Easy iPhone 5 File & Music Transfer!!! No iTunes/Jailbreak/USB!!!

edyb

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm a long-time BlackBerry and Windows PC user and wanted to simulate the experience of managing all kinds of files easily on my newly received iPhone 5c, without the need for using iTunes at all and without any physical connection to my computer. I found an easy way to do what I needed without any Jailbreak, just trying out various apps.... I narrowed it down to 2 free apps that handle what I need (MyMedia and Remote Files Free). I wanted to share it with others who need some of this extra functionality in an easy way. See the video here and read below:

HOW IT WORKS:

I want to be able to copy music, documents, photos, PDF files and everything else I can imagine from my Windows PC to the iPhone, and back. The Remote Files Free app connects to a Windows Network share drive. As long as both devices are on the same WiFi connection, you can link... The addresses are all local 192.168.x.x format. The iPhone sees your PC folder and you can move files around. When you copy them to your iPhone, they end up in the "local" app's file store. If you have music, you can upload entire folders and organize tracks. When you play a song, it will play the entire folder if you want so the folder structure becomes your playlist. If you want to copy stuff from your iPhone to the PC, you can do the same thing to transfer files the other way.

The other feature I needed was the ability to download and save practically any file format on the web to the iPhone, either to review later, share or email, or transfer to my computer. I found a free app called MyMedia which has a browser modification allowing download. In the video I used an MP3 download site as an example, but you can do the same with PDF files, documents, photos, videos, or anything you want. When it downloads the file, it saves it to the MyMedia app's file store.

So here is the kicker... In MyMedia you can "Open in Other Apps", and you pick "Remote Files Free" (RFF)... when that happens, the file gets copied to the root file store of RFF as well. I usually delete it from the MyMedia app, and use the RFF app to organize my files, and also copy if needed to my Windows PC. This is good because I can also email or share the files. I was used to being able to do all this on my BlackBerry effortlessly and one of the things that frustrated me on iPhone was the lack of a central file-store with all of these options. Hopefully people will find this combination of free apps useful for this.... I am sure there are paid apps which do everything (both functions) and jailbreaking options which do even more. However, for someone who just wants an easy way to add this basic feature, this seemed a good way.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore and thanks for this info! I have a bunch of PDFs for work and this will definitely help me organize my files on my phone. Thanks again and I hope you're enjoying your device��

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I use an app called " File Manager-Folder Plus" by 'The Very Games'. It has a desktop client for easy transfer and management. It's been offered free in the appstore ( through Appsgonefree and Appoftheday) 2~3 times, which is when I downloaded it.

P.S. Today's free app is " WireShare " by Feetan. Similar purpose as posted by OP.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro