Pros/cons?

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Can I please have some legit pros and cons of jailbreaking. I'm still on the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
And I made a new thread even though it's been asked a bunch because I want actual pros/cons.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
For me the pros have kind of dwindled with each iteration of IOS. But I will list mine for you (these are only my personal experiences)
PROs:
The ability to apply new themes and keep the experience fresh and interesting
The ability to place apps wherever I choose on the screen
Quick compose and quick reply for text messaging
Added a weather widget to my home screen that shows up-to-date information
Now have the ability to lock certain apps/folders either by passcode or TouchID
f.lux gives a much, much more eye appeasing screen tone in the evening which saves on the eyes
I have customized the colors of my text message bubbles, tweaked control and notification centers, etc.
Tether for 'free' after you consider the one-time cost of the app
CONs:
Tendency to have to respring or the occasional crash
Cannot simply update to the newest IOS release
Many things I use or install cost $, some a hefty cost especially if you get addicted to customizing and theming
I have a lot of space being taken up by presumably corrupt files due to jailbreaking (14GB)

For me, jailbreaking is a no brainer. The cons are not consistent in that I can go days or weeks without a crash or need to respiring. The Pros are there every time I fire up my phone. Nothing appears to be coming in IOS 7.1 from what I can see that would cause me to give up my jailbreak. Maybe IOS 8? But even then I doubt it. But when I get the next iPhone in Sept or whenever it is released I will be forced to give up my JB and i will go through my annual adjustment period / withdrawals lol.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Makes my decision a lot easier than most people who just say "do it. Ios is too closed" or "don't do it. It's too unstable."

Last edited:

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Pros

It's my phone and I want to customize it how I want. If I want weather on the home page, I'll have weather on the home page.

^ That's the biggest reason right there for me. Stock iOS bores me. I want to tweak and play with it like I did my Storm2 and my Curves before that.

Cons
It may or may not crash
At least with this jailbreak, not all the tweaks and themes I had installed on my 4s can be used on my 5c.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice