Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    androidluvr2's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

    Default Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    and is it easy for Apple to tell you have tried to jailbreak your iPhone if you take it in for service under your AppleCare policy?

    The reason I am asking is because it is near impossible (maybe even impossible) to brick a Nexus device by unlocking/rooting/ROMing and that is the only device I have experience tinkering with. I want to jailbreak my mom's iPhone but have to learn how first and I am worried about bricking it.
  2. #2  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    23,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Can I "Brick" my device by Jailbreaking?

    The short answer is, no. While it is theoretically possible to brick your device by flashing an invalid baseband bootloader or purposefully erasing your NOR, those are extremely advanced actions that will not be undertaken by the vast majority of users, especially by accident. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your device simply by jailbreaking it, since DFU mode and recovery mode will always be available to recover from a bad flash or a serious iOS error.

    Jailbreak FAQs.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 04-10-2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 (04-10-2013), kataran (04-11-2013), Sharma15 (04-13-2013)
  3. #3  
    rdiddy_25's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,464 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,289 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Can I "Brick" my device by Jailbreaking?

    The short answer is, no. While it is theoretically possible to brick your device by flashing an invalid baseband bootloader or purposefully erasing your NOR, those are extremely advanced actions that will not be undertaken by the vast majority of users, especially by accident. It is IMPOSSIBLE to brick your device simply by jailbreaking it, since DFU mode and recovery mode will always be available to recover from a bad flash or a serious iOS error.

    Jailbreak FAQs.
    Good job D
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (04-10-2013)
  4. #4  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    23,007 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by rdiddy_25 View Post
    Good job D
    (laughing)...That's the only answer I could provide being that I know absolutely nothing about jailbreaking....
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    androidluvr2's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    After reading that I am still not clear on whether they will be able to tell the device is jailbroken if you take it in for service under your AppleCare policy without having reversed the jailbreak. It seems like they would be able to since during the jailbreak process, afc2 is installed.
  6. #6  
    seashell93's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,614 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,980 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 :)

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    I was concerned too...hence the reason I waited for most of the first year to jailbreak. But now I'm glad I did it...and if there's a problem down the road I will just restore and be happy with it then!

    I've done my daughters iPhone and my youngest's iPod too!
    "Sometimes its not the song that makes you emotional. It's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it."
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 (04-10-2013)
  7. #7  
    JCRocky5's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    48 Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Yes they can tell, either by looking at your springboard for cydia or if you device functions differently ie, new lockscreen, folders in folders or any of the other cracking tweaks.

    They also have software that will look for root access when connected to there mac books.

    So if it breaks & you can't restore it as its dead to the world then they can't tell, if the screen is broken or something is not working correctly, you would need to restore it to an none jailbroken state as they will refuse you service due to the jailbreak. Or just head to a forum for help & bypass apple altogether.
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 (04-10-2013)
  8. #8  
    GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,008 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,718 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    After reading that I am still not clear on whether they will be able to tell the device is jailbroken if you take it in for service under your AppleCare policy without having reversed the jailbreak. It seems like they would be able to since during the jailbreak process, afc2 is installed.
    The only way Apple can tell if your phone is jailbroken is if you take in to an Apple Care place while it's still jailbroken. Once you restore it in iTunes, all the jailbreak evidence is gone.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

    So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 (04-11-2013)
  9. #9  
    Timhewitt's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    566 Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by GingerSnapsBack View Post
    The only way Apple can tell if your phone is jailbroken is if you take in to an Apple Care place while it's still jailbroken. Once you restore it in iTunes, all the jailbreak evidence is gone.
    Apple may very well be logging jail broken phones when you access the App Store. No one knows for sure, however there has been some speculation. We do this for any devices that access our servers, and while we can no longer use the UDID, Apple can...
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 (04-12-2013)
  10. #10  
    JobSteves's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Although I suppose it's possible. Ie been jailbroken for years and never had a problem. Only the occasional crash which is almost always due to a faulty app. Uninstall the app and the problem is gone.
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 (04-12-2013)
  11. #11  
    Headgame's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    21 Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Apple only states that a JB MAY void a warranty claim. Personally I took a jailbroken 4 to the Genius Bar in Santa Monica and had it replaced - no questions - no hassles. Probably fortunate but that is my experience. Better to restore however, You might not be as fortunate as me.
    Thanked by:
    androidluvr2 (04-12-2013)
  12. #12  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,190 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timhewitt View Post
    Apple may very well be logging jail broken phones when you access the App Store. No one knows for sure, however there has been some speculation. We do this for any devices that access our servers, and while we can no longer use the UDID, Apple can...
    Easy there conspiracy theorist. Let's assume for a moment your idea was accurate. The only possible purpose Apple would have for this would be to deny warranty claims.

    As jailbreakers have had zero issue restoring their phone and taking it in for replacement, clearly the phones aren't being tracked and blacklisted.

    Let's ease up on the nonsense?
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    androidluvr2's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post
    As jailbreakers have had zero issue restoring their phone and taking it in for replacement, clearly the phones aren't being tracked and blacklisted.
    They might not be blacklisted, but I don't doubt Apple keeps stats on it.
  14. #14  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,867 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,903 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post
    Easy there conspiracy theorist. Let's assume for a moment your idea was accurate. The only possible purpose Apple would have for this would be to deny warranty claims.

    As jailbreakers have had zero issue restoring their phone and taking it in for replacement, clearly the phones aren't being tracked and blacklisted.

    Let's ease up on the nonsense?
    I learned from their posts a long time ago to not even bother paying it any attention. Anyway to the OP if you're worried about voiding your warranty because of Jailbreaking then don't as someone said before. If your device is in a state where it can't even start there is no way for them to tell it's Jailbroken or been Jailbroken. If the device is still functional then you would put it into DFU mode and restore the iOS and set it up as new. This would wipe out the Jailbreak and reload the OS from scratch which means there should be no lingering JB signs. Even if there were the genius is not going to search to find a reason to refuse you warranty. Apple stores are Apple's face to consumers and having pissed off customers is not something they want. If you walk in with the device clearly Jailbroken they will tell you that they can't do anything because it is Jailbroken but they don't take your name down or anything so you simply restore and come back another day. I've taken my iPhone 5 in to the genius bar to have the lightning cable replaced. I turned off my tweaks and made sure the UI looked like it's supposed to had no problems.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  15. #15  
    Timhewitt's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    566 Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by natasftw View Post
    Easy there conspiracy theorist. Let's assume for a moment your idea was accurate. The only possible purpose Apple would have for this would be to deny warranty claims.

    As jailbreakers have had zero issue restoring their phone and taking it in for replacement, clearly the phones aren't being tracked and blacklisted.

    Let's ease up on the nonsense?
    Conspiracy? Not a chance.

    Apple has discussed blocking jail broken devices from accessing the Apple ecosystem. They now can legally do so, the only question is will they.
  16. #16  
    sherlock's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,741 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    (laughing)...That's the only answer I could provide being that I know absolutely nothing about jailbreaking....
    Coulda fooled me!


    Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk
  17. #17  
    sherlock's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,741 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timhewitt View Post
    Conspiracy? Not a chance.

    Apple has discussed blocking jail broken devices from accessing the Apple ecosystem. They now can legally do so, the only question is will they.
    And who do you think would be the looser in this? Pretty sure it would be Apple and the devs of stock apps.


    Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk
  18. #18  
    natasftw's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,190 Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Timhewitt View Post
    Conspiracy? Not a chance.

    Apple has discussed blocking jail broken devices from accessing the Apple ecosystem. They now can legally do so, the only question is will they.
    Definitely a conspiracy.

    Legally? What case are you referring to? Are you confusing jailbreaking and unlocking? Jailbreaking is still perfectly legal. Unlocking is not.

    Regardless, let's consider the response. Many jailbreakers are opposed to piracy. If the only way to get apps from the app store was piracy, it would persuade some to change their minds. Other would opt to use jailbreak options instead. Other devs would release their apps to both jailbreak and app store. And yes, some would go back to "pure."

    Other users buy Apple products purely because they're able to jailbreak. Without that option, those users would look elsewhere for solutions.

    Current jailbreaking doesn't hurt Apple's bottom line. Your suggestion would. There's a reason Apple has only discussed and not acted on your beliefs.

    Yes, conspiracy.
  19. #19  
    Mehdi Shah's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Is it easy to brick your iPhone if you try to jailbreak it?

    Actually you cannot brick any iDevice . When you jailbreak it , nothing will get wrong and if somthing gets wrong then connect your iDevice to mac or pc and open itunes .Click on iphone and you can restore it BUT FIRST ! YOU MUST MAKE BACKUP OF YOUR IPHONE FROM ITUNES !

Similar Threads

  1. If you preordered iPhone 5 on apple site beware if you tried to add a line
    By ekneeiphone in forum Carrier Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM
  3. Still on 3.0, is it worth it to even upgrade to 3.1 yet if I want to JB?
    By Larzo in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 10:08 PM
  4. How to Trick Your iPhone Into Thinking Its On Wi-Fi
    By jamesus in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 03:54 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 01:45 AM

Posting Permissions