iphone 5 t-mobile( branded) unlock

Diok_Mhf

Banned
Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
hi all..so i want to unlock my iphone 5 from t-mobile..have checked ebay and a few sites and its expensive prices vary from $130-$200..
anyone know a reliable site or source where i can do it cheaper.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you paid full retail for the phone, T-mobile should unlock it for you free... or if paying on installments, pay off the balance due, same thing...

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If it's locked, I'm assuming you're on the installments plan. What gain do you have by unlocking it yourself?

If you pay T-mobile off, they will unlock it. If you pay another service, they'll unlock it. But, if you leave T-mobile, you'll be billed for the remainder due. Then you'll pay the unlock fee + the remainder.

Why not simply pay the remainder?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am also looking for a cheaper alternative, any recommendations?

Again, the cheapest method to unlock the Tmobile phone is to finish off your installments plan. Whether you pay for an unlock or get it unlocked by paying off the installments, you'll still owe the balance. Just pay off the balance.

dvd8man

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to unlock a TMoble IPhone 5 on iSO 6.1.4. Is there any way I can do it myself? I'm actlly doing it for someone. I know nothing about the phones history but spent now a few hours searching online and this forum has told me the most so far. Just wondering if I need to give it back and direct them to one of the $100+ dollar places?

Thank you for any info!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Unless you have access to the IMEI servers, you need to pay someone.

For the third time, if it's locked that means the owner still has a debt to T-mobile. If they cancel their T-mobile account, they'll still be on the hook for the remainder. The cheapest unlock is to pay off the balance with T-mobile.

Let's look at the two alternatives: 1) pay for an unlock or 2) pay the balance.

Amount due with option 2: the remainder on the phone. We will call it $$$.
Amount due with option 1: $100((roughly)) for the unlock plus $$$

Which is more: $$$ or $$$ + 100?

Can we please lay this question to rest?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Unless you have access to the IMEI servers, you need to pay someone.

For the third time, if it's locked that means the owner still has a debt to T-mobile. If they cancel their T-mobile account, they'll still be on the hook for the remainder. The cheapest unlock is to pay off the balance with T-mobile.

Let's look at the two alternatives: 1) pay for an unlock or 2) pay the balance.

Amount due with option 2: the remainder on the phone. We will call it $$$.
Amount due with option 1: $100((roughly)) for the unlock plus $$$

Which is more: $$$ or $$$ + 100?

Can we please lay this question to rest?

Just to play devil's advocate...I have unlocked my under-contract phones so I can use them abroad without being forced to pay AT&T's exorbitant roaming fees. At home I remain under contract, but it is still worth doing.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to play devil's advocate...I have unlocked my under-contract phones so I can use them abroad without being forced to pay AT&T's exorbitant roaming fees. At home I remain under contract, but it is still worth doing.

That's AT&T though. I'm going to assume you're not cancelling your AT&T account and paying the early cancellation fees.

The T-Mobile locked phones will need to be paid off sooner or later. Paying to unlock it now won't get rid of their problem. On AT&T, you're paying your bill with a subsidized phone. You can't just pay off the balance and get it unlocked. With T-Mobile, they can pay the balance now or later. Either way, they're paying that balance.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That's AT&T though. I'm going to assume you're not cancelling your AT&T account and paying the early cancellation fees.

The T-Mobile locked phones will need to be paid off sooner or later. Paying to unlock it now won't get rid of their problem. On AT&T, you're paying your bill with a subsidized phone. You can't just pay off the balance and get it unlocked. With T-Mobile, they can pay the balance now or later. Either way, they're paying that balance.

I guess I don't get what you're saying. What's the difference between AT&T and T-Mobile? Once an AT&T phone is paid off they will unlock it for free.

Are you just pointing out that it's cheaper in the long run to pay off a contract in one lump sum? That's certainly true, but one reason I have a contract is so I can pay for my device over time...so for me paying a small fee for an unlock that allows me to use my phone abroad while still under contract makes a lot of sense--I don't have to come up with the lump sum to pay off a subsidized device, and I don't have to pay the crazy roaming/international fees from my contract carrier.

Maybe I'm just missing what you mean.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I guess I don't get what you're saying. What's the difference between AT&T and T-Mobile? Once an AT&T phone is paid off they will unlock it for free.

Are you just pointing out that it's cheaper in the long run to pay off a contract in one lump sum? That's certainly true, but one reason I have a contract is so I can pay for my device over time...so for me paying a small fee for an unlock that allows me to use my phone abroad while still under contract makes a lot of sense--I don't have to come up with the lump sum to pay off a subsidized device, and I don't have to pay the crazy roaming/international fees from my contract carrier.

Hey. He mean like this. Person a has tmobile right. He has to buy the phone outright. No matter what. Now if person a what to get his iPhone unlocked person a has to pay a third party like 100 dollars then plus still pay tmobile for the iPhone. So in the end 650 then plus the 100 is 750. But if person a just pay tmobile for the phone in one shot or in time. Then tmobile he give u the unlock code for free. With sprint that want I have. I can just call international and get my unlocked code.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

AT&T subsidizes the phone. T-Mobile does not. They offer two options: buy the phone outright or pay for the phone in installments.

The unofficial unlock fee for AT&T is ~$20. The unofficial unlock for T-Mobile is ~$100.

T-Mobile users aren't trying to get out of their contract. They're trying to unlock a phone that they'll end up owing the balance on regardless. Most are seeing the commercials and not realizing they'll have to pay off the phone before it's unlocked. Then come here pouting when they realize unofficial unlocks aren't cheap hoping that somehow that'll erase their debt on the phone.

I can understand $20 for cheaper roaming. But that's not the case with the 30 T-Mobile threads here are about =/

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods