Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

42 Posts
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

Default Jailbreak Junkie - trying to quit cold turkey...

Current specs: 5s iOS 7.04

I've been jail breaking since the iPhone 4, I upgrade every time a new model comes out, and I always try to restore from backups using xBackup & PkgBackup.. Yeah - I'm really lazy!! ;-)

Over the years I'm sure I have built up tons of orphaned files and junk left over from previous iOS versions and jailbreak tweaks. Problem is, I have no idea of all the various file locations that tweaks like to hide in!

I want to proactively update my iOS and drop jail breaking on my 5s prior to ios 8 getting released. My goal is to get my current 5s restored to factory, but with fresh installs of all my apps, with all my app data intact, but with no traces of prior tweaks. That way, when my new iPhone 6 arrives next week I'll be able to set it up CLEAN, with no remnants of any prior tweaks lurking hidden in the file system.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Default Re: Jailbreak Junkie - trying to quit cold turkey...

I'll be the first to tell you that I know jack Squat about jailbreaking. Having said that, it is my understanding that an iCloud or iTunes backup will not back up your unofficial apps or jailbreak tweaks, but it will backup the data to App Store approved apps. If that's true, then it may be best that you do both an iCloud and an iTunes backup, and then put your device in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes, and restore it. Afterwards, restore the backup you made either from iCloud or from iTunes. Hopefully, someone with jailbreak knowledge will chime in soon....
    iMore Pro

617 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,448 Global Posts

Default Re: Jailbreak Junkie - trying to quit cold turkey...

best way to do this for you and anyone like you in the future is to do a itunes or icloud backup, do a restore of the device in itunes then once the restore is complete just restore your backup you made and all signs of jailbreak are gone and your phone like just like it should be out of the box and with all your apps and settings back how they were minus your jailbreak settings and tweaks.