Tweak that deletes messages (and other stuff) permanently?

tomro99

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,
Was wondering, is there a tweak in cydia that deletes messages permanently to the point where they cant be recovered? Sort of like the WonderShare safe eraser desktop application? It would really help if someone could chime in. Thanks in advance!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Once you delete, then do a backup in iTunes they are gone from the device for good?
As for other locations? Uncle Sam has whatever you say forever?

LimonJoe

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Once you delete, then do a backup in iTunes they are gone from the device for good?
As for other locations? Uncle Sam has whatever you say forever?

This doesn't work for me. Stock 8.4, iPhone 6 is my first iPhone...and even after I delete messages, backup/sync to/with iTunes, messages can still be retrieved via spotlight search.
I really dislike it...I delete messages because I want them deleted, not hidden.
Seems impossible to actually delete messages.
So I have a question regarding the "keep messages" option under settings > messages. Will this automatically delete threads in the messages app after the designated time frame, 30days for example?
Does this option, when forever is selected, retain messages in the system indefinitely even after manually deleting them from the app?
If this setting will delete deleted, hidden messages after 30days, perfect, but I like to retain certain threads for as long as I see fit.
Thanks!

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't work for me. Stock 8.4, iPhone 6 is my first iPhone...and even after I delete messages, backup/sync to/with iTunes, messages can still be retrieved via spotlight search.
I really dislike it...I delete messages because I want them deleted, not hidden.
Seems impossible to actually delete messages.
So I have a question regarding the "keep messages" option under settings > messages. Will this automatically delete threads in the messages app after the designated time frame, 30days for example?
Does this option, when forever is selected, retain messages in the system indefinitely even after manually deleting them from the app?
If this setting will delete deleted, hidden messages after 30days, perfect, but I like to retain certain threads for as long as I see fit.
Thanks!

That definitely shouldn't be happening.
Erase messages with no sync should be searchable in spotlight, but once you sync then should be gone?

LimonJoe

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
That definitely shouldn't be happening.
Erase messages with no sync should be searchable in spotlight, but once you sync then should be gone?

They're gone from the messages app, yeah, but a spotlight search still populates the messages, contacts, etc.. when I touch the result, I'm brought to the front of the messages app

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
They're gone from the messages app, yeah, but a spotlight search still populates the messages, contacts, etc.. when I touch the result, I'm brought to the front of the messages app

That behavior is exactly as expected once you delete a message, but before you sync. Once you sync, (maybe you have to actually back it up to the computer) it should clear the list of deleted messages. What's happening to you, with them not going away after you sync is not the normal behavior?
You can also stop spotlight from displaying text matches, which might be a temporary workaround