Massive Storage Loss on Iphone 6+

mMike01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am currently having massive storage issues on my jailbroken iphone 6+.

At launch I purchased a 16gb Iphone 6+, when the IOS8 pangu jailbreak came out, I jailbroke the phone. Since then I've always had low disc space warnings, but getting rid of photos and stuff seemed to stop the warnings. I run a "light" phone, I never had much on it and it always seemed strange to have storage problems.

This past few weeks it has really become a problem running with 0 free space, so I purchases Ccleaner and had high hopes due to using the free version on my pc forever and have always liked it; however, Ccleaner did nothing. I then downloaded iCleaner Pro from Cydia and it actually removed 3.5 gbs of stuff. I was happy, I don't use my phone that much and figured the 3.5gb should hold. I was wrong.

This past friday at work, with my phone just sitting on my desk (doing nothing), the 3.5 gb is gone, and I can't get it back with iCleaner either. My phone was crashing, it was strange.

As I said, I run a very light phone, I have no pictures, videos on it, maybe 30 songs, I like podcasts, but I delete after I listen to them. All my what's app chats I've deleted, all my regular iphone messages are deleted, and I don't have many apps at all. I even deleted tumbler, and the space I gained, disappeared instantly.

Some apps
-Clash of Clans
-youtube to mp3
-moviebox
-whats app
-mapquest

Really that's about it.

I'm very close to just restoring to factory and re-installing everything, but I'd rather not.

Anyone have any ideas? I never really thought about it before, but could it be a virus?

Thanks in advance.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Do you have mails setup in the iPhone?
What are the cydia tweaks/apps you have installed so far?
Go to settings> general> usage> manage storage/ there it will display all your apps with the amount of spaces they are occupying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
First, that's not "memory". It's storage space. Memory is RAM. Like others say, go to Settings >General >Usage >Manage storage and see what's there taking space. Understand that not everything shows there. Most does. You listed Moviebox. Are there any downloaded movies?

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
First, that's not "memory". It's storage space. Memory is RAM. Like others say, go to Settings >General >Usage >Manage storage and see what's there taking space. Understand that not everything shows there. Most does. You listed Moviebox. Are there any downloaded movies?

Storage is also a memory. It does remember whatever you save into it. It's just not a Random Access Memory (RAM), but definitely a memory hard disc drive.
The difference between the 2 types RAM and HDD or flash memory is that the HDD and flash memory use a kind of magnetic system that keep data in place when power is out. A magnetic system that RAM lack, causing RAM to free up when power is out of it.
But at the very bargaining of their process of read/write, the 2 types are both memory as they do remember what ever you ask them to remember up their divergence point.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Storage is also a memory. It does remember whatever you save into it. It's just not a Random Access Memory (RAM), but definitely a memory hard disc drive.
The difference between the 2 types RAM and HDD or flash memory is that the HDD and flash memory use a kind of magnetic system that keep data in place when power is out. A magnetic system that RAM lack, causing RAM to free up when power is out of it.
But at the very bargaining of their process of read/write, the 2 types are both memory as they do remember what ever you ask them to remember up their divergence point.

Generally, it's RAM. It gets too confusing for some. When I had my iP 4, I got a pop up message that said my memory was low. So I deleted photos. I later realized it was RAM that it referred to. Not storage.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Generally, it's RAM. It gets too confusing for some. When I had my iP 4, I got a pop up message that said my memory was low. So I deleted photos. I later realized it was RAM that it referred to. Not storage.

Sure, you right, it's easier to keep it that way , memory=RAM and storage=HDD

mMike01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, it's not a memory issue, I have around half my memory available, it's just a HDD storage problem. The only thing CCleaner did well was clear up memory, however, according to the app it wasn't an issue anyway.

To answer some questions, i have looked at general storage to see if anything stood out, and none of the apps that screen shows is taking up any large amount of space.

In efforts to see why storage was a problem, I removed my mail a couple days ago.

I don't have any movies downloaded in moviebox. I also have xmod games and have in the past recorded video, but I removed those videos with WinSCP a while ago.

Here are things installed via cydia:
Big Boss Icon Set, Cydia Installer, Cydia Substrate, Cydia Translations, iCleaner Pro, insanelyi setup, New Movie Box, OpenSSH, Pangu 8.0-8.1.x Utether, repo support, substrate safe mode, xmodgames, xxCOCPlugin, YoutubeToMp3

Some other things I have done are removed all the repos I've added myself (not the ones installed when Cydia is installed)

I've never been on itunes with my phone, but a few weeks ago hoping it may break down storage usage for me a little bit better, I hooked my phone to itunes and I noticed a very large part of my storage was in the "other" catagory.

Thanks in advance.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Except YouTubeToMp3 and NewMovieBox, I don't see what could take out your space like that. Try to uninstall those 2 apps from cydia, but before, you should manually backup and delete any file present in those apps, after apps are delete, use icleaner pro to clean your device and then respring. If you still can not recover some space, I'm afraid you will have to factory restore and set it as new.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Get diskpie.
It will tell you exactly where every last bit of storage is.
Also, you have a 16 GB phone, about 3.5 GB is gone right away just for the iOS.
if your device downloaded the 8.4 update over the air, there's another 2 gigs gone.
If moviebox downloaded and movies or tv shows in high quality, that's probably another GB.
I think even if you delete all your messages, if you don't sync your phone, it still holds onto the attachments inside of those messages.
If you have photos and delete them, they stay in the recently deleted folder and aren't really deleted, still taking up space.

But again skip all the speculating, get disk pie, run it, see exactly where all your storage is.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1439771559.044394.jpg
Looks like that
Then you can explore deeper inside of each area.
Like if I clicked the blue apps tab, it would then break it down into just that category.
You can even delete stuff from that app!
Just make sure you are VERY ACUTELY AWARE of what you are deleting!
If you don't know EXACTLY what you are deleting don't delete it unless you are prepared to restore?

mMike01

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
All thanks for the replies, much appreciated with all the help. I tried battery doctor, but it sadly removed nothing.

3cit, your a genius. Diskpie best 2 bucks I ever spent on this phone.

I ran disk pie, and under "user library", i had 9.6 gbs used!!!, I checked it out and it turns out all this lost storage is due to BatteryLife. The BatteryLife archive was using 8 gb of storage, and the current powerlog is using 1.4gb. I couldn't delete these directly from diskpie, but I opened up WinSCP and deleted the archive manually. I figured with the word archive and powerlog I could safely delete so I took a chance. I deleted the files in the Archive folder only, and left the current power log alone, and my phone didn't brick. I now have only 4.32gb of space used on my phone, which is great.

I'm a little worried this batterylife creating such big current archive will still continue being a problem, I will have to figure out how to stop it, or at least slow it down. This also explains why i lost 3 gbs with the phone just sitting at my desk.

While I was doing this, my wife said she has an issue with lost space as well. She isn't jailbroken, anyone have a suggestion how i can check out her root files on her phone to see if there is a big batterylife archive? Will ifile work.

Well, thanks 3cit and the rest of you for taking the time to help troubleshoot!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
All thanks for the replies, much appreciated with all the help. I tried battery doctor, but it sadly removed nothing.

3cit, your a genius. Diskpie best 2 bucks I ever spent on this phone.

I ran disk pie, and under "user library", i had 9.6 gbs used!!!, I checked it out and it turns out all this lost storage is due to BatteryLife. The BatteryLife archive was using 8 gb of storage, and the current powerlog is using 1.4gb. I couldn't delete these directly from diskpie, but I opened up WinSCP and deleted the archive manually. I figured with the word archive and powerlog I could safely delete so I took a chance. I deleted the files in the Archive folder only, and left the current power log alone, and my phone didn't brick. I now have only 4.32gb of space used on my phone, which is great.

I'm a little worried this batterylife creating such big current archive will still continue being a problem, I will have to figure out how to stop it, or at least slow it down. This also explains why i lost 3 gbs with the phone just sitting at my desk.

While I was doing this, my wife said she has an issue with lost space as well. She isn't jailbroken, anyone have a suggestion how i can check out her root files on her phone to see if there is a big batterylife archive? Will ifile work.

Well, thanks 3cit and the rest of you for taking the time to help troubleshoot!

Glad you solved the riddle. Thanks for posting the resolution so others may benefit. :)

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
thats why i gave up jail breaking. every time i jail broke i had around 4 gb gone ALWAYS under the blue documents and data and the yellow other section. when you have 16 gb like i do as well your down like i think 12.55gb after os. then that other crap from jail breaking your down like to about 8-10gb. i miss jail breaking but when it takes up that much i stopped. yeah icleaner what not works but you have do it every couple days at least.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal