Can you help me with newbie questions for the iPhone 6?

Boerman

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Newbie questions iPhone 6

It may come as a shock to everybody here, but I have resisted the notion of smart phones until last week. All I wanted was a phone. Not a camera; not a game system; no text; not a GPS device. Just a phone. But I finally gave in last week and ordered the new iPhone 6 and I have some catching up to do. I'd still be happy to stick with my old relic flip phone but we have an errant teenager that we are afraid we are going to lose. She's already been in a little trouble and we find the need to keep closer tabs on her. I really don't care about all her normal day-to-day chit chat but we need to be able to find her in case of emergency. I have read about monitoring/tracking software and I think that is what we need. But I see that the phone will need to be jailbroken in order to install it. Hence my questions. I've read the definitions and info about jailbreaking and I am still not sure I am clear on a lot of this stuff, so plain english answers would be appreciated. So, here goes:

1. I assume the phone comes with iOSsomething already installed but there seems to be updates already available. But there is no jailbreak yet. So, when I get the phone, will I need to wait to activate it until there is a jailbreak available and will updates to the iOS be automatically installed?
2. After I install the monitoring app, even if there is an update that closes the exploit that allowed the jailbreak, will an app that is already installed remain on the phone?
3. Similarly, if the SIM card is changed, does the monitoring app remain intact?

BTW, I realize this would have been easier if I had ordered a different phone but it's a little late now.

Any knowledgeable responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Newbie questions iPhone 6

In ios 8 within the family share there is share my location feature. We have used it with success. Our kids are not yet teenagers though.

The problem with any of these monitoring solutions is that no matter what it is someone can circumvent it very easily if they want to. For example, turning the device off.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to iMore Boerman

We have no idea if or when there will be an available Jailbreak for iOS 8 but you have a few options as long as the Teenager is willing to allow you to track her location

Boerman

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

thanks for the quick replies. With teens, it isn't always easy to get their agreement to be tracked. If they don't know they are being tracked, it is much less likely that they will circumvent. Also, if they do get around the tracking, it would be helpful to be able to read emails and texts to locate them. Her mom is a worrywort. Our first daghter was never any trouble but, like most teens, she hated to be asked where she's going, etc. So I put a GPS tracker on her car. She never knew it was there and it allowed me/us to give her much more freedom without any friction. If she was late getting home from school, I could get online and assure her mom that she had stopped by a friend's house and had not been abducted by aliens.

Boerman

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

well, the phone was just delivered and I still don't have any answers. :( If I turn it on, is anything going to happen that I can't reverse? Once it is activated, will it receive updated iOS, or do I need to actively perform any updates?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

well, the phone was just delivered and I still don't have any answers. :( If I turn it on, is anything going to happen that I can't reverse? Once it is activated, will it receive updated iOS, or do I need to actively perform any updates?

The phones comes out of the box with ios8, you won't be able to jailbreak for a while.
Turn find my iPhone on, and set it up with a password that only the guardians know.
If the kid resists then you're in trouble, also when phone is off tracking won't work either.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods