OTA iOS 7.1 Update interfering with jailbreak?

e_e13

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey there

So I'm finally ready for my first jailbreak (after a couple of weeks contemplating and watching guides), but just as I download Evasion7 I notice this at the bottom of the page:

"Warning! Over The Air updates of iOS 7 are known to create an issue and make the jailbreak fail. Some devices are then stuck on the Apple Boot Logo. Until we fix that, please restore your device to 7.0.x with iTunes first."

Turns out my iPad mini downloaded 7.1 by itself over the air. However, it's not installed- I'm still rocking 7.0.4. Now i'm not sure whether to go ahead with the jailbreak since this warning seems a little ambiguous- is it referring to updates installed over the air, or just updates downloaded over the air? Can I go ahead with the jailbreak?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

It's been advised to do a clean restore thru iTunes before Jailbreaking your device problem is if you restore now you will be getting the 7.1 version of the OS which I believe can't be broken

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Just try and jailbreak using evasion. If it works? you're good to go?
(While being susceptible to a man in the middle attack)
But at least you'll be jailbroken?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore

It's been advised to do a clean restore thru iTunes before Jailbreaking your device problem is if you restore now you will be getting the 7.1 version of the OS which I believe can't be broken

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

Did you read his post? He's interested in jailbreaking. That means it's advised to ignore everything you said as that is the single thing that will prevent jailbreaking.

3cit has it right. Try with evasion. If it works, good. If not, it won't work regardless and you SHOULD be updating to 7.1 to eliminate the security issue in 7.0.x. So worst case, you upgrade. Either way, you don't want to be where you are right now.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I think the OP will be okay to jailbreak. I'd go ahead and attempt it myself. Just make sure your lock screen/finger print scanner is disabled. Also make sure all your apps are fully closed by either restarting the device or double taping and closing them. Good luck!

?Sent from the colored one using Tapatalk?

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Go for the jailbreak. There is a fix for the SSL issue available in Cydia called SSLPatch in BigBoss repo. No need to be unsecured because you didn't update the OS.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Did you read his post? He's interested in jailbreaking. That means it's advised to ignore everything you said as that is the single thing that will prevent jailbreaking.

3cit has it right. Try with evasion. If it works, good. If not, it won't work regardless and you SHOULD be updating to 7.1 to eliminate the security issue in 7.0.x. So worst case, you upgrade. Either way, you don't want to be where you are right now.

There is a package in Cydia that patches the security hole.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
OP is long gone by now.
Now it's just a bunch of us talking about how he might or might not be able to jailbreak.
And answer is, he should try. If he can't jailbreak he needs to update. If he can jailbreak he needs to do it and then install ssl security patch.

But like I said, OP is long gone