Did I wreck my husbands phone plz help - newbie here

missynz

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I bought my husband a secondhand iphone 5 running ios6.0? I changed apple id in settings to mine but when he tries to use some apps it still asks for password for previous owners appleid. So I deleted one of the apps to reinstall it hoping that will work. But in between that I viewed my apple id and activated genius. My husbands phone is jail broken. Now whenever I try to open the App Store it opens to featured and everything is disabled I can't push anything. Is that cos by activation genius it knows the phone is jail broke so its not working? And how do I fix so App Store works and I can reinstall the app I deleted? And how do I get it to not ask for previous owners apple id but ask for mine?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all Welcome to iMore. Have you just gone ahead and even though you may not want to, Plug it into iTunes and set it back to new. You will not be able to Jail break it again because it will load the latest OS which is a cool thing. Once all is done and everything has been cleaned to new you are then free to do as you please.
By setting up as new it might wipe the old Apple ID or the IMEI might not have been released ans that will have to be done by the carrier which will have to be done. I would go a step at a time to see if anything I mentioned works and go from there. Best of luck and let us know if anything worked. yes or no?
I am sure you will get more hits on this thread so others more familiar will come along and help you as well so don't worry to much about it. We will all help you get it sorted out.:)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought my husband a secondhand iphone 5 running ios6.0? I changed apple id in settings to mine but when he tries to use some apps it still asks for password for previous owners appleid. So I deleted one of the apps to reinstall it hoping that will work. But in between that I viewed my apple id and activated genius. My husbands phone is jail broken. Now whenever I try to open the App Store it opens to featured and everything is disabled I can't push anything. Is that cos by activation genius it knows the phone is jail broke so its not working? And how do I fix so App Store works and I can reinstall the app I deleted? And how do I get it to not ask for previous owners apple id but ask for mine?

I would delete any non stock app from the device as it has prob been downloaded using the other ID I would also log out of anything and everything in settings .. I would then log back on on everything with your ID and see if it allows you to download then

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If the app was downloaded with the prior ID, it'll want that ID to update it/etc. You'll need to download it again with your information.

Genius shouldn't have had that impact. Did you try rebooting the phone? Sometimes that's an easy fix.

missynz

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Thx for comments so far. I will try rebooting and see if that fixes the App Store. I'm ok with deleting the apps that were on the ph and reinstalling if I can get App Store working. I don't think my husband will let me reboot to new but I might be able to convince him if he thinks it'll fix the problem with the other users apple I'd. If his phone is jailbrokn and he just clicks on reset to factory will it wreck the phone or should he UNjailbreak first? Or just back up in iTunes first? Sorry I'm really new to iPhones so trying to understand what some of you mean. Thanks :)

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
You could also try Semi-Restore instead of using iTunes to restore and losing the jailbreak. You can find the program at:

http://semi-restore.com/

It will delete everything off of the phone and basically be a restore but will retain the jailbreak

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Thx for comments so far. I will try rebooting and see if that fixes the App Store. I'm ok with deleting the apps that were on the ph and reinstalling if I can get App Store working. I don't think my husband will let me reboot to new but I might be able to convince him if he thinks it'll fix the problem with the other users apple I'd. If his phone is jailbrokn and he just clicks on reset to factory will it wreck the phone or should he UNjailbreak first? Or just back up in iTunes first? Sorry I'm really new to iPhones so trying to understand what some of you mean. Thanks :)
Do not.... Do not... Do NOT push that button. I'm disappointed the others that posted didn't say anything.

That reset all button will cause far more problems than it'll fix.

You don't need to restore to fix the apps permissions. Just delete and re-download. Once they're installed, they want the original user's information. I'll often do the work on friends and family phones. Once in a while they'll get an app from my laptop. They just delete and re-install and it's back to normal. The restore is like amputating an arm to fix a papercut if the problem is solely the appleid.

Did a reboot give any different results? If so, what changed?

If you're going to restore at any point, I'd recommend a fresh restore. Skip the backup. Just restore. iCloud saves your contacts for you. This is the cleanest way to get back to factory. But, that's only if you care to restore.

As the others mentioned, there's the semi-restore people have been trying. That's found mixed reviews. Another possible option is searching for ilex rat in Cydia. It will perform a semi-restore as well. These are both options to try if you're giving up on finding other fixes for the store.

missynz

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Thx for all your help. So the off/on worked and fixed the App Store. I can't believe I didn't do that in the first place. Once App Store was fixed i was then able to redone load and reinstall viber. It worked for now and so now if any other apps ask for original owners app id then I will try deleting and reinstalling the app. Only problem then will be the apps that can't be downloaded. Thanks!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thx for all your help. So the off/on worked and fixed the App Store. I can't believe I didn't do that in the first place. Once App Store was fixed i was then able to redone load and reinstall viber. It worked for now and so now if any other apps ask for original owners app id then I will try deleting and reinstalling the app. Only problem then will be the apps that can't be downloaded. Thanks!

Glad you got it fixed!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner