Verizon is SIM unlocking my iPhone 4S

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is SIM unlocking my iPhone 4S for me, so apparently the Verizon iPhone 4S has a GSM radio because it is not a 4G LTE device so there is no reason for it to have a SIM card on Verizon.

My question is, if the iPhone 4S is SIM unlocked, does that mean that it can be used on ATT or TMobile? The reason I am asking is because on some verizon iPhone 4S listings I see that it is unlocked for international GSM carriers only, not ATT or TMobile. How can that be?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is SIM unlocking my iPhone 4S for me, so apparently the Verizon iPhone 4S has a GSM radio because it is not a 4G LTE device so there is no reason for it to have a SIM card on Verizon.

My question is, if the iPhone 4S is SIM unlocked, does that mean that it can be used on ATT or TMobile? The reason I am asking is because on some verizon iPhone 4S listings I see that it is unlocked for international GSM carriers only, not ATT or TMobile. How can that be?
The main reason VZW would unlock your phone is so that you can use it internationally. That is the main reason. WHen you called them to ask them to do this I would have asked for an explanation and that way you get it direct from the carrier on what the unlock means for you.

Last edited:

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Apparently there is a MCN/MCC restriction in the firmware that prevents using an ATT or T-Mobile SIM in an unlocked VZW iPhone 4S. You can however use a foreign SIM in it and when in the US it will roam on ATT.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The SIM unlock on a 4S on Verizon is for international GSM only. US-based GSM providers are blocked elsewhere in the radio chipset.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am going to call back and get the answer direct from Global Support. In the meantime, looks like the answer to my question is somewhere in this thread for those interested:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/696707

1-800-711-8300 Global Support is the number to call.

Anyone who knows more or who has done this, please chime in!
Very good and I think the link you posted is most helpful and pretty much says everything you need to know. Good luck with the unlock.:)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My 4S was unlocked by Verizon just prior to getting my iP5... I restored the 4S via iTunes... and between the restore completing and getting the opportunity to restore from back-up a screen popped up that said I was unlocked...

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
My 4S was unlocked by Verizon just prior to getting my iP5... I restored the 4S via iTunes... and between the restore completing and getting the opportunity to restore from back-up a screen popped up that said I was unlocked...
Good to know. I was wondering if there were a way to verify that the unlock went through.

I can't see any downside to unlocking your iPhone 4S. It makes it more valuable if you are going to sell it and it doesn't interfere with use in the US.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I just did that and got the same screen after I went through the VZW unlock and reset/restored through iTunes!

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
shut up dear old poeple will come to help me

You're not likely to get any help at all with those kind of comments...

The process for unlocking a Verizon phone is such that it is not very easy to do for legit customers to do on their own phones, let alone do it for someone else. Sorry about that.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am going to call back and get the answer direct from Global Support. In the meantime, looks like the answer to my question is somewhere in this thread for those interested:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/696707

1-800-711-8300 Global Support is the number to call.

Anyone who knows more or who has done this, please chime in!

Ya that's why it's global support it gets unlocked for international only so any US carrier will not work .. I did this to mine before I sold it to increase the value

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

WhiteSpir1t

May 26, 2013
Visit site
This is not entirely true.

The Verizon iPhone 4S is essentially a GSM and CDMA code added to the baseband.

I have a gevey sim being used in the Verizon iPhone 4S and it works on T-Mobile.

An alternative to not having a gevey sim is to have Verizon unlock the iPhone 4S. Once unlocked, disable the CDMA antenna so it will only default to the GSM signals. To disable the CDMA antenna, 2 plist files must be removed. For some odd reason, both Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S have each others' antenna file--just remove both of them, or better yet, back them up and move them to a different folder. This way, if you want to return to verizon without having to wipe the phone with iTunes. Needless to say, this would require a jailbreak to access the filesystem of the phone.

here is from another site: How to Unlock Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4s ios 5.01 with REBEL X-SIM - GSM-Forum

- Connect your 4S with iFunbox
- Go to /var/wireless/Library then delete file carrier_310VZW_20404_11.x.plist ----the Sprint file should be carrier_310SPA_20404_11.x.plist
- Go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundle/iPhone delete folder Zeppelin_US.bundle and delete your sim card carrier

of course do not just delete the files. back them up by moving them to a different directory or just rename them :)

I have done file renaming in addition to using gevey sim imposer since my phone isn't unlocked. If unlocked, you'd still need to move/rename files.

=============
Some people complain of the lack of "Enable 3G" switch in Settings of the phone since being stuck on 3G without the ability to turn it off will drain the battery quicker. This is a feature unique to only T-Mobile and AT&T phones. A workaround is to look for an app on Cydia called DropCallEliminator. DropCallEliminator will enable EDGE as the precursor to 3G--it retains internet connection while conserving battery.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen