Can I Safely Uninstall Activator?

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
As the title suggests. It was automatically installed with Cydia but gestures aren't something I use or am bothered about. As it was packaged with Cydia I don't know if it's a required package or if I can safely get rid of it.

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
...and can I uninstall Winterboard too? I don't theme really so I can't see the point of me keeping this one if I can get rid of it.

WreakingHavoc

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Some tweaks use and install Activator such as LockInfo. To have WinterBoard already installed if you didn't install it yourself some other tweak you have must need it and installed it when you installed that tweak.

If you installed them yourself and don't use them you can safely remove them, they don't come pre-installed with Cydia so either you or a tweak installed them.

***Team Jailbreak, sent using TapaTalk
iPhone 5, iPad 2, Apple TV 3, Macbook Air
Tweet @LondonComp ***

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Just uninstalled Winterboard, no issues. Tried to uninstall Activator but SBSettings and SBProfiles was on the list of apps that would be uninstalled with it so I've not bothered.

I only did a JB for SBProfiles and NC Settings so anything else is pretty redundant to me. Maybe I should embrace the JB more and get adventurous.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Neither of those come packaged with Cydia. You installed them both on your own.

If you were unaware, you likely installed a theme. As the theme won't work without winterboard, the installation was handled at that point.

To install SBSettings, you're required to include activator. SBSettings uses activator to handle some tasks, to include sliding your finger across the top to drop down the SBSettings menu. That's why activator installs with it. You're welcome to add more gestures if you'd like, but have to keep activator to keep SBSettings.

Installing SBSettings and NCSettings is somewhat redundant. Anything else might be excess :p

You're more than welcome to get more adventurous, but don't feel compelled. If you're happy with what you have, enjoy it. If you want to find more, go out and look. Either way, do what's fun rather than making things a chore =)

xybadog

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
...Installing SBSettings and NCSettings is somewhat redundant...

Thanks for the reply.

Why do you say they're redundant? The NC Settings toggle bar sits nicely in the notification centre with a much nicer UI than the SBSettings Toggle bar, in my opinion. The SB Settings one sits as an extra window on top and it looks a bit of a mess. But, maybe this layout can be changed, I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Why do you say they're redundant? The NC Settings toggle bar sits nicely in the notification centre with a much nicer UI than the SBSettings Toggle bar, in my opinion. The SB Settings one sits as an extra window on top and it looks a bit of a mess. But, maybe this layout can be changed, I don't know. I'm open to suggestions.
It can be changed, but I said they're redundant because they perform essentially the same task.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2