Not a Newbie, Not an Oldie, an In-Betweenie (-B

Bruce Hanson

May 8, 2013
Visit site
"Want to give your Apple TV more power? Want to open a whole new world of possibilities? Then a TVFlash from FireCore is the solution."
I read this article from Cult of Mac, and it took me to Allyson's article. The catch......jail breaking my Apple TV. I am a retired teacher of 65, now subbing and tutoring, and the king of the techies. Retired means I have time to read every blog, article, and forum post known to man, and a charge card means I have every device including the iToilet. There are many areas of my life I would consider myself advanced in ways other than my age. I am relatively new to jail breaking, though, having done it once with my iPhone. As I looked at articles about how to do that, I found that some almost appeared to be written in another language, a language I didn't speak. I am not so worried about Jail Breaking my Apple TV, it is not nearly the monetary investment as my phone, but I want to know if, upon on arriving there, and then supercharging my Apple TV, which could really use any kind of a charge, will I be able to understand how to use all those new features? I sure hope you tell me yes, and don't scoff at my In-Betweenieness (-B Thanks 4 Your Time

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're on the newest Apple TV, you can't jailbreak it. I'd have to research to be of any help if you're on one of the first two generations. There's a lot of fake information about the third generation, unfortunately =/

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have an atv3 so im unable to jailbreak it. That being said, i havent done a ton of research on the capabilities and advantages to jailbreaking the appletv. The main reason i see to jailbreaking is to install xbmc. I used to use xbmc on my xbox1, and it would play every video file i threw at it, even the obscure ones with hard to find pc codecs. As far of ease of use, xbmc makes viewing videos incredibly easy since it will play anything out of the box. There are more advanced features such as mapping network drives, but i went years before i even started using that. Since the apple tv has no hdd, mapping a network drive means you can plug in a usb disk or hdd into a computer or map a video folder from the pc hdd and play right from there. Yes itunes does this automatically, but only for itunes approved movies which only covers a select few formats.

Nitotv seems like a popular appletv app, but i havent read much about it. Apple tv 2s are selling for upwards of 300$ now due to the ability to jailbreak, but you can build an xbmc client for under 50$ so there must be some other worthwhile advantages to jailbreaking an atv2.

To sum it up, if you dont have any "problems" with your atv i dont see a need to jailbreak. I dislike how it wont play a lot of video formats i run into which is why i would like an xbmc client that has airplay.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
To sum it up, if you dont have any "problems" with your atv i dont see a need to jailbreak. I dislike how it wont play a lot of video formats i run into which is why i would like an xbmc client that has airplay.

Don't you have a jailbroken iPhone? If so, there's your xbmc client with airplay.

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't you have a jailbroken iPhone? If so, there's your xbmc client with airplay.

Yes, but I use a 64gb ipod touch 4g to store my movies which isnt capable of airplay videos. I dont want my phone tied up, both for battery reasons and for a dedicated player. When I do get a new phone next year, I can revert my iphone 5 to a dedicated device, but for now it would be nice to jailbreak my atv3 and use that as a media player. I have a 500gb network hard drive that I could use for a jailbroken atv2.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711