Was 7.1 worth loosing Jailbreak?

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people have upgraded to 7.1 (and beyond) and given up their Jailbreak. For others, 7.1 did not bring enough new features to make going back to stock worthwhile. I wasn't going to at first but they I started experiencing some stability issues and heavy battery drain with my phone along with constantly rebooting or respringing at odd times every day, several times a day. All of that and the promise of better battery life with iOS 7.1.1 and I almost pulled the trigger. Then, I opened Cydia and starting paying attention to what I had downloaded recently and determined that Winterboard was causing my problems which I find odd. After removing it and a couple of other tweaks that I never took to using the problems are solved. I still want more battery life (who doesn't) but for me personally, it was not worth loosing BiteSMS, Auxo 2, and JellyLock7, all of which I use constantly throughout the day. So, has anyone out there pulled the trigger and happy about it? Anybody pulled the trigger and regretting it? Any one staying Jailbroken and thinking about upgrading? Are you still deciding what to do? What were the reasons behind your decision?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For my friends who gave up their jailbreak for iOS 7.1, it had nothing to do with new features. iOS 7 to iOS 7.0.x was very buggy. Many crashes, especially Safari crashes. This was only on the 5s with the 64 bit. 7.1 fixed those issues and it was more important than the jailbreak. To them it was. What fun is a jailbreak if it's riddled with bugs and crashes?

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm still jailbroken on 7.0.4 on my iPad and yes I do see some app force closures each day. Battery life is way, way worse than it was under iOS 6.x

I'm holding out in the hopes that a JB for 7.1.x will become available but it's not looking likely at the moment.

I am considering a return to stock but I will really miss a couple of tweaks, such as Intelliscreen X and CleverPin (especially CleverPIn).

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I updated my 5S to iOS 7.1 but downgraded my iPod touch from iOS 7.1 beta 5 to iOS 7.0.6 and jailbroke it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or Jailbroken 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm still jailbroken on 7.0.4 on my iPad and yes I do see some app force closures each day. Battery life is way, way worse than it was under iOS 6.x

I'm holding out in the hopes that a JB for 7.1.x will become available but it's not looking likely at the moment.

I am considering a return to stock but I will really miss a couple of tweaks, such as Intelliscreen X and CleverPin (especially CleverPIn).

They won't waste exploits for 7.1.

And for the OP, battery and stability is superb on 7.1.1 so I say yes it's totally worth it.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have an iphone5 7.06 running a very happy jailbreak. I have winterboard installed with no problems.
There are so many tempting and potentially exciting apps and tweaks available that when too many are applied at once you have no way to tell which ones are causing a conflict resulting in crashes and or battery drain.
Taking a step back any being just a little analytical about what you have installed rather than the immediate blaming of the iOS or the favorite scapegoat...your jailbreak, you just might be a bit more successful on isolating a problem.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an iphone5 7.06 running a very happy jailbreak. I have winterboard installed with no problems.
There are so many tempting and potentially exciting apps and tweaks available that when too many are applied at once you have no way to tell which ones are causing a conflict resulting in crashes and or battery drain.
Taking a step back any being just a little analytical about what you have installed rather than the immediate blaming of the iOS or the favorite scapegoat...your jailbreak, you just might be a bit more successful on isolating a problem.
That may be true in some cases. But it was all 5s 64 bit iPhones that were having the crashes. Not just jailbroken ones. It was the iOS 7 not playing well with 64 bit. 7.1 fixed that. And, unfortunately, there's no jailbreak for that. Not yet! :)

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That may be true in some cases. But it was all 5s 64 bit iPhones that were having the crashes. Not just jailbroken ones. It was the iOS 7 not playing well with 64 bit. 7.1 fixed that. And, unfortunately, there's no jailbreak for that. Not yet! :)

Yep. My phone went into safe mode often and I dealt with it, but when it started to happen everytime I put it to sleep, enough was enough. I'm quite satisfied with 7.1. No restarts at all. The new little features are nice. My favorite is the grayness when reduce transparency is enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep. My phone went into safe mode often and I dealt with it, but when it started to happen everytime I put it to sleep, enough was enough. I'm quite satisfied with 7.1. No restarts at all. The new little features are nice. My favorite is the grayness when reduce transparency is enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had something installed that was causing your safe mode problems. I have no such problems on two iPads and a 5S.

As for the question about 7.1, I had bough an iPad Air with the intention of upgrading it to 7.1 and keeping my Mini on 7.0.4 to keep my JB. I used it for a week on 7.1 and decided my JB wasn't worth it and exchanged it for a higher capacity. I got it home and left it on 7.0.4 and JB it immediately. Been that way for over a month now.

There is nothing special on 7.1 worth losing the Jailbreak over. I still had resprings when I was on 7.1 and in fact, on 7.0.4, i haven't had a respring in at least two weeks now on either iPad.

samanthpad

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
More than 70 % of people upgraded their devices into latest 7.1 - But jailbreak is not available.

We can use tethered jailbreak solution with geeksn0w, but i never jailbroken my iPhone 4 GSM with geeksn0w.

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
*Update* After a couple of days with no random reboots and resprings the problems started again. My next step is to uninstall Auxo2 and will probably go back to CCControls until Auxo2 gets updated with more stability (unless I find other problems). Still wishing for better battery life but I am determined to gut it out until the Jailbreak team comes through. It may cost me a few more 7.x updates but Jailbreak is worth it to me. Interesting hearing everyone's opinions though! Thanks for responding everyone!

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I agree with what you are saying and those are the steps I am taking. I think you might have misunderstood me a bit but I am with you! My iPhone is much happier being Jailbroken! :)

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
More stability was worth losing the jailbreak for me. A jailbreak with the stability of 7.1.1 would be great but 7.0.x was just really buggy and eventually led me to restoring to 7.1.1

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying and those are the steps I am taking. I think you might have misunderstood me a bit but I am with you! My iPhone is much happier being Jailbroken! :)

Hi William :) ohh my reply was probably directed at the ones who constantly blame everything in more general terms on having a jailbreak :)
I wonder if you can think of a app or something you just used that you had not accessed in a few days that could be the cause. Its puzzling that the problem stopped and now resumed ... Darn!!

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi William :) ohh my reply was probably directed at the ones who constantly blame everything in more general terms on having a jailbreak :)
I wonder if you can think of a app or something you just used that you had not accessed in a few days that could be the cause. Its puzzling that the problem stopped and now resumed ... Darn!!

I am usually pretty good at keeping a mental tab on what jailbreak apps I have installed and in what order. Auxo2 is definitely my next step to try. I am going to try that this evening and test it for a few days. If that is it, I hope the dev will update soon. I love that app! Otherwise, I use almost all of my jailbreak apps daily, especially Auxo2 so thats why i am left wondering how the reboots/repsrings stopped then started again.

For anyone considering Jailbreak, that is the thing to think about is how much a couple of small tweaks can improve an already very good experience with your i-device!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro