Emoji Image Location

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I want to create / edit the emoji icons on my families devices.
i understand that this will only be for the devices i can manipulate the file system for, but where are the image locations so that i can swap them in and out?
my plan is to take the image i want out, find the specifics (i.e pixel size) then swap emoji of my choice back in.
i don't want to use the app store thing which seems gimicky at best.

i imagine its somewhat similar to the keyboard editing where you can edit the "popup" keys for certain strings….
like i have "q" pop up the left with my email address so that its a one touch entry to use my entire email address.
this is a jailbreak question also, as you need to be jailbroken to manipulate the filesystem. so no moving this as its "not jailbreak related"

Solution

nope that wasn't quite right

Last edited:

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You need to be jailbroken to edit most file systems on the iPhone and if you are going to e doing Some thing like this I would recommend buying a copy of iFile, you'll have an easier time with the paid version rather than the free version, and edit your files through there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You two are joking right?

Imore forum app is forcing me to use a signature, which is more than a little oppressive. Change your policies!!!

098v

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Imore forum app is forcing me to use a signature, which is more than a little oppressive. Change your policies!!!

Nope that's how I believe it's done other than that I have no other idea.

Quick Edit I you do modify your emojis I don't think that the receiving person will see the emoji you've sent

Another quick edit I was talking to a friend and apparently you can find the emoji files in system/library/frameworks/UIKit.framework don't know if its true cause my phone is no longer jailbroken

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Keep calm.
I also thought these 2 we're kidding you xD
Redundant posts... Just as mine now :|

I always modified my keyboard since iOS4. But in iOS7 it's different and the German language has these ugly umlauts "???" and this "?" xD
You won't believe it, but I really wanted to do the same, but I couldn't find the keyboard for emojis 2 weeks ago, but I'm going to search deeper and tell you if I find it ;)

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I searched all night, only thing I could find was posts back in 2009 from modmyi and the only success there was editing what the image looked like on the keyboard, and not the actual emoji image. So it's a two part deal apparently?
It took me like 30 seconds to figure out how to do the keyboard popup edits.
I am starting to think that the emoji are located in a single file that contains a lot more than just the emoji.
I remember a while ago massie was trying to help someone edit some images, and the process involved take a fluke off your phone, opening on your PC, editing it with some program, and then putting it all back. But the thread is long since gone to me :( and he has too many posts to search through.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am starting to think that the emoji are located in a single file that contains a lot more than just the emoji.

I also think they're somehow contained in a file and the connection are made through some special naming. For example I'm using emojis systemwide everywhere, for folders, for my Mailaccount-foldernames and lot more. Sometimes they're not represented as emojis, sometimes they're just some characters and integers. So that's maybe how they're called behind that emoji icons. That mean finding it is more difficult.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Stupid emojis!
All I want to do is make super Mario bros emoji!
And I'm LITERALLY spending /wasting HOURS of my life!!

RobertAdams313

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Stupid emojis!
All I want to do is make super Mario bros emoji!
And I'm LITERALLY spending /wasting HOURS of my life!!

How do you edit the popups for the email?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

http://kr1sis.net/2012/05/115

That page gives pretty detailed instructions. I'm too lazy to explain it.
My buddy fb2 once explained it perfectly in a thread too. He actually taught me!! I found that site while trying to jog my memory.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

As 3cit said, there's a detailed tutorial... I really searched all posts just for you RobertAdams313, so I hope it helps you ;p
By the way, just follow the steps for iOS 6 keyboard. The structure of iOS 7 keyboard is basically the same as iOS 6 ;)

Tutorial for modding iOS 5.1.1 and iOS 6.1 keyboards

There are minor differences. First of all: SAVE ALL FILES YOU WANT TO CHANGE OR REPLACE!

First of all, the path to the keyboard files is: /System/Library/Frameworks/UIkit.framework

If you are on iOS 5.1.1, you have to select your keyboard plist file, which you want to mod.
I used the german keyboard on iOS 5.1.1, so my keyboard plist file was called "Keyboard-de.plist"

If you are on iOS 6.1, you can't chose the keyboard you want, because the whole keyboard structure was changed. You have to mod the default keyboard file. It is called "Keyboard-default.plist".

If you open the files with iFile, you can chose between text editor and plist editor, unless you want to add a new character or hot key which doesn't exist, you should use the plist editor.

On iOS 6.1 and on iOS 5.1.1 you have to select a chacter. I recommend characters like "&" or "€" or "$".
Then open the directory in iFile. There are 3 fields:
  • Direction - sets the direction in which the popup will open. It's always only "left" or "right"
  • Keycaps - Thats what you see in the popup on you keyboard, if you hit and hold a speciific key. it should be maximal 3 characters
  • Strings - Thats the character or word, which will be pasted

You can only select one word without spaces. If you want to add more individual words, you have to use spaces.

Example:
Direction: right
Keycap: Bt AP TM
Strings: Bluetooth AirPlane TimeMashine

That's it. Save the file and do a Respring. After that you can paste them evertime you hit and hold the modded button on you modded keyboard.

Have fun :)

Optional for iOS 5.1.1:
On iOS 5.1.1 you have also the option to every key you want. For example I used the character "P" for my passwords. If you hit "P" and hod it, nothing will happen. You shouldn'e use a character which already has other forms like "a", "i", "c" etc. If you also want to set it on a character like "P", you have to add it manually. So open the keyboard file with the text editor in iFile. Copy the whole text from one letter, for example from "C".
It starts with <key>Roman-Accent-C</key> ..... and it goes to </dict>
Then replace the "C" with an "P", it should look like this: <key>Roman-Accent-P</key>
Then peplace the Keycaps and Strings just like I described it for iOS 6.1 and iOS 5.1.1

Last edited:

RobertAdams313

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
As 3cit said, there's a detailed tutorial... I really searched all posts just for you RobertAdams313, so I hope it helps you ;p
By the way, just follow the steps for iOS 6 keyboard. The structure of iOS 7 keyboard is basically the same as iOS 6 ;)

Thanks dude I appreciate it!!!

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
...I'm going to search deeper and tell you if I find it ;)

I searched about 2 hours in the whole system and couldn't find anything related to that, all I found were strange files with strange input which I didn't understand, (even with my limited programming and frameworks knowledge xD )

But I have a good idea *muhaha*
Let's see if this works :p

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
So here's one for the keyboard editing file?
If you choose a custom made keyboard popup, while holding it if you press the delete key, it will "press" the popup you have selected, without you actually sliding to the appropriate popup bus releasing? then let go of the delete key, it will start and continue to delete so long as you hold your custom pop out, acting just like you were still holding only the delete key.
Maybe I'll make a video to explain this.

Edit, seems like it works with all of popups? maybe I found a bug?!

Ok so maybe I just have too much me in my hands and it's like this for everything.?
If you hold ANY key, then press and release the delete key like normal, if you kept holding that first "any key" it will act as if you are holding the delete key still and delete as long as you are holding t

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So here's one for the keyboard editing file…
If you choose a custom made keyboard popup, while holding it if you press the delete key, it will "press" the popup you have selected, without you actually sliding to the appropriate popup bus releasing… then let go of the delete key, it will start and continue to delete so long as you hold your custom pop out, acting just like you were still holding only the delete key.
Maybe I'll make a video to explain this.

Edit, seems like it works with all of popups… maybe I found a bug?!

Ok so maybe I just have too much me in my hands and it's like this for everything.…
If you hold ANY key, then press and release the delete key like normal, if you kept holding that first "any key" it will act as if you are holding the delete key still and delete as long as you are holding t

image.jpg

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
But I have a good idea *muhaha*

Hmm... I'm still waiting for progress, but just wait :p

This maybe doesn't help, but at least it's something. If you go to the following path:
/System/Library/TextInput/TextInput_emoji.bundle
Then you'll find a some property list files such as "Keyboard-emoji.plist" and "Info.plist". But that doesn't really help. You'll also find some folders with localizations, but there aren't any relationships to picture files (of the Emojis) or other files. There's is only one file which is called "CodeResources", but it doesn't have a file type and is just has a file size of 1,2kB so there can't be the image files, but maybe a information which is helpful.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
well heres what i was thinking… Bytafont is doing something similar with the letters… right. every letter is in a ".ttf" file right? The emoji's are just "letters" so how does bytafont skin the letters? There has to be an actual file somewhere will all the images! and once you do that, you will have to find where to edit the keyboard image too! But again, bytafont does both…
or am i way off base?

/system/library/privateframeworks/textinput.framework/tiuserdictionaryemojicharacterset.bitmap???

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal