iPad 4 jailbreak, beginner questions

Floridadomer

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Let me start off by saying that I am new to Apple products. Please don?t hate me, I am an Android guy at heart but have now purchased an Ipad 4. As much as I hate to admit it, the Ipad is what a Tablet should be. I have purchased every ?top of the line? android tablet and still had lags and crashes. My family and friends are loving that I have been eating crow and now having to admit that I am enjoying my new Ipad 4. I have done some research and it looks like to get some of the features that I am used to in Android, I will need to Jailbreak it. So with that said, I humbly ask for some help and advice on Jailbreaking.
Ipad 4 on Verizon
1.) Can this even be Jailbroken since it is on a carrier?
2.) Are there any repercussions from the carrier if they find out it?s been jailbroken?
3.) What are the chances that it will get bricked?
4.) If I need to send it off for repair, is a way to reverse it so Apple doesn?t know? I am assuming that it would void any warranty?
5.) Does Jailbreaking it make it any slower? I don?t want to make it feel like all of those android tablets that I had.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Deano

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Newby Questions

Let me start off by saying that I am new to Apple products. Please don?t hate me, I am an Android guy at heart but have now purchased an Ipad 4. As much as I hate to admit it, the Ipad is what a Tablet should be. I have purchased every ?top of the line? android tablet and still had lags and crashes. My family and friends are loving that I have been eating crow and now having to admit that I am enjoying my new Ipad 4. I have done some research and it looks like to get some of the features that I am used to in Android, I will need to Jailbreak it. So with that said, I humbly ask for some help and advice on Jailbreaking.
Ipad 4 on Verizon
1.)Can this even be Jailbroken since it is on a carrier?
2.)Are there any repercussions from the carrier if they find out it?s been jailbroken?
3.)What are the chances that it will get bricked?
4.)If I need to send it off for repair, is a way to reverse it so Apple doesn?t know? I am assuming that it would void any warranty?
5.)Does Jailbreaking it make it any slower? I don?t want to make it feel like all of those android tablets that I had.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Deano

Welcome to Apple. You've made a good choice. Apple devices are the best and most stable devices out there. I'm sure you've seen firsthand the issues that often arise with Android devices. Here are some answers.

1) Yes, any iOS device can currently be jailbroken. We have how-to's on iMore and in the forums.

2) Verizon won't know it's been jailbroken unless you were to take it in and tell them it was.

3) The chances are low that it will brick. They are much higher than for a stock device, but still low.

4) Yes, just restore it to a backup from iTunes or iCloud and upload the latest OS onto it. This will remove the jailbreak.

5) Yes, jailbreaking will slow your device and can cause many issues. I don't recommend jailbreaking unless you really have some functionality you need by jailbreaking. It's especially not recommended if you don't know much about the device and how it works.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Newby Questions

5) Yes, jailbreaking will slow your device and can cause many issues. I don't recommend jailbreaking unless you really have some functionality you need by jailbreaking. It's especially not recommended if you don't know much about the device and how it works.

Outside of this, jcl was spot on.

Jailbreaking only slows your device if you install an app with a memory leak. The issue exists with non-jb apps as well. Jb apps are less scrutinized, but you can generally figure out which is causing problems in a hurry.

When you first jailbreak the phone, it's like just getting a new phone. You'll install a group of apps in a hurry. After that, you'll add things sporadically. After the first phase, it becomes pretty clear which app is causing issues. Your phone was fine, you installed a new app, it's crashing. Guess which it is.

The last line was the least useful. Jailbreaking has windows. As an example, the recent window is for iOS versions 6.0-6.1.2. Anything after that won't work. If you wait to jailbreak until you feel comfortable with the device, it's more likely you're taking those upgrades. If you wish to wait, be sure to avoid any iOS upgrades. Refuse those pesky badges and notices from iTunes((until you disable them)). I'd be more likely to suggest getting the jailbreak, but not installing jailbreak apps until you feel comfy with the tablet. Jailbreaking without adding any apps will neither slow your device nor cause issues.

It's not nearly as scary as that shortsighted reply made it sound.