Unlocking service threatens to blacklist my phones....any advice?

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I sell iphones and pay a service to unlock ATT to tmobile etc. One unlock didn't work and I asked for a refund and they refused. They require 20.00 upfront and deduct each unlock from that and I had an unused balance so I said fine, just refund what I haven't used so I can go to a different unlocker. They refused so I filed a claim on paypal and then the service said they would blacklist every phone they have ever unlocked for me which is about 50 phones. I am certain this is illegal. They are based in the USA. Any advice on who to contact to pursue legal actions for fraudulently blacklisting phones? I also want to have Apple or ATT investigate who this company is and see if their unlocking permission can be revoked.

Thank you.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How about notifying

​1. Police
2. Better Business Bureau or its equivalent
3. Your attorney

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I also want to have Apple or ATT investigate who this company is and see if their unlocking permission can be revoked.
Why do you think they have permission to unlock phones? ATT will unlock a phone if the person's contract has been completed. No need to pay anyone $20 to do it. Are you aware that in the US it is now illegal to carrier unlock a phone without the carrier's permission?

In order to be blacklisted, I think the phone has to be reported lost/stolen by the owner of an account the phone was active on or by an entity like Apple or Asurion who has paid an insurance claim on the device. Or ATT blacklists the phone for failure to pay a bill. ATT is the entity that actually does the blacklisting. Why would they blacklist a phone because an unlocker says to? They would have to activate the phone on their account before they could report it lost/stolen. Is that part of the unlocking process?

Last edited:

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
As AndroidLvr said, it's actually illegal to participate in these types of unlocking schemes now. The police won't be able to help you and if they relock the phones you unlocked, there won't be much you can do. The unlocking business is a very shady industry that is constantly haunted by illegalities and gray areas. All we can tell you is good luck getting it figured out.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

humanmusic

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Why do you think they have permission to unlock phones?

They get permission from Apple.

ATT will unlock a phone if the person's contract has been completed. No need to pay anyone $20 to do it. Are you aware that in the US it is now illegal to carrier unlock a phone without the carrier's permission?

No that is not true.

In order to be blacklisted, I think the phone has to be reported lost/stolen by the owner of an account the phone was active on or by an entity like Apple or Asurion who has paid an insurance claim on the device.

Unlock services can also do this fraudulently.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That is not true. Only phones made after Jan 26, 2013 are illegal to unlock.

Do you have a source for that? My understanding was that it would be illegal to unlock any iPhone, regardless of when it was made, after that date. There was quite a bit of press before that day urging people to unlock why it was still legal.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
How, wouldn't they need ATT to go along with it?
You're aware the unlocking process is modifying IMEI data without AT&T's approval?

I don't have first hand experience, but I'd imagine whatever they've found to enable them to change from locked to unlocked would be able to change to any status?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So is that how they are able to blacklist the phones - by changing them to a blacklisted IMEI?

I'm not saying they're certainly able. The people who would know best are the unlockers here. There's the thread with one giving away unlocks. You should ask him about what all is possible. He would be a better source than I. But, it's only rational to me that if they can modify the status in one way, their hack would modify it in others as well.

phoneguru9

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I think its a bluff.....i doubt if they even have the ability of blacklisting.....they are probably blackmailing you to ease pressure on them

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1