HELP Jailbroken Iphone 5 (6.1.1) Stuck in BootLoop Cant Restore :(

shampz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello Friends

I Have a Jail-broken iPhone 5 Running 6.1.1

Everything was fine, until this morning. I woke up and saw that there was no carrier signal, so i rebooted the device. This is when it all started.

My iPhone went in to a boot loop and it started flashing the apple logo over and over again. I was able to enter the recovery mode (connected to PC while keeping the home button pressed) and the iTunes logo appeared. Tunes displayed a message that the phone needs to be restored and it started downloading the latest firmware (6.1.3). I knew i will loose the jailbreak but i wanted to get my phone up and running so i went with it. Once the file was downloaded, it started the restore process, verified it with apple and once the phone rebooted it gave me an unknown error 21.

I googled about it and most of the results pointed towards putting the device into DFU mode.

Now in the DFU mode, i have encountered 2 different scenarios.

A. If I enter the DFU mode from the recovery screen (the iPhone is displaying iTunes Logo) iTunes start the recovery process, validates everything and during the process the iPhone reboots, the recovery screen(iTunes logo) comes and I get the error 21.

B. If i enter the DFU mode from the apple loop, iTunes start the restore process, the iPhone reboots. after the reboot, the phone goes back to the apple logo loop and the iTunes displays that it is validating the restore for a long time and then give me the 1602 error.

I also read somewhere that the Error has some thing to do with Tiny umbrella. I have modified the setting in tiny umbrella and modified the hosts fine but nothing seems to be working.

As a last resort i shifted to a different computer(i have never used any iPhone with it) installed the latest iTunes but i get the same results. Then i read somewhere that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery also fixes it. I am not keen to do that i have no experience with hardware and i am not sure i will be able to do it.

Please help me, this is my first iPhone and i have spent all my day looking for a solution but i cant seem to fine one.

If i cant fix it and have to give it in for repairs, will Apple find it that my phone was jail-broken. If yes, they might not fix it or charge me a fortune to fix it. :(

Thanks in advance,

Shamps.

shampz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Any help guys?? Or may be some1 confirm if it is OK to hand it in just like this since it is not booting up at all.

Should i hand in a non booting jailbroken device?

Cheers!!

shampz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Do you have another computer running iTunes? You could try restoring on another machine if you just want to get it up and running.

I have tried on 3 different computers but same error is returned. Its seems like its hard bricked. I have looked and asked around on the internet. But nothing seems to work.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe give this a shot, it's from these forums but I can't remember who posted it:

"You have two different problems, but regardless of your phone's state, the restore won't work with hosts pointing to cydia. That's an easy fix, so do that and then work on the phone itself. Here's how:
Windows:
Close iTunes
Start ?> Programs ?> Accessories
Right-click Notepad or WordPad and choose "run as administrator"
Click ?Open..? from File menu.
Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
In "files of type:" select all documents
Open "hosts"
Either delete any line that has "gs.apple.com", or add a "#" sign at the beginning of the line to comment it out
Hit Save
Close and re-open your browser
Visit GCS Default Web Server to verify that the hosts file is pointing to Apple and not Cydia.
Restore your device.
Mac OS X:
On your Mac, go to your ?Applications? folder.
Now navigate to the ?Utilities? folder.
Launch "Terminal".
Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without quotes) and hit return.
Enter your password
Use the down arrow key to find the ?gs.apple.com? entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering ?#? in front of the text.
Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O.
Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X.
If iTunes is open, close and re-open it so that it uses the changed hosts file.
Restore your device."

shampz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe give this a shot, it's from these forums but I can't remember who posted it:

"You have two different problems, but regardless of your phone's state, the restore won't work with hosts pointing to cydia. That's an easy fix, so do that and then work on the phone itself. Here's how:
Windows:
Close iTunes
Start ?> Programs ?> Accessories
Right-click Notepad or WordPad and choose "run as administrator"
Click ?Open..? from File menu.
Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
In "files of type:" select all documents
Open "hosts"
Either delete any line that has "gs.apple.com", or add a "#" sign at the beginning of the line to comment it out
Hit Save
Close and re-open your browser
Visit GCS Default Web Server to verify that the hosts file is pointing to Apple and not Cydia.
Restore your device.
Mac OS X:
On your Mac, go to your ?Applications? folder.
Now navigate to the ?Utilities? folder.
Launch "Terminal".
Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without quotes) and hit return.
Enter your password
Use the down arrow key to find the ?gs.apple.com? entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering ?#? in front of the text.
Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O.
Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X.
If iTunes is open, close and re-open it so that it uses the changed hosts file.
Restore your device."

Thanks for the input but I have already tried it and it doesn't work. :(

Kurtis Calhoun

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever figure it out because i be leave i am having the same problem :S I have a iphone 4 and it was jail broken and was on ios 6.1.2, i don't know why i tried restoring it but i did and it was going fine and then it failed and now my iPhone is stuck on the connect to iTunes logo and it wont let me restore :( please help!

shampz

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever figure it out because i be leave i am having the same problem :S I have a iphone 4 and it was jail broken and was on ios 6.1.2, i don't know why i tried restoring it but i did and it was going fine and then it failed and now my iPhone is stuck on the connect to iTunes logo and it wont let me restore :( please help!

What sort of error are you getting? Try restoring in DFU mode. Mine didn't restore at all. It was under warranty so i just got it replaced a day before.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like you got your answer already. But no, they couldn't have seen it was jailbroken. Jailbreaking is a software change. They'd have to get to the hard drive, which is above what the geniuses can handle.

mcsorley78

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you solved it yet? i am getting a very similar problem, mine is also stuck in a boot-loop but when i go to restore it i get (what i call) an error-circle which is where i get the error 3014 and to fix it i have to put an extra line in the hosts file and once i do that if i go to restore it i get the error 3194 which to fix that i have to delete the extra line i put in the hosts file but when i do that i get the error 3014 so as you can see it's a circle. Nothing else has worked for me ether, and i've tried what i think is everything, but i read on a forum that some guy fixed his by holding the power and home button until it flashes white, then as soon the apple logo appears hold in the home button, he said he did it for 7mins but it worked for him, maybe it will work for you, but it didn't for me. ipod.png

toddly12

May 23, 2013
Visit site
mine is stuck in the connect to itunes as well, when i plug it in my computer makes the sound that its connected but nothing else happens. please help