Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    crvntscndy's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Exclamation Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    Last week as I was getting ready to go to the doctors I was getting ready in the restroom & my iPhone fell from my back pocket onto the toilet. The water was clean as I had not gone to the restroom. But it was fully submerged and I took it out right away but the screen turned white with flickering lights and I couldn't power it off so I held the power button and home screen button. I immediately put it in a bowl of rice and took out the sim card and protective plastics. But I'm afraid since the screen started flickering and turned white right away all this waiting is being useless. I've read around but no one mentions not being able to turn it off and having a flickering screen or anything, so have any of you gone through this? Or have any tips?


    Well tonight after 5 days I believe, it didn't turn on. Not even vibrate. Not even an apple. Or a black or white screen.

    So I'm guessing it got fried?


    The thing is I had it jailbroken. Yup a problem.

    Would any of you by any chance happen to know if they could still turn it on and see its been jailbroken?
  2. #2  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,121 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    Quote Originally Posted by crvntscndy View Post
    Last week as I was getting ready to go to the doctors I was getting ready in the restroom & my iPhone fell from my back pocket onto the toilet. The water was clean as I had not gone to the restroom. But it was fully submerged and I took it out right away but the screen turned white with flickering lights and I couldn't power it off so I held the power button and home screen button. I immediately put it in a bowl of rice and took out the sim card and protective plastics. But I'm afraid since the screen started flickering and turned white right away all this waiting is being useless. I've read around but no one mentions not being able to turn it off and having a flickering screen or anything, so have any of you gone through this? Or have any tips?


    Well tonight after 5 days I believe, it didn't turn on. Not even vibrate. Not even an apple. Or a black or white screen.

    So I'm guessing it got fried?


    The thing is I had it jailbroken. Yup a problem.

    Would any of you by any chance happen to know if they could still turn it on and see its been jailbroken?
    Are you covered by insurance or AppleCare? I'm assuming so as you're asking is question.

    If its not turning on, I'd doubt they would take the effort to find a way to enable the HD to look for cydia. If they can get it going, they'd decline you for the jailbreak. Then you go home, restore, and return to discuss the water damage and you'll be fine.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    crvntscndy's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default Re: Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post
    Are you covered by insurance or AppleCare? I'm assuming so as you're asking is question.

    If its not turning on, I'd doubt they would take the effort to find a way to enable the HD to look for cydia. If they can get it going, they'd decline you for the jailbreak. Then you go home, restore, and return to discuss the water damage and you'll be fine.
    Yes I have applecare+

    Also since i couldn't turn it on I couldn't clear it up...does this also mean no one will have access to my information, lets say if they ever used that phone as a refurbished replacement?
  4. #4  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,896 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    Quote Originally Posted by crvntscndy View Post
    Yes I have applecare+

    Also since i couldn't turn it on I couldn't clear it up...does this also mean no one will have access to my information, lets say if they ever used that phone as a refurbished replacement?
    If it won't turn on at all, and they go to refurb it... it will likely be disassembled, and any viable parts will be cleared of any previous stored info before being used in other devices...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    crvntscndy's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    5 Posts

    Default Re: Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    Ok thank you for y'alls responses
  6. #6  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,121 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    Quote Originally Posted by jackmoell2 View Post
    The thing is I had it jailbroken.
    And?
  7. #7  
    hydrogen3's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,038 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,081 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.3

    Default Re: Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    "I had not gone to the restroom". To much information..
    "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them".
  8. #8  
    androidluvr2's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

    Default Re: Jailbroken Iphone 5 Water Damage

    Quote Originally Posted by crvntscndy View Post
    Last week as I was getting ready to go to the doctors I was getting ready in the restroom & my iPhone fell from my back pocket onto the toilet. The water was clean as I had not gone to the restroom.
    Call apple. I know with Asurion, if a phone falls into an unflushed toilet, they consider it a biohazard (which they should). In that case, they ship you a new phone and do not have you send the old phone back. They blacklist the IMEI of the phone that fell into the toilet so it is not like you can ever use it again.

    I suspect that if you just say toilet, they won't take the phone back because they will not assume that even though you did not use the toilet, that it was sanitary. Not all toilets flush all the way, ya know? Gross, I know, but even grosser to be someone who has to handle the device.

    Call Apple and explain the situation. See how they want to handle it. They probably won't even want the device back since it has the potential to be a biohazard.

Similar Threads

  1. HOW TO: Fix a water damaged iPhone
    By Wiltron in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM
  2. iPhone 4 water damage indicator?
    By wireless_peon in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 11:31 PM
  3. how to fix water damaged iphone?
    By humanmusic in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 04:35 PM
  5. Water damage to my iPhone 3g!!!
    By newguy in forum iPhone 3G Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 12:57 PM

Posting Permissions