Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    RIPNHL2005's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    150 Posts

    Default AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    AT&T approved unlock of my 4S which is off contract. Running iOS 6.1.1
    They sent me these directions to complete the process, but if I do this, it will erase jailbreak and install iOS7.
    Is this really necessary or can new owner (Selling this phone to someone else) put in their T-Mobile or whoever sim card and activate it?


    Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.
    We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked.
    Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.
    To complete the unlock, simply

    1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
    2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
    3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
    4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit iTunes: Restoring iOS software.
    5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
    Additional information on unlocking can be found at iPhone: About unlocking

    Thanks! Guy wants to buy it but I want to make sure it is indeed unlocked and jailbroken as I do not want to sell this guy a non working phone.
  2. #2  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    21,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,229 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    Quote Originally Posted by RIPNHL2005 View Post
    AT&T approved unlock of my 4S which is off contract. Running iOS 6.1.1
    They sent me these directions to complete the process, but if I do this, it will erase jailbreak and install iOS7.
    Is this really necessary or can new owner (Selling this phone to someone else) put in their T-Mobile or whoever sim card and activate it?


    Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device.
    We have reviewed your request and confirmed that the device may be unlocked.
    Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.
    To complete the unlock, simply

    1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
    2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
    3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
    4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit iTunes: Restoring iOS software.
    5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
    Additional information on unlocking can be found at iPhone: About unlocking

    Thanks! Guy wants to buy it but I want to make sure it is indeed unlocked and jailbroken as I do not want to sell this guy a non working phone.
    I'm not one who jailbreaks his iPhone so I'm going to focus on the listed directions. Unless I'm missing the obvious, the listed instructions merely restores your device, and if restoring your device automatically unlocks it, then heck, everyone can simply do a restore to unlock their devices. Having said that, did you miss a step?
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    RIPNHL2005's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    150 Posts

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I'm not one who jailbreaks his iPhone so I'm going to focus on the listed directions. Unless I'm missing the obvious, the listed instructions merely restores your device, and if restoring your device automatically unlocks it, then heck, everyone can simply do a restore to unlock their devices. Having said that, did you miss a step?
    LOL no restoring doesn't automatically unlock it. AT&T obviously does something on their end to allow the phone to be unlocked.
    I had to go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock and submit a request with IMEI number and my information and had to wait for approval.
    Then i recieved the email I posted with instructions how to complete the unlock.
  4. #4  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    21,995 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,229 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    Quote Originally Posted by RIPNHL2005 View Post
    LOL no restoring doesn't automatically unlock it. AT&T obviously does something on their end to allow the phone to be unlocked.
    I had to go to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock and submit a request with IMEI number and my information and had to wait for approval.
    Then i recieved the email I posted with instructions how to complete the unlock.
    Thank you...(laughing)...I knew there was a missing step in there, and wanted to make sure....Take care, my friend..
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    RIPNHL2005's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    150 Posts

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    Funny guy....

    Ok so still same issue tonight, connected to iTunes, get prompted for iOS 7 update, click no and does not show unlocked or anything.
    There's gotta be a way to maintain jailbreak but complete this unlock of the phone.
  6. #6  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,121 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    If you use the search feature i the forums, I've seen this discussed before. I think they used sam to de-activate the phone or something to that effect.
    Thanked by:
    RIPNHL2005 (11-02-2013)
  7. #7  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    For 4S and above I'm 99% sure all you need to do is insert an active SIM from a different carrier.
    Thanked by:
    RIPNHL2005 (11-02-2013)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    RIPNHL2005's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    150 Posts

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post
    If you use the search feature i the forums, I've seen this discussed before. I think they used sam to de-activate the phone or something to that effect.
    I searched a few times but came up with lots of threads but no mention of this "sam"

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    For 4S and above I'm 99% sure all you need to do is insert an active SIM from a different carrier.
    Hmmmmm....I wonder if this whole must restore with iTunes to get the Congratulations you are now unlocked message is just a ploy to get rid of jailbreaks?
    First phone I did this restore and sold it through Craigslist, second one is still jailbroken so I'll request unlock and not do iTunes thing and try to find a t-mobile user to test this with.

    Thanks!
  9. #9  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,020 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0.2

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    Quote Originally Posted by RIPNHL2005 View Post
    I searched a few times but came up with lots of threads but no mention of this "sam"



    Hmmmmm....I wonder if this whole must restore with iTunes to get the Congratulations you are now unlocked message is just a ploy to get rid of jailbreaks?
    First phone I did this restore and sold it through Craigslist, second one is still jailbroken so I'll request unlock and not do iTunes thing and try to find a t-mobile user to test this with.

    Thanks!
    I think it's just easier to tell everyone to restore; that way the instructions are the same for all models. But yes, it's only really necessary for earlier devices.
    Thanked by:
    RIPNHL2005 (11-02-2013)
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    RIPNHL2005's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    150 Posts

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    I think it's just easier to tell everyone to restore; that way the instructions are the same for all models. But yes, it's only really necessary for earlier devices.
    Sounds reasonable! Thanks
  11. #11  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,121 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: AT&T Approved Unlock of Off Contract 4S, but how to complete steps without losing jailbreak?

    There's an easy test. Just borrow a SIM from a friend not on AT&T. Plug it in and see if the phone works.

    You'll know instantly if it works.

Similar Threads

  1. How many drops without case so far?
    By Infiniti7 in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 10:47 AM
  2. Apple includes 5c and 5s numbers together
    By Auturi in forum iPhone 5c
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 01:11 AM
  3. Is it OK to buy an iphone 5s on release day?
    By iPerry7 in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 02:47 PM
  4. [GUIDE] How To Use Do Not Disturb with iOS 7
    By pr1nce in forum Guides & How-To Articles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions