Is it possible to buy and iPhone then JailBreak?

alewela

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently had an attempt to upgrade my iPad 2 from 4.3.3 to 6.1.2, but end up upgrading it to 5.1.1 because upgrading to 6.1.2 at this moment is impossible. During the process, I learned that there are limitations of upgrading and jailbreaking.

I plan to buy an iPhone, and I want it to be jailbreakable and at version 5.x or higher. Is it possible?

According to my current knowledge, I assume that it would be impossible if I get it from Apple Store because iPhone sold from Apple Store are always with latest version (6.1.3), which is not jailbreakable. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Apart from that, can buying it from other stores, including online stores like Kogan, make any difference? Can buying iPhone 4 be any different than iPhone 4S and iPhone 5? I'd prefer to have an iPhone 4S, if possible, by the way.

Thanks.

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: buying iPhone

It depends if you are satified with the iOS that the 4s comes with. You would have a better chance with a 4s of getting an iOS that would still be jailbreakable as long as you don't upgrade the iOS when you get it. I personally know some people that have just bought 5's and the black one came with 6.1.2 and the white one with 6.1.3 so I guess it really depends on how long the stock has been in the store.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: buying iPhone

It depends if you are satified with the iOS that the 4s comes with. You would have a better chance with a 4s of getting an iOS that would still be jailbreakable as long as you don't upgrade the iOS when you get it. I personally know some people that have just bought 5's and the black one came with 6.1.2 and the white one with 6.1.3 so I guess it really depends on how long the stock has been in the store.

Why would you have a better chance with the 4s? The newest manufactured iphones come with 6.1.3. Some phones in stock still have older ios versions. Yes, the 4s sells less than the 5. But you're not the only one aware of this. I know this will come as a shock, but Apple is also aware. As a result, they ship less 4s phones. The smaller shipment compensates for lack of sales rather than overloading stores with phones that aren't likely to sell. With a smaller stock, it takes fewer purchases to turn that stock over. You're equally likely to find a 4s on older versions of iOS.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Best bet would be to buy a slightly used phone, and confirm that it is on 6.1.2 or below before purchasing. There are often many for sale offered by people switching carriers, upgrading, etc. Buying new is a crapshoot, but it's less likely you'll get a jailbreakable phone every day.

alewela

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Best bet would be to buy a slightly used phone, and confirm that it is on 6.1.2 or below before purchasing. There are often many for sale offered by people switching carriers, upgrading, etc. Buying new is a crapshoot, but it's less likely you'll get a jailbreakable phone every day.

Where can I buy a slightly used phone?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If you do buy off eBay or CL, make sure that you verify with the carrier that the phone can be activated legally. There are phones that are being sold with stolen or bad ESNs that aren't clean and the only thing you'll wind up with is an Apple branded paperweight.

Any reputable seller will provide photos of the ESN or give it to you to verify. I bought a Nextel phone many years ago and met the seller at a Nextel store and had them activate it before I bought it and did not hand over any money before Nextel verified that the phone was clean.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl