Questions from a new user

JAGWIRE

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got an iPhone 3G for my fiance, she broke her old phone and wanted to get used to using an iPhone before her update at the end of the year. This means that I get a crash course in the phone and the world of Apple.

I have never owned an Apple product before but being a techy i am familiar with Apple products.

They phone I just got her, i was told, is Jail Broken and Unlocked. If i were to set the phone back to factory settings would it undo the Jail Break and Unlock?
I have already read that being Jail Broken means that i can put 3rd party apps on there that normaly wouldnt be allowed by Apple. Is this correct?
Can this device still connect with other things in the Apple Ecosystem like iCloud or Apple TV? or do i need a more up to date iOS to work thoes features?
seeing how the SIM is built into the phone, my understading, to switch it as her current device i would just her providor and they would do it no problem?do i have to change teh SIM?

thank you for the help anyonethat responds

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got an iPhone 3G for my fiance, she broke her old phone and wanted to get used to using an iPhone before her update at the end of the year. This means that I get a crash course in the phone and the world of Apple.

I have never owned an Apple product before but being a techy i am familiar with Apple products.

They phone I just got her, i was told, is Jail Broken and Unlocked. If i were to set the phone back to factory settings would it undo the Jail Break and Unlock?
I have already read that being Jail Broken means that i can put 3rd party apps on there that normaly wouldnt be allowed by Apple. Is this correct?
Can this device still connect with other things in the Apple Ecosystem like iCloud or Apple TV? or do i need a more up to date iOS to work thoes features?
seeing how the SIM is built into the phone, my understading, to switch it as her current device i would just her providor and they would do it no problem?do i have to change teh SIM?

Most everything you said is true in that if you reset to factory you will lose the jailbreak but should not lose the unlock. Even though you have a 3G I will move this to the JB forum for you where you might get all the other answers you are looking for. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site

Congrats on ur new iPhone. U are correct, once u update the OS, it will break the jailbreak and unlock on the phone. Being jailbroken, u still can connect to the App Store, iTunes, etc...which carrier do u currently have?

JAGWIRE

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
this phone is for my Fiance, im very happy with my BB Z10.
she is currently on Bell. i dont know the original carrier of the 3G though
will sge be able to use iCloud and Apple TV with the 3G?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
this phone is for my Fiance, im very happy with my BB Z10.
she is currently on Bell. i dont know the original carrier of the 3G though
will sge be able to use iCloud and Apple TV with the 3G?

If its not Bell then restoring it will lock it back to the original carrier. And NO iCloud and Apple TV require 3GS or higher device to work

JAGWIRE

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
awesome thanks for the info. is there a way to find out who the original carrier of the phone was? other then finding the original owner and asking

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The difference between the 3G and the newer iPhones is enough that your intended purpose won't really be satisfied.

Being held back to an older iOS version prevents you from using many of the features. Rdiddy already covered a couple if those features.

Something else you might consider is looking at an iPod touch or used iPad. You can find either of those items moderately priced. If you have kids, the iPod touch might provide useful as more than an introduction to apple products. If you do take this option, be sure to check the model number on the back to find out the generation and search to see that it will update to iOS 5 or newer. This will give you the most similar experience to the new iPhones. If you happened to be in the tablet market, using your iPad would be far more comparable to a new iPhone than the 3G.

In addition to default features that only exist on modern iOS versions, many apps will no longer be supported or installable on older iOS versions. You won't truly get the experience you're looking to provide when she gets the phone.

Another option is to trust your tech abilities. Many of the restrictions apple imposes are meant to target non-tech users. Apple TV use is simply putting the phone and appletv on the same network. To send your phone to the appletv you'll click on the little up arrow that shows up on media. iCloud is mostly signing in and choosing the options from your settings menu. You should be able to easily help guide her through these, if she even needs help, without having worked with apple products in the past.

Finding the carrier might be a mess. That will be more of a headache than helping your wife later.

Restoring to get rid of the jailbreak won't change anything within the apple ecosystem. It'll just add more headache.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can use a website like http://www.imei.info/ to know the real status of your device if it's truly unlocked (By "truly" I mean by IMEI, which is permanent or by any jb hack which usually are not permanent and lost if you restore).
It should also tell you the original carrier.

Other option you have is search here in the forum for a thread called "unlock factory" Mark there can also help you out with that.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal