Keep iphone 5s or get a note 3?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Another thing to consider when picking between android and apples is ease of repair…
iPhone is a demon beast when it comes to repairs and androids can be repaired with a simple precision screwdriver and some online tutorials.
However with that easy repair comes and incredibly steep drop in value almost immediately after purchase.
iPhone 4 can still sell on eBay around 100 bucks and an android of that generation simply has no resale value at all.

That's because iPhones are only manufactured by Apple, so demand outpaces supply routinely. Even Apple routinely has trouble keeping enough iPhones in stock to sell, with people waiting weeks to get theirs after a launch. They are smart about this. This is simple economics.

Android devices form that generation were competing with dozens of other Android devices of that generation.

The same way OEMs drive each other's prices down in the competitive marketplace, this also happens with Android devices on the used devices market.

The iPhone 4 competes with no other device for someone who is looking for a 2010-era iOS device. The only thing that exists is the iPhone 4. This allows iOS device prices to depreciate at a much slower rate than Android devices, despite having (these days) worse hardware and being less capable machines (from a software standpoint). "Support and Updates" is no longer a factor as OEMs like Samsung have been supporting their flagships for 2+ years lately.

That also has nothing to do with repairability (if anything, a iPhone that is a touch repair will actually drop in value more since it's a PITA for the average Joe or Jane to even replace the battery when it stops holding a decent charge, etc.).

Also, back then the iPhone was technologically ahead of other devices in a few key areas. For one, it had a Retina IPS LCD screen, which was easily superior to the WVGA Android flagship devices back then (PPI, Viewing Angles, Color Reproduction, Quality of the Glass Used, Sunlight Readability, etc.). It was also only ~0.5 inches smaller than flagships like the Galaxy S. It had a FFC, which was missing on a lot of Android flagships back then. The Back Camera on the iPhone was better than most Android flagships back then, but that advantage has been virtually eliminated since then. The design of Android devices has improved tremendously since then.

This have almost completely flip-flopped since then, but the competition in the Android hardware ecosystem will always keep resale prices down. It's just not possible to demand such high resale values when you have almost equivalent competing devices getting sold for the same or less, and with everyone wanting to offload their devices, and there being so many of them, they tend to drop faster. The iPhone has a nice advantage in that regard, but you have to suffer with iOS to take advantage of it.

Lastly, the iPhone base prices are marked up quite high cause Apple likes their huge profit margins. A Galaxy Note 3 (32GB Base SKU) is about $50 cheaper than an iPhone 5S 32GB (VZW price at least, since that's the carrier I use). In addition to that, Android devices these days tend to have superior carrier portability than iPhones, so a person can often reuse an Android device on another carrier where an iPhone cannot be repurposed in the same way. This further dilutes the market since it inflates the amount of usable phones for a lot of people, which can in turn help drive prices down further.

Almost forgot, the existence of cheap Google Play phones also helps keep resale values down. People are less willing to pay $500 for a Mint Samsung device when they can run to Play Store and get a Nexus 5 for $150 less, brand new.

Windows Phone and Blackberry resale values are quite low because there isn't much demand for those devices.

---

Apart from the tiny screen and the fact that Apple intentionally delays adoption of tried and true, tested technology in its phones to give themselves room to sell upgrades, the iPhones are decent hardware.

My issues with them is the software. iOS is almost too basic and too restrictive. It almost feels like using a more powerful feature phone than a smartphone to me.

For people with less needs and less-complicated demands of their smart devices, however... They are perfectly viable.

Last edited:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
For people with less needs and less-complicated demands of their smart devices, however... They are perfectly viable.

This has become almost laughable as people continue to push this opinion off as fact. Having owned the entire Samsung flagship line since the S3, along with each iphone, I have come to the conclusion that many android enthusiists simply do not know how to work an iphone. They write it off as restrictive and simple, yet I can manipulate mine to be as productive (often more productive) than my android counterparts. I am about as power use as it gets, and my iphone runs circles around my android devices. My demands are very complicated, and my iphone meets each one. Differently than the way android operates? Certainly. But different certainly doesnt equate to worse.

Now, there are those out there who simply cannot imagine daily life without a widget sitting on their screen or tinkering with a live wallpaper or launcher. If that is their perogative in a phone....then android is the clear winner. I for one am not that guy. IOS is extremely fluent, stable, and efficient. Some mistake this for boring and stale. But hey, I guess that is the reason android phones have pages upon pages upon more pages of people with issues, problems, and complaints whereas we at imore, well, don't lol.

Last edited:

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
This thread makes me want to get rid of my Note 3 and get a 5S now I am iPhone-less again after my unfortunate water-based accident. :(

Must. Hang. On. 'til iPhone 6 launch. ><

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
get a note 3 my iphone crashed after their latest update and want to charge me?209 to fix it

Welcome to iMore. I note (see what I did there?) that your four posts all follow a similar theme. Perhaps you could enlighten us further so we can hopefully assist you. I have a very hard time accepting Apple want to charge you ?209 to fix a software error.

buylocal_getaBB

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Get the best compromise device, the z30. Runs 85% of android apps, allows for muchhh more customization than an iphone, AND you get the multitasking/messaging ability of bb10 (hub, great keyboard etc). With old os7 I completely understand the bb bashing, but the new OS deserves a place up their with the best OS's on the planet. Besides, breaking the duopoly in mobile OS is good for innovation and competition, and therefore good for everyone.

rustymini

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay peeps have been trying to decide what to do. Should I get a galaxy note 3 instead of using my iphone 5s?
What makes me think of switching is being able to customize my phone. The only way to customize an iphone is jailbreak and it's still not the same.
Givens your thoughts.
Thanks
Gilbert
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wait for the Note 4,but do what makes you happy. :)

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd wait for the Note 4,but do what makes you happy. :)

I think it depends on how often you upgrade. If only once a year you may want to wait. If more often, yeah, go ahead for the Note 3 if that's the experience you believe you want.

via one of the t@blets

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This has become almost laughable as people continue to push this opinion off as fact. Having owned the entire Samsung flagship line since the S3, along with each iphone, I have come to the conclusion that many android enthusiists simply do not know how to work an iphone. They write it off as restrictive and simple, yet I can manipulate mine to be as productive (often more productive) than my android counterparts. I am about as power use as it gets, and my iphone runs circles around my android devices. My demands are very complicated, and my iphone meets each one. Differently than the way android operates? Certainly. But different certainly doesnt equate to worse.

Now, there are those out there who simply cannot imagine daily life without a widget sitting on their screen or tinkering with a live wallpaper or launcher. If that is their perogative in a phone....then android is the clear winner. I for one am not that guy. IOS is extremely fluent, stable, and efficient. Some mistake this for boring and stale. But hey, I guess that is the reason android phones have pages upon pages upon more pages of people with issues, problems, and complaints whereas we at imore, well, don't lol.

How to work an iPhone? Is that a joke? Or just a laughable conclusion...

There isn't anything "to work" when you try to export a Video from OneDrive to the Camera Roll. It's simply not possible short of finding a 3rd party app (so tired of this) to try to get it done. You can export to iMovie, that's it. You cannot change the playback speed of video in the video player, last I checked, nor can you frame step forwards and backwards and take frame captures with an on-screen button. You can't record 60FPS 1080p video, and just to change the Video or Photo Resolution you need to install a 3rd party camera app. The gallery/photos app is anemic. Inter-App Sharing is pathetic. Notifications are annoyingly implemented (though I do like the use of Notification Badges as a standard feature on the platform).

There are gaps everywhere. In the 10 days I owned that iPhone I had spent over $20 in apps just to fill in functionality gaps, and I was seemingly still going strong. It simply wasn't something I was looking forward to doing for months/years...

The 5S wasn't the first iOS device I've tried. It was the first time I've tried to use it as my only phone (daily driver). It's not usable to me. That has nothing to do with not knowing how to work the phone (which requires almost no work, and I tend to set things up immediately so I never have to setting-hunt even on my Samsung devices), but the fact that the phone limits what you can accomplish on it and isn't as ergonomic as other devices for some types of tasks. That makes you look at things a whole lot differently than if it's being used as a secondary device.

There isn't much to "learn" with an iPhone and there certainly isn't much to "work."

The software on the Note 3 has a much higher learning curve than the iPhone could ever hope to have, do to the fact that the phone is so much more capable than an iPhone. iOS is a super-simple user experience, and yes, quite restrictive. I can use it on something like an iTouch no problem, but it's not usable as a daily driver for me because it simply doesn't allow me to do what I need to do, and I'm talking about more than playing games or pinging messages back and forth.

The Note 3 I have has been performing flawlessly since I got it, and I don't have to deal with any of the restrictions or depend so heavily on third party apps to get things done. The device is simply more productive. You don't have to be a biased android fan to notice the difference. I was paying dollars for apps to get things done that my Galaxy S III could do out of the box - never mind a Note 3 - on the iPhone 5S. I prefer not to invest so heavily in any ecosystem. I like platform mobility.

I didn't even tell the OP what phone to get, like some people here. I just disagreed with what some other poster wrote about the device.

There are an order of a magnitude more Android users than iOS users so of course there will be more people, and more pages reporting issues.

EDIT: Also, I don't Root, MOD, or Customize my devices. I use Stock FW and simply disable the preloads. The only widget I have on my phone is the stock Weather Widget and the Search Widget, which in reality is no different than swiping down to get to Spotlight Search or having the weather in the Notification Center. I don't use any of that stuff, and I consider myself a power user (I'm sure many others would agree with that if they knew me and how much [and in which ways] I use my devices). The idea that Android users stay with Android because it's customizable is farcical. The reason why Android is popular with those people is cause it's capable not necessarily because it's customizable. What you see on these tech forums is but a subset of the entire user base. Don't get it twisted and mistake them for "the average Joe" going into a Carrier store and getting a Note 3, One, S4, or G2.

The reason I got rid of the 5S was because it was incapable of doing a lot of stuff that I needed to do to be productive, which the Samsung devices do with ease out of the box. I also feel like the user experience is way too dependent on 3rd party applications, since the stock applications tend to be so thin in functionality and power. Unlike a lot of the people you see on these tech forums, I tend to like Clean Stock Devices that are quite capable out of the box, because I have better things to do than spend hours perusing an app store. I have 11 Apps downloaded onto my phone: Of those, 8 are from Google, Samsung, Microsoft, or Facebook. Then there's Tapatalk and Words with Friends which leaves 1 app left - Coach's Eye, which I use for work and training.

Last edited:

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sold my iphone 5 to get a note 3 and I love it. I have been a long time ios user and I just thought it was time for a change. I always thought if iphone 6 comes out with a huge screen I will go back, but I really do love the wacom integration and using the s pen on my note 3. If you don't mind the huge size of the phone, get it. The only thing that the note 3 lacks in is low light photography but I can live with that.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay peeps have been trying to decide what to do. Should I get a galaxy note 3 instead of using my iphone 5s?
What makes me think of switching is being able to customize my phone. The only way to customize an iphone is jailbreak and it's still not the same.
Givens your thoughts.
Thanks
Gilbert

I am contemplating doing the same thing but for more than just the customizability. The larger screen is really a draw for me, and if the next iPhone does not have a larger screen, I will have to say I will not be buying the next iPhone. Another factor holding me back is waiting to see the s5 and new htc one in person before jumping on the note. That and I like trying new things.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I guess people use their devices differently. Most the time, when I interact with my mobile devices I want the experience to be as smooth and simple as possible so I can focus on what I want to do and not how I need to do it. iOS is amazing to me for this. If I need to get complex while I'm mobile I remote desktop to a waiting full-fledged computer. As long as I have internet access I can remote to my waiting computer and its as if I'm sitting in front of it. My iPhones and iPods all have AT&T LTE so great internet access can be taken for granted. So no, I don't need a phone with a file manager or need the ability to be able to molest files or video. ...Don't need to be able to zip/unzip files on my phone, etc. See, Android has shown me that to do those things on the handset comes with a cost. A cost I no longer wish to pay. The Android mobile answers to those tasks is not better for me than using a full-powered waiting computer. So, I don't want to give up the simplicity and elegance of iOS so I can do esoteric things on my phone. ...but, if I do I just remote desktop to a real computer when the need arises. It's instant. It's fast. It's smooth. ...and I don't have to give up iOS to use it.

via one of the t@blets

Jessicalt1

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Definitely enhanced. I generally gravitate towards TW based ROMs. They take stock and then tweak it to perfection. I have always experienced a lot of bugs and instability using CM/AOSP based firmware. Samsung integrates touch wiz well and it's just a little bloat and de-odexing needed to make it perfect.

?Sent from space using Tapatalk.?

I miss rooting and custom roms! But the fragmentation of android always drove me nuts.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
There are really good things about android, but I got my G Pad 8.3 back from my his Highnesses, The Morsel, my son since I got him an iPad 2. What I notice is that android is laggy (at least on that tablet) and the same apps for Android lack the refinement their iOS counterparts display. I see no good reason for that but its noticeable to me. Using the G Pad 8.3 made me realize why I now have 4 iOS devices and 1 android tablet.

via the tablet

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW