Quick Compose SMS Anywhere Using Activator

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people are waiting on updates to their favorite SMS tweaks?BiteSMS is in beta, but we still have no Messages, Messages+, or Anemo to work with on iOS 7.

If you're not a fan of Bite, here's a trick to make life a little easier: by using Activator, we can now create an SMS Quick Compose sheet anywhere (except the lock screen). Just go to Settings>Activator>Anywhere>[choose your favorite gesture here]>Sharing>Compose Text and from then in your gesture (I use a status bar swipe) will open a new SMS window. From there you can compose and send a new message without leaving whatever app you're in.

A few notes: this is not a Quick Reply solution?tapping an incoming banner notification will still open the Messages app. As mentioned before it is not available from the lock screen; hopefully that is something Activator developer Ryan Petrich can get working. And finally, this tip works for any of the Sharing menu items?just change the last step to choose Compose Mail, Compose Tweet, or Compose Facebook Post, among other options.

Update: this seems a little buggy right now. After working for a bit, it now hangs during composing, and I no longer receive the test messages I send myself. If anyone else tries it please let us know how/if it works for you!

Last edited:

Paul Loeffler

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
As I read it, it appears as though you are saying that QR is not available in the BiteSMS Beta 8.0.8 build? I don't use the other SMS applications so I can't speak for them.

BiteSMS was just updated at the beginning of the week to support up iOS 7 w/ ARM64 support (iPhone5s). With that being said there are still a few buggy things and features which still aren't fully working (themes, etc) but the QR and QC functions are working.

I found my way to this blog because I was able to hook up Activator with BiteSMS and I found a bug in activator and I'm trying to see if other people are having the issue or its just me.

The bug I think is in activator in that the "double tap on the status bar" action only works when use two different fingers to tap the status bar. If you switch the action to "single tap the status bar" then it works as expected.

Activator 1.8.3
BiteSMS Beta 8.0.8 (BiteSMS beta repo: http://test-cydia.bitesms.com) <--- Support iPhone5s

Let me know if you have the same bug?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
As I read it, it appears as though you are saying that QR is not available in the BiteSMS Beta 8.0.8 build?

No, this post is a workaround for people who don't want to use Bite.

If you are using Bite, then yes, it has QC/QR built in.

(And double-tap status bar works fine for me with Activator and Bite. I'm not really sure what you mean by "use two different fingers," since a double tap is two taps in quick succession, not two fingers tapping at the same time. The action should be like tapping someone on the shoulder to get their attention.)

Paul Loeffler

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
ahhh gotcha, and a viable option it is.

The double tap, like tapping a person on the shoulder, isn't working for me. I literally had to take one finger from one hand and a finger from my other hand and simultaneously double tap the status bar. I'l have to go back and give it a try again but I troubleshooted it pretty throughly.

It's good to know someone else's is working.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73