Can't restore with iOS7, Install stopped

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have quite the problem. Yesterday I was updating my iOS7 beta to beta 2 and during the install, the iPhone stopped installing and got stuck.
iTunes doesn't recognize it, when it reboots it just starts installing again but stops after a few minutes.

I've tried to put it in DFU mode but my lockbutton is broken so I can't do it manually. I tried to fix it with redsn0w and the DFU ipsw but for that to work, iTunes needs to recognize my phone, which it doesn't.

Any help how to put my iPhone 5 into DFU?

Thanks in advance!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can't restore with iOS7

Without fully functional hardware it will be unlikely you'll get into DFU mode... Getting the button fixed is probably the best option.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Hmmm, that's what I was afraid of. I guess my warranty is broken with the iOS7 beta without a dev account?
Thanks for your reply.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Check around and see if there's cellphone repair shop near you that has experience with Apple devices - or hop on over to the iMore blog side of life and read up on the DIY repair tips by Allyson Kazmucha...

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

The home button is not a horrible fix. Get the parts you need from eTech parts and follow Alli's guides and you should be able to get the phone up and running again.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

It's the lock button. I looked up some tutorials and doesn't look that easy. I'm not really that handy. Shops in my neighbourhood fix it for 60 euros.
Sucks that I have to pay up that much money. Lesson learned with the betas lol.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

My bad, I miss read that. Its worth paying for it so you can get your phone back. :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Definately worth the repair cost for a iPhone 5..

If you didn't have a Beta 2 install screen I would take it to Apple.....

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Is it safe to assume you paid a dev to put your UDID on their account? If not and you know them, just have them go in with you. They don't give devs 100 devices expcting the dev to go buy that many so it shouldn't be a problem. If you bought it online, then I'm not sure what they'd do with it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried hooking to computer while holding the home button phone must be off thou so wait till battery dies this will put it into recovery mode then do a shift restore in iTunes and load beta 2

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

It's the lock button. I looked up some tutorials and doesn't look that easy. I'm not really that handy. Shops in my neighbourhood fix it for 60 euros.
Sucks that I have to pay up that much money. Lesson learned with the betas lol.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Is it safe to assume you paid a dev to put your UDID on their account? If not and you know them, just have them go in with you. They don't give devs 100 devices expcting the dev to go buy that many so it shouldn't be a problem. If you bought it online, then I'm not sure what they'd do with it.

Well you could just shift+click and install the beta without much shenanigans so I did that. Worked fine until the update

Have you tried hooking to computer while holding the home button phone must be off thou so wait till battery dies this will put it into recovery mode then do a shift restore in iTunes and load beta 2

Phone's battery is dead. When I plug it in it begins to charge, when I hold the homebutton, nothing happens :)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Well you could just shift+click and install the beta without much shenanigans so I did that. Worked fine until the update

If that's the problem, consider searching for devs selling their spare devices. I've had a few friends pay $20ish to get added to a dev account. That's a bit cheaper than 60 pounds.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

If that's the problem, consider searching for devs selling their spare devices. I've had a few friends pay $20ish to get added to a dev account. That's a bit cheaper than 60 pounds.

Of course, any discussion of this topic is strictly verboten.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site

putting iOS 7 on your device will not void your warranty. The genius bar will not ask you to verify you are a developer.
You issue is hardware. software is secondary. They will replace your device.

You do not have to lie, but you don't even have to mention iOS7. You can say you were trying to do a DFU restore and the home button wouldn't allow that to happen.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

putting iOS 7 on your device will not void your warranty. The genius bar will not ask you to verify you are a developer.
You issue is hardware. software is secondary. They will replace your device.

You do not have to lie, but you don't even have to mention iOS7. You can say you were trying to do a DFU restore and the home button wouldn't allow that to happen.

You'd make a terrible liar.

While he has a hardware issue that may help him out with the Apple store, it's definitely "secondary." Installing a beta without auth bricks the phone as he's experienced here.

He wouldn't be trying to run a DFU restore without the software issue. He wouldn't get into a bricked state due to a malfunctioning power button. If the genius was going to be feisty, they'd definitely reply with "how did you get into what you call DFU gone wrong if the power button was broken?"

That said, it doesn't hurt to try. And if it fails, you have several other options.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Phone's battery is dead. When I plug it in it begins to charge, when I hold the homebutton, nothing happens :)

It won't do anything but does the computer still not recognize it ? Make sure you are holding the home before u plug it in and continue to hold it

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys,

We don't have Applestores in Belgium so there is no Geniusbar here. It's just a Mobistar store where I have to say what's broken and they will send it to Apple.
But I have no way to prove that it is broken to the store as my phone doesn't do anything.

Holding the homebutton doesn't do anything, if I hold it in, plug my phone in, iTunes recognizes nothing.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Although, I'd wager if the person you talked to was unable to get into DFU mode, they'd be inclined to believe you have an issue with your home/power keys.

edit: I have no idea how iMore looks upon UDID registration. It wouldn't shock me if that was a no-no here and the links end up vanishing.

Last edited by a moderator:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Although, I'd wager if the person you talked to was unable to get into DFU mode, they'd be inclined to believe you have an issue with your home/power keys.

edit: I have no idea how iMore looks upon UDID registration. It wouldn't shock me if that was a no-no here and the links end up vanishing.

[WARN]There is one, and only one way discussion of registering UDIDs is allowed: Via Apple and their developer program. [/WARN]

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR