Iphone 3gs +Cydia +IOS Problems!

iheartkellan

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
So, I got this Iphone 3gs a few weeks ago, and I finally tried to download apps like facebook and netflix, but it will not let me. I have the update 4.2.1 I think. Well, I downloaded Cydia and they say there's a way to download apps. Is that true? Can someone please help me so I can get on with my life?

I just hate not downloading apps with a phone I got as a gift. Thanks!

- Mikaela

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Cydia won't help you download. Your best bet is to update your iOS. There's been a lot of changes between 4.2 and 6 that hurt backwards compatibility. The apps you're trying to download likely have a more recent iOS requirement to run.

You don't need a jailbreak to accomplish what you're looking for. Just plug your phone into iTunes and choose to update.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Cydia won't help you download. Your best bet is to update your iOS. There's been a lot of changes between 4.2 and 6 that hurt backwards compatibility. The apps you're trying to download likely have a more recent iOS requirement to run.

You don't need a jailbreak to accomplish what you're looking for. Just plug your phone into iTunes and choose to update.

Before doing this you must check whether the phone is using a software unlock, because if you update and it does. Then you might not be able to use you sim as it may be locked to another network. Go into Cydia, manage, packages and then check if you have something called ultrasn0w installed. If you do there is a very high chance your phone has a network lock.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Before doing this you must check whether the phone is using a software unlock, because if you update and it does. Then you might not be able to use you sim as it may be locked to another network. Go into Cydia, manage, packages and then check if you have something called ultrasn0w installed. If you do there is a very high chance your phone has a network lock.

Isn't locking mostly a US problem? If so, a much easier way to see if locking is an issue is to check your bill and see if it comes from AT&T. If so, locking isn't an issue.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Isn't locking mostly a US problem? If so, a much easier way to see if locking is an issue is to check your bill and see if it comes from AT&T. If so, locking isn't an issue.

I think you missing what I'm saying buddy. If the mod's phone relies on a software network unlock and the mod doesn't know it. Then if they update to 6.1.3, then they will have a problem. Over here in the UK 3G's are commonly unlocked via a jailbreak and then ultrasn0w if they are not factory unlocked. The reason I bought this up is because the mod said the phone was a gift. Therefore, they don't know the history of the phone. Being a 3GS with a jailbreak, still on IOS 4, kinda hints to me that it could be jailbroken to unlock a network. It's not definite, however thought it best to bring to there attention as I have seen others do exactly this and then have to rely on a tethered jailbreak or they downgrade if one is possible with a blob.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73