brilliant!

Jailbreaking, here I come!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay, just read through a few things. Unless I'm missing something, this seems completely unrelated. The maiming of Siri is the removal of being able to dictate something viewable on screen while using Siri. That function was removed. I don't think you understood what the concern is.

It's not a gripe about a background, it's the removal of the ability to use Siri in a dictation or multitasking fashion like we could previously because it blurs the screen now instead of leaving it viewable.

You don't make a connection between the parallax effect blurring your background and background effects?

I understood the concern just fine. That's how I was able to point out it wasn't killing Siri, but rather removing a case that you can see from the multiple threads you made across the internet isn't a very common use case. That's scratching, at best. It's not killing.

If you're going to use tech, please stop being a drama queen. Things change. There's usually a fix. Using such loaded words as "kill" and "maim" for something trivial is going to drive you insane.

Icognito

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Natasftw, I don't think I follow.

1. This is the first and only post I've EVER created regarding this issue. If there are others, they're other people like minded. If that's insane, so be it.

2. I don't actually understand what you mean by the second paragraph.

Also what do you mean by "use tech"? Is that a reference to jailbreaking? Sorry, I'm not up on kids' lingo.

3. This was most certainly NOT trivial to me and other like minded people. It was a major reverse of function. Maybe some people embrace change easily, but apparently I'm too old, stubborn, and set in my ways. Apparently changes don't affect you like they do me (and, happily, others).

I thank you for trying to help?despite the thinly veiled jabs.

3cit, you truly made my day!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2