Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    ssandler77's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default Upgrading to IOS7

    I dont see a post similar to this question.

    I want to upgrade to IOS7. MY current 4S is jailbroken. I dont really use the Jailbreak so I dont mind waiting for an IOS7 jailbreak to come out. (Even if it is months away). My question is Should I do the upgrade via ITunes? Will it cause a problem if it is done OTA?

    Sorry if this is a silly question but rather be safe than sorry.
  2. #2  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,025 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    Do it via iTunes. And set up as new... don't restore from backup... all should be well.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    ssandler77 (09-19-2013)
  3. #3  
    seashell93's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,614 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 :)

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    Just for clarifying: update to 7 and then restore as new OR restore iPhone (to remove jb), then update to 7 and proceed...

    My anxious mind is spinning, just want to make sure I take the right steps! Thanks kch!


    Sent from my sweet sassy iPhone
    "Sometimes its not the song that makes you emotional. It's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it."
  4. #4  
    acerace113's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,666 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    Quote Originally Posted by seashell93 View Post
    Just for clarifying: update to 7 and then restore as new OR restore iPhone (to remove jb), then update to 7 and proceed...

    My anxious mind is spinning, just want to make sure I take the right steps! Thanks kch!


    Sent from my sweet sassy iPhone
    Restore to iOS 7 then when iTunes gives you the choice of "restore from a backup" or "setup as new" select setup as new. Then you can sync all your content back using iTunes


    Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free
  5. #5  
    seashell93's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,614 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 :)

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    Quote Originally Posted by acerace113 View Post
    Restore to iOS 7 then when iTunes gives you the choice of "restore from a backup" or "setup as new" select setup as new. Then you can sync all your content back using iTunes


    Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free
    Thank you!!!!!!


    Sent from my sweet sassy iPhone
    "Sometimes its not the song that makes you emotional. It's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it."
  6. #6  
    rgm1266's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    Quote Originally Posted by acerace113 View Post
    Restore to iOS 7 then when iTunes gives you the choice of "restore from a backup" or "setup as new" select setup as new. Then you can sync all your content back using iTunes

    Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free
    Via ITunes.do I select Update or Restore Iphone to upgrade to IOS7? I'm currently JB and running 6.1.2.
    Last edited by rgm1266; 09-19-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: wrong location of question
  7. #7  
    acerace113's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,666 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    Quote Originally Posted by rgm1266 View Post
    Via ITunes.do I select Update or Restore Iphone to upgrade to IOS7? I'm currently JB and running 6.1.2.
    Restore is the best way


    Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free
    Thanked by:
    rgm1266 (09-19-2013)
  8. #8  
    rgm1266's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    When I select Restore, will this restore my phone back to the original out the box condition 6.1.2 or the current IOS 7?

    My bad.. I know the answer. It will restore to factory settings then load IOS 7. Once that is complete, I will select restore backup right?
  9. #9  
    acerace113's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,666 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading to IOS7

    Quote Originally Posted by rgm1266 View Post
    When I select Restore, will this restore my phone back to the original out the box condition 6.1.2 or the current IOS 7?

    My bad.. I know the answer. It will restore to factory settings then load IOS 7. Once that is complete, I will select restore backup right?
    Yup


    Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) using Tapatalk - now Free
    Thanked by:
    rgm1266 (10-08-2013)

Similar Threads

  1. Subscribed Calendars are gone in iOS7! Help!
    By yolandagd in forum iOS 7
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 03:57 AM
  2. I came over to the dark side.
    By coasterfan68 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 02:31 AM
  3. Ios7 Safari
    By jmendel33 in forum iOS 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 09:49 PM
  4. ios7 battery on the iphone5
    By den124 in forum iOS 7
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 11:04 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions