Okay so should I jailbreak?

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking of jailbreaking for iOS 7 but I'm not sure I completely understand everything for this particular version. I've jailbroken every iOS device I've had since the 3GS and while iOS 7 is pretty close to everything I need I still want things like Bite and some themes and stuff. I know that mobile substrate hasn't been all the way updated but what all does that mean for me? Should I just wait it out a little until a more stable one comes out? Is there info on another jailbreak? What does not having an "official" Cydia mean? Someone help before I do something dumb lol

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't jailbreak anymore but based on what I've read on these forums some folks are having issues after JB 'ing iOS 7 and returning to stock. Right now it seems play at your own risk.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Cydia has been updated. What thy meant by it not being official is that Saurik wasn't prepared for the release so he hadn't updated Cydia. They used official poorly. They just meant it hadn't been updated to ensure it works with iOS7. New versions of iOS can introduce unexpected functionality with a program. Cydia is no different in that respect.

Mobile Substrate is something of a backbone to jailbreaking. Most apps require MS. Conceptually, think of MS like a simulator. It predicts when apps will cause your phone to crash. Rather than letting it crash, it reboots to safe mode to allow you to eliminate problems rather than run into a brick. Without it being updated, many apps won't install. There are some MS work arounds right now. It's the holidays, so you'll need to be patient with Saurik's time as he updates it. The update is coming, just not here yet. With all the Taig drama around this jailbreak, it's safe to assume Apple will fix this before 7.1. If you want a jailbreak on 7.x any time soon, you'll want to update to 7 before the 7.1 drop. The jailbreak appears stable so far. But, there isn't much you can do to add functionality until a stable MS is released. This would be stable regardless of the jailbreak you use. It's just another package installed within Cydia.

Does all of that make sense?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Then you're in no rush. Without MS, you won't get much functionality out of the jailbreak. A lot of tweaks haven't had a chance to feel out the jailbreak. It'll take time. If you're interested in jailbreaking, just ensure you don't upgrade beyond 7.0.4. You're free to jailbreak now, but don't expect lots of toys just yet.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I went ahead and jailbroke. Haven't installed any tweaks yet but someone should start a thread listing what works that way we can all know.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
There's an inherent problem with that thread. Updated tweaks can mean updated for iOS7 or updated to include 5S functionality. If there isn't a distinction made, it'll just add to the confusion.

Keep an eye out for a post about MS updates. After that, it'll be more useful to see which tweaks are updated for 5s functionality.