Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 e1.5

Default New BiteSMS Theme: Blackfeet

So I have taken the best ideas from the other themes out there, i.e. that work best FOR ME, and created my own theme for biteSMS. For the most part, I needed something with high contrast due to my 50(ish) eyes. I tried to create a .deb install file following these instructions, with a big help from 3cit, but the 30 minutes I had to figure it out has expired and the Boss tells me I have better things to do with my time on my day off! With that said, here is a Box link to the folder. Download and install it with iFunbox or something similar into your biteSMS Themes folder and let me know what you think...

Box.net Link: https://www.box.com/shared/gdzdt7iqmq8orgxgry73

Free for the taking, I took from quite a few different themes and modified what I took to fit me, so it is my way if paying it forward.
    Last edited by Blackfeet; 03-30-2013 at 09:40 AM.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: New BiteSMS Theme: Blackfeet

I don't have Dropbox. Any way to create a link that works with ifile??
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 e1.5

You should not need Dropbox to download the folder, just click the link and it will take you to the Dropbox website with all of the folders and parts there, then along the top you will see a "Download Folder" button, click that.

When I get a couple of hours free (not soon) I'll try and figure out the .deb process that will work within iFile.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I tried that I hit download and it wants you to either register or sign in to Dropbox !! No other option to download
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfeet View Post
    When I get a couple of hours free (not soon) I'll try and figure out the .deb process that will work within iFile.
    You might be interested to know that you can submit themes to the ModMyi repo as zip files—they handle the deb creation on their end. See ModMyi.com/mmi to get started. Although you might run into trouble if your theme is using work from other themes without permission, especially if those themes are paid themes. Otherwise, using mmi is a great way to get going in Cydia!
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 e1.5

Thanks Massie. Did not know that, and I'll give it a try. Although this is a one-and-done thing...

And your point is valid, and raises an interesting ethical question I think. I am not, to my knowledge, using anything from the themes I looked at and borrowed ideas from in my theme, at least in their raw form. I liked a lot of ideas from a lot of different themes (a lot is relative, there really are not that many of them), but modified everything I used to fit my needs and design thoughts. Most of what I used came from "Hmm - I didn't know you could do that. How does that work?" and I'd figure it out over time and use it.

So, is it the opinion amongst those who care that this is wrong? I was only trying to pay my efforts forward for anyone else who needed a high contrast theme.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you're just taking inspiration from them I think it's fine (we all build on the work of others to some degree); I thought you meant you were using the actual images from other themes. Even then some developers are okay with it—some encourage tweaking and redistributing if they are properly credited—but it's something that varies case by case.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 e1.5

Thanks again Massie. "Taking inspiration" is a lot better term for what I have done than "borrowing ideas". All images were redrawn or are from open sources, as are the icons. Bubbles and text fields were drawn from scratch once I learned what the parameters were from other themes.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Cool, would love to see some screenshots!
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2 e1.5

OK, let's see if I can manage this...

QR Window:

QC Window:

SMS Thread:

iMessage Thread: