Should I use PanGu for my primary device?

warri0rgaming

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I am new to the iMore forums, though I am a member of other various forums. I should be able to find my way.
I have heard of the recently released PanGu jailbreak for iOS 7.1.1. I have a few questions, and I would greatly appreciate it if I got them all answered.

1) Should I jailbreak now, or wait for IOS 7.1.2?
2) Should I accidentally leave the 25Pp checkbox checked, what do I do? I am not a supporter of piracy.
3) Will it erase any data/settings? I really would like to keep my stuff.
4) Are there any annoying boot logo modifications/PanGu junk installed alongside Cydia?

Thank you for your time
-Warri0rGaming(warrior0225 on Epic Games forums)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause I'm busy slaying stuff(noe im not)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore warri0rgaming

If you wait to update your OS you might not have the JB option with 7.1.2

IMore doesn't support or condone piracy

It's always advised to backup your device to iTunes or iCloud to safeguard your data

None that I read so far

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
I am new to the iMore forums, though I am a member of other various forums. I should be able to find my way.
I have heard of the recently released PanGu jailbreak for iOS 7.1.1. I have a few questions, and I would greatly appreciate it if I got them all answered.

1) Should I jailbreak now, or wait for IOS 7.1.2?
2) Should I accidentally leave the 25Pp checkbox checked, what do I do? I am not a supporter of piracy.
3) Will it erase any data/settings? I really would like to keep my stuff.
4) Are there any annoying boot logo modifications/PanGu junk installed alongside Cydia?

Thank you for your time
-Warri0rGaming(warrior0225 on Epic Games forums)

Welcome to iMore! I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer #1 and #2.
#1: ih8snow confirmed that iOS 7.1.2 should be jail-breakable, since apple already seeded it carriers and would have to update it and seed to carriers again if they wanted to make it un-jailbreakable.
#2: download PPsync remover from cydia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warri0rgaming

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer #1 and #2.
#1: ih8snow confirmed that iOS 7.1.2 should be jail-breakable, since apple already seeded it carriers and would have to update it and seed to carriers again if they wanted to make it un-jailbreakable.
#2: download PPsync remover from cydia.

Thanks! I have heard that an update is coming. Should I wait?

warri0rgaming

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
NVM, I have iOS 7.0.6 ssh

Edit: I feel stupid. Only a4 based devices can use shsh blobs to sign IPAs. I did perform the jailbreak and it works fine.

Last edited:

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
A few thoughts.

You should NEVER wait when dealing with a jailbreak. There's two possible scenarios. 7.1.2 will be jailbreakable or it won't. Let's look at the two options. If it's jailbreakable and you don't wait, the only penalty is you update your iOS twice and run the jailbreak twice. It's not a huge penalty. If you waited, you'd only do this process once. If 7.1.2 isn't jailbreakable, waiting means you won't get to do it. That's a greater "hassle" than running the process twice if 7.1.2 can be jailbroken. The word "should" is not the same as the word "is." Nobody knows if 7.1.2 will be patched prior to release. Jailbreaking works in windows. Once that window closes, it's closed for a long time. If you want it, waiting is ALWAYS the wrong option.

If you installed the piracy store, there's nothing making you use it. It'd be similar to going to a shopping center that has a liquor store if you don't drink. You can walk right by the store and go to the grocery store you really wanted to shop at. Having an app you never open doesn't make you a pirate. It also doesn't mean you support piracy. I'm sure there are ways to remove the app, but I'm not going to research at the moment. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world.

Jailbreaking doesn't generally cause any data issues. You should always run a backup before doing anything with your OS. This is true when you're updating to a new official version of iOS as well. When you upgrade to iOS8, for example, you'll run a backup prior to making this change. If you do this when updating official versions, you should certainly do this for unsupported changes. Personally, I've never had an issue with data/settings changes in a jailbreak. But, I'm a sample of one. You can't safely assume the experience will be the same.

I haven't heard of any boot logo modifications. Although, I'm not sure this is THAT big of a deal. How often are you rebooting? I generally boot once a week so I rarely see my boot icon. I haven't seen anyone here complaining about bloatware outside of the piracy store. There are already fixes to work with that posted.

You mention your blobs(you forgot an H though). Which device do you have? If you have anything iPhone 4s or newer, these are useless to you. Don't trust those mean you'll be able to return to 7.0.6.

warri0rgaming

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't use shsh(typo ^) so I did it. Now I'm wondering whether or not to restore and re-JB with the new version. it uses a new infoleak bug that i0n1c had no part of discovering.

warri0rgaming

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
You mention your blobs(you forgot an H though). Which device do you have? If you have anything iPhone 4s or newer, these are useless to you. Don't trust those mean you'll be able to return to 7.0.6.

Oh, that was a typo, making me seem somewhat technologically challenged :) I have an A6 based device and an A4. I just realized my blobs were obsolete.

warri0rgaming

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh, that was a typo that slipped by me, making me seem somewhat technologically challenged :) I have an A6 based device and an A4. I just realized my blobs were obsolete.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I hesitated at first but glad I went for it! It's all good for me!

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I waited a few days but finally jailbroke my iPhone 5S and about to do my iPad Air.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

Pangu越狱工具(Pangu.io)

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

Just a heads up, the Mac version failed on my device. The Windows version worked fine. I'm not sure if that's something that's true for more than my device, Verizon iPhone 5's, or something more widespread. But, it's something to be aware of prior to taking the plunge.

warrior, why do you care which exploit is used to achieve the untethered jailbreak? you'd be restoring to jailbreak again and maintain the same functionality you currently have. that just seems silly. you should be more disappointed they burned another exploit that wasn't needed. it doesn't make any sense for them to change the exploits they're using as it only makes it more likely they'll be patched going forward =/

warri0rgaming

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
warrior, why do you care which exploit is used to achieve the untethered jailbreak? you'd be restoring to jailbreak again and maintain the same functionality you currently have. that just seems silly. you should be more disappointed they burned another exploit that wasn't needed. it doesn't make any sense for them to change the exploits they're using as it only makes it more likely they'll be patched going forward =/

I am quite pissed about them burning another exploit, but what are you gonna do? I was just thinking that it could be more stable. Also, i0n1c has referred to the PanGu team as thieves, and I do not want to be involved.