New iPhone 5 & Jailbreak: What is Current Factory-installed Firmware (iOS) version?

luciddreamx

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I am planning on upgrading my Jailbroken iPhone 4s to the iPhone 5 today.

The current iOS version is 6.1.3, which is not currently Jailbreakable. Version 6.1.2 is Jailbreakable, however.

I know that usually when someone buys an iPhone at the store, the store forces an update and activation before he customer walks out. The last time I bought an iPhone from Best Buy (release day of 4s), I was allowed to take the new phone home and activate it via iTunes myself (they were pretty busy). If I can persuade them to let me do this again, what firmware version are current iPhones rolling out with from the factory? I doubt still 6.0, but I'm hoping not 6.1.3!

Also, if Best Buy doesn't allow me to take it home before activating, what would the pre-installed firmware version be on a phone I bought online from AT&T? That way, they'd have to let me update at home! :p Not worth it though if it comes with 6.1.3 already.

Thank you in advance!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Depends on where you buy your phone and what their inventory practices are... high volume stores with frequent replenishments will likely come with 6.1.3 (or 6.1.4 - the current latest on iPhone5...) - Low volume stores with less frequent replenishment may get you any iOS under 6.1.4 - it's pretty much "luck of the draw" - you can't really count on getting anything in particular.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
All iPhone 5 will come 6.1.3 from major retailers but the phone is awesome either way but if i where you ill wait till the Summer when the 5s comes out then trade in your 4s for the 5s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

luciddreamx

May 17, 2013
Visit site
My local Best Buy is in a small town, so hopefully that's low-volume. While I saw crazy long lines on the news when the iPhone 4s was released, my Best Buy had two people waiting 10 minutes before they opened! :)

luciddreamx

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I thought about waiting for the next iPhone. First, I'm not really sure when it will be released. Second, I'll make $100 if I buy an iPhone today (buy iPhone 5 32GB for $300, sell old 4s 32GB Unlocked on amazon for about $400 = $100 profit).

Moreover, if I really wanted the 5s, then I could sell my 5 and with that cash together with the $100 profit I'd be making with today's transaction, I imagine I wouldn't be spending more than an additional $200 on a new iPhone 5s 32 GB. Am I on the correct line of thinking? In that scenario, I would hope AT&T would honor my unlimited data plan too!

luciddreamx

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Update: I ended up buying the iPhone 5 32GB from Radio Shack today. They have it on sale for $250 instead of $300 w/a 2 year contract. It was out of stock, so it's being shipped from their warehouse. Hopefully, it'll be 6.1.2 or earlier, but if not it's okay I'll enjoy it and wait until I can JB again.