Will jailbreaking somehow mess my baseband chip

roostaamir

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi there all
The last iDevice I had was an ipodTouch 3g and I was a big fan of jailbreaking and It was the first thing I did to my ipod after I synced it with itunes for the first time.
Now I've got an iphone 6 with ios8.1.2 and I'm planning to jailbreak it using TaiG application and I'm having a serious questions about it.
I'm not planning to downgrade or anything since I think I read somewhere that there's no way to save the phones shsh anymore in newer ios devices(I'm coming from ios 5.1, so if I'm wrong, correct me) so that ship has sailed.
The main question that I have is about the phone's "baseband".
with my ipod, I didn't have to worry about my baseband since it didn't have a radio, but now, with my new iphone 6, things are different.I'm worrying that if I jailbreak my iphone, it will mess with my baseband in the long run (since I read this somewhere I don't recall).and I will be having problems updating my device to newer software do to baseband issues (errors 11, and 12 I think during iphone restore as I read)
So my final questions are :
- will jailbreaking really gonna mess with my phone's baseband chip?
- and what are the cautions I should take regarding the phone's baseband and overall IF jailbreaking is safe (with safe I mean in a way that I can use my phone for another two years)

Thanks in advance for your kind answers
best regards

anon(8708013)

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Jailbreaking in and of itself doesn't do anything to the baseband. There used to be tweaks that upgraded / downgraded the baseband for unlocking purposes but they are no longer valid (someone chime in if I'm incorrect please). Also, being that you can no longer save the SHSH blobs you can't downgrade the iOS version either which could cause incompatibilities from iOS being a lower version and the baseband being from the upgraded version of iOS. You should be ok. I don't personally advocate jailbreaking as the benefits that jailbreaking used to offer are mostly all found in iOS now. Also with jailbreaking you sometimes can't upgrade your iOS version without losing your jailbreak, making you lose out on the fixes that Apple provides in the update. That being said, jailbreaking is safe, just make sure you read up on it before doing it. There are plenty of forums including the jailbreaking forums here at iMore. I hope I've answered your questions.

WP7Nettwerk

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Jailbreak doesn't affect Baseband. You shouldn't worry about it. If you gonna unlock than yes. But as far I know, there isn't any software unlock tool for iPhone 4/5/6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Also, being that you can no longer save the SHSH blobs you can't downgrade the iOS version either which could cause incompatibilities from iOS being a lower version and the baseband being from the upgraded version of iOS.

That's not technically accurate. You can still save the blobs. But, nobody has found a way to use them with the newer hardware and it's unlikely anyone is putting any effort into it these days.

I don't personally advocate jailbreaking as the benefits that jailbreaking used to offer are mostly all found in iOS now. Also with jailbreaking you sometimes can't upgrade your iOS version without losing your jailbreak, making you lose out on the fixes that Apple provides in the update.

You often can get fixes from tweaks. A lot of these fixes are of negligible gain. If you've opted to remain on an older iOS to maintain the jailbreak and bypass the fixes, it's pretty clear the value gained from the jailbreak outweighs the bug fixes. It's like arguing that they're giving up $1 to keep $10. If they think the fixes are more valuable, they'll upgrade and lose the jailbreak. None of that is relevant to the current state. That's all future hypothetical ideas.

anon(8708013)

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
That's not technically accurate. You can still save the blobs. But, nobody has found a way to use them with the newer hardware and it's unlikely anyone is putting any effort into it these days.

That's actually what I meant. I worded it wrong, thanks for the correction!

You often can get fixes from tweaks. A lot of these fixes are of negligible gain. If you've opted to remain on an older iOS to maintain the jailbreak and bypass the fixes, it's pretty clear the value gained from the jailbreak outweighs the bug fixes. It's like arguing that they're giving up $1 to keep $10. If they think the fixes are more valuable, they'll upgrade and lose the jailbreak. None of that is relevant to the current state. That's all future hypothetical ideas.

I didn't think of that. Thanks for the input!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro