Restoring

fdezarra

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
Lots of questions in lots of flavors involving restores of iPhones.

I will add 1 more.

I have an iPhone 5 running 6.1.2 jailbroken on evasi0n. I was able to get a device unlock from AT&T. This method, however, requires me to restore on itunes and set up as a new device. On restoring, it will bump me to the current 6.1.4.

I have heard of downgrading. But is there a way to restore and set up as a new device while staying on 6.1.2? Where can I get detailed instructions (tutorial) on how to do this and any problems that might arise as a result.

Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On your device, go to Settings-General-Reset and then choose "Erase All Contents and Settings".

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Lots of questions in lots of flavors involving restores of iPhones.

I will add 1 more.

I have an iPhone 5 running 6.1.2 jailbroken on evasi0n. I was able to get a device unlock from AT&T. This method, however, requires me to restore on itunes and set up as a new device. On restoring, it will bump me to the current 6.1.4.

I have heard of downgrading. But is there a way to restore and set up as a new device while staying on 6.1.2? Where can I get detailed instructions (tutorial) on how to do this and any problems that might arise as a result.

Thanks

Here is what you should do.

Open Cydia. Download SAM (http://www.bingner.com/SAM.html) and run it. It will deactivate your device. Next, if you have one, put in a non-AT&T sim card. Wait for the "plug into iTunes message". Plug it into iTunes.

If you don't have a non-AT&T sim, after deactivating you can still plug it into iTunes and it will work.

​Make sure your unlock is attached to your account before you do this.

Instructions for SAM said:
This will allow you to do official activation on an iPhone without a stock SIM - it MAY help with Battery Drain issues, but that is NOT the primary purpose of this.This is pointless on anything but an iPhone
  • Add http://repo.bingner.com as a repo in Cydia
  • Install "SAM" and "SAMPrefs"
  • Follow the steps in Troubleshooting/Hacktivated with redsn0w or PwnageTool
  • Go to Settings > SAM and touch "De-Activate iPhone"
  • Activate with iTunesIf iTunes says invalid SIM, you will need to manually select the appropriate carrier (Original seller of the iPhone) under one of the methods besides "Automatic" and click on a SIMID.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You're absolutely right. I wasn't even thinking the OP's device was jailbroken even though it clearly states that it is. Thanks for the reminder...:)

No problem, I just don't want someone trying it and causing a headache for themselves. All's good.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No problem, I just don't want someone trying it and causing a headache for themselves. All's good.

Oh, I understand and feel the same way. You were right to remind me and I wanted to reinforce that fact. It's all good. :)

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
On your device, go to Settings-General-Reset and then choose "Erase All Contents and Settings".

I know you're trying to help man, but please stop. There are a great many things I'm not versed in and I'm sure there's some of them that you'd dominate me in.

The advice you give is generally irrelevant, or in this case, incorrect with devastating consequences for someone wanting to remain jailbroken.

It really is better to say you don't know rather than to guess.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I know you're trying to help man, but please stop. There are a great many things I'm not versed in and I'm sure there's some of them that you'd dominate me in.

The advice you give is generally irrelevant, or in this case, incorrect with devastating consequences for someone wanting to remain jailbroken.

It really is better to say you don't know rather than to guess.

No problem. From this moment forward, I will leave the jailbreaking issues to the jailbreakers. I promise...:)...Take care and have a great weekend. ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73