iOS 7 jailbreak is here

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Tethering without an applicable data plan or option on your account violates the terms and conditions you agree to abide by when agreeing to service... companies have not always enforced the t&c as rigidly as they could... just beware and be aware that when/if they determine you are in violation of the t&c, they can, and will act. Don't complain about that when it happens.

Exactly, thank you. Lte or not, it violates t and c of your account. It comes with share everything with a data cap or grandfathered in, but must be enabled on your account.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Wanted to get free Infinity Blade 3 for holidays but i guess i will have to sit this jailbreak out for a while...

Yes because the $2.99 price tag in the App Store is just a ridiculous amount of money to compensate a developer for their time and effort. It is disheartening to know that people like you exist...

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Using personal hotspot on verizon on a jail break if you are :

1 not grandfathered in, or
2 doesn't come with your plan, or
3 you are not paying for it

You have an interesting definition of theft of service.

Verizon offers the unlimited data. The data is the only service Verizon is providing. MyWi provides the tethering service. If you pay for the data plan and pay for MyWi, which service is being stolen?

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's the FCC doc:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

Here's Android Central's take on it:
http://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-pay-125-million-blocking-tethering-apps-c-block-devices

Verizon to pay $1.25 million for blocking tethering apps on C block devices
APPLICATIONSNEWS
By Jerry Hildenbrand | Jul 31 2012 | 2:44 pm | 49 COMMENTS

The FCC has released a statement today concerning its investigation into Verizon Wireless blocking access to applications (specifically tethering apps) for devices using the "C block" spectrum they use for LTE services. Under the terms of the settlement announced today, Verizon will be paying $1.25 million to the U.S. Treasury, and implement a "compliance" plan consisting of more training to ensure that they do not violate the C block rules in the future.

The issue stems from the rules of the C block auction, which Verizon bid on and won to get the spectrum they use for LTE. I won't bother going into all the numbers here, but the wavelength of the C block makes it a very desirable piece of the airwaves, and the FCC placed a mandate that the auction winner must allow customers to freely use devices and applications of their choosing when accessing the frequencies. Verizon had successfully blocked tethering apps from appearing in Google Play, including their LTE devices. This is against the rules, and the FCC had to take action.

There also are couple things here we need to keep in mind. Other carriers (hello, AT&T!) can block apps from the Play Store, as they didn't win the C block auction and don't have to follow those rules. The second is that while Verizon has to allow access to the applications, nothing was mentioned that said they had to allow free tethering on its LTE network. It can still block access server-side, or monitor accounts and charge users that download and use applications to tether. We're not sure what, if any, precautions Verizon is going to implement here, but before you celebrate by downloading Easy Tether and burning through a few GBs of data, keep in mind that few things in life are actually free.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Here's the FCC doc:

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation

Here's Android Central's take on it:
http://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-pay-125-million-blocking-tethering-apps-c-block-devices

Verizon to pay $1.25 million for blocking tethering apps on C block devices
APPLICATIONSNEWS
By Jerry Hildenbrand | Jul 31 2012 | 2:44 pm | 49 COMMENTS

The FCC has released a statement today concerning its investigation into Verizon Wireless blocking access to applications (specifically tethering apps) for devices using the "C block" spectrum they use for LTE services. Under the terms of the settlement announced today, Verizon will be paying $1.25 million to the U.S. Treasury, and implement a "compliance" plan consisting of more training to ensure that they do not violate the C block rules in the future.

The issue stems from the rules of the C block auction, which Verizon bid on and won to get the spectrum they use for LTE. I won't bother going into all the numbers here, but the wavelength of the C block makes it a very desirable piece of the airwaves, and the FCC placed a mandate that the auction winner must allow customers to freely use devices and applications of their choosing when accessing the frequencies. Verizon had successfully blocked tethering apps from appearing in Google Play, including their LTE devices. This is against the rules, and the FCC had to take action.

There also are couple things here we need to keep in mind. Other carriers (hello, AT&T!) can block apps from the Play Store, as they didn't win the C block auction and don't have to follow those rules. The second is that while Verizon has to allow access to the applications, nothing was mentioned that said they had to allow free tethering on its LTE network. It can still block access server-side, or monitor accounts and charge users that download and use applications to tether. We're not sure what, if any, precautions Verizon is going to implement here, but before you celebrate by downloading Easy Tether and burning through a few GBs of data, keep in mind that few things in life are actually free.

I'm assuming this applies to their 3G network too? Cause this only referring to their LTE network

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

DayThyme

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The second is that while Verizon has to allow access to the applications, nothing was mentioned that said they had to allow free tethering on its LTE network.
First, please note that the AC authors are not lawyers.

Second, when a consent decree is silent as to whether or not Verizon can block tethering, what that means legally is that the issue has not yet been decided. So to jump to the conclusion they are allowed to do that is erroneous.

Third, every single interpretation of the open access restrictions made by the FCC supports that Verizon cannot legally block tethering on their block c spectrum no matter how much data you use.

DayThyme

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well isn't that an interesting loophole then ;)
It's not a loophole. The open access restrictions are only in Verizon's block c licenses. Verizon's licenses to other parts of the spectrum don't have open access restrictions in them. So this isn't a loophole, it is just the terms of the licenses.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If Verizon requires that you give up your unlimited data in order to use your device as a mobile hotspot, then a person using MyWi is circumventing the rules and restrictions of Verizon's contract. In addition, once that person uses an amount of data above the lowest tier offered by Verizon without having to increase to the next tier level (and paying additional money to do so), then would that not effectively be stealing?

Let's be real here....if there was no clear cut monetary advantage to using MyWi, such as avoiding higher costs of tiered plans by maintaining unlimited data, then there wouldn't be a plethora of individuals clamoring to jailbreak just to get it.

By your logic, contact book apps wouldn't exist. Google Maps wouldn't succeed on iPhone. Etc. You cannot directly link the two. There are features in MyWi that make me consider the purchase on a tiered plan with Mobile Hotspot included.

You're confusing two ideas. Verizon requires you to give up your unlimited data for the Mobile Hotspot service. While MyWi is a competing service, it is not the Mobile Hotspot service. You're not circumventing anything to acquire Mobile Hotspot. You're simply not using it. Your claim is similar to claiming using Google Maps is circumventing Apple to use Apple Maps.

In addition, that is absurd. Once a person uses more than 2GB to download apps, surf YouTube, etc, it costs Verizon the same as it would if they were tethering. If it is stealing to use MyWi, it's stealing to use data at all beyond the 2GB threshold. I doubt you'd make that claim. As such, the one you did make is nonsense.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
First, please note that the AC authors are not lawyers.

Second, when a consent decree is silent as to whether or not Verizon can block tethering, what that means legally is that the issue has not yet been decided. So to jump to the conclusion they are allowed to do that is erroneous.

Third, every single interpretation of the open access restrictions made by the FCC supports that Verizon cannot legally block it.

I never stated that they were lawyers, I provided a link to a document that was requested a couple of times in the thread and MN's own Android Central's thoughts on the matter.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
By your logic, contact book apps wouldn't exist. Google Maps wouldn't succeed on iPhone. Etc. You cannot directly link the two. There are features in MyWi that make me consider the purchase on a tiered plan with Mobile Hotspot included.

You're confusing two ideas. Verizon requires you to give up your unlimited data for the Mobile Hotspot service. While MyWi is a competing service, it is not the Mobile Hotspot service. You're not circumventing anything to acquire Mobile Hotspot. You're simply not using it. Your claim is similar to claiming using Google Maps is circumventing Apple to use Apple Maps.

In addition, that is absurd. Once a person uses more than 2GB to download apps, surf YouTube, etc, it costs Verizon the same as it would if they were tethering. If it is stealing to use MyWi, it's stealing to use data at all beyond the 2GB threshold. I doubt you'd make that claim. As such, the one you did make is nonsense.

I am wonding that, if you have the time and willingness, if you could help me understand. If I have unlimited data currently, and I contact Verizon about using my phone to tether, will they allow me to keep my unlimited data? If so, will they cap it at a certain amount?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices