Can I restore to iOS 5 after jailbreak?

Tomtom111

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

When iOS 6 first came out I had trouble with it on my iPhone 4S, such as not connecting to wifi at all, so I immediately downgraded back to iOS 5.1.1. I'm not sure if these bugs have been resolved since the initial release so I am reluctant to update, as now I can't go back again. So I was wondering that if I were to jailbreak my iPhone, while still on iOS 5.1.1 whether I would be able to restore it back to its unjailbroken state on iOS 5.1.1, or whether I would be forced onto iOS 6.1.3.

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if I haven't been very clear.

Thanks,
Tom

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

When iOS 6 first came out I had trouble with it on my iPhone 4S, such as not connecting to wifi at all, so I immediately downgraded back to iOS 5.1.1. I'm not sure if these bugs have been resolved since the initial release so I am reluctant to update, as now I can't go back again. So I was wondering that if I were to jailbreak my iPhone, while still on iOS 5.1.1 whether I would be able to restore it back to its unjailbroken state on iOS 5.1.1, or whether I would be forced onto iOS 6.1.3.

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if I haven't been very clear.

Thanks,
Tom
Well first off Tom I don't know how you downgraded from an OS 6 to an OS 5 which is unheard of but once you are jailbroken and if you are on 5.1.1 as you say once you go to 6.1.3 you are stuck there and to top that off it is the impression right now that you cannot jailbreak at all right now on 6.1.3 ...until someone finds a way around doing it.

Once you go to 6.1.3 there is no looking back.
Edit: Once you jailbreak your phone and update to a new OS you always have to rejailbreak as you will lose that.

Last edited:

Tomtom111

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I just redownloaded the iOS 5 file from apples site and it just worked. I did it less than 48 hours after iOS 6 was released. If I were to jailbreak, I would jailbreak my phone as it is on 5.1.1 if I can restore it back to that, but I will update and jailbreak if all the wifi bugs, and other have been sorted out for iPhone 4S's. Have they?

Also, I have iOS 6.1.2 already downloaded so I may be able to update my phone to that.

Tomtom111

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Bringing back to the original topic, it is an iPhone 4S, that is why I put it in the 4S forum. So just to clarify, if I tried to restore my iPhone after jail breaking it would be updated to 6.1.3 no matter what I did?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oops, not there anymore! I hate these Mods sometimes...

For future reference, if a post is in relation to a jailbreak and is not posted in the jailbreak section of the forum, more than likely it will be moved there.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Bringing back to the original topic, it is an iPhone 4S, that is why I put it in the 4S forum. So just to clarify, if I tried to restore my iPhone after jail breaking it would be updated to 6.1.3 no matter what I did?

Unless I'm mistaken, if you restore your jailbroken phone via iTunes, you will lose your jailbreak and be updated to the latest iOS version.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
You cannot restore a iPhone 4S to anything except the current firmware, and 6.1.3 isn't jailbreakable. If you want to jailbreak do it on 5.1.1 and pray everything goes well, otherwise you would have to go to 6.1.3.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad Mini GSM ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Oops, not there anymore! I hate these Mods sometimes...

It's not that I am worried about getting in trouble, I just dislike when I'm out of context just because something is moved without any indication that it's happened.

And also, as an engineer who works in the highly dynamic and innovative mobile IC market, I can appreciate when a thread goes off topic once in a while. Sometimes I feel stifled when an interesting, non-confrontational thread gets closed simply because it veers a little bit off the beaten track.

Occasionally, you can find an amazing idea once in a while where you wouldn't have thought of looking.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not that I am worried about getting in trouble, I just dislike when I'm out of context just because something is moved without any indication that it's happened.

And also, as an engineer who works in the highly dynamic and innovative mobile IC market, I can appreciate when a thread goes off topic once in a while. Sometimes I feel stifled when an interesting, non-confrontational thread gets closed simply because it veers a little bit off the beaten track.

Occasionally, you can find an amazing idea once in a while where you wouldn't have thought of looking.

I understand, but the fact of the matter is this: A great deal of people only view subscribed threads and a lot of people with jailbroken devices subscribe to the jailbreak threads. Having said that, if you have a problem and your device is jailbroken, the odds that you will get faster assistance increases if your post is read by people with jailbroken devices, thus the move to the jailbreak thread. We read through an enormous amount of posts everyday and through it all, we strive to provide the best assistance possible. We're not perfect and we have our good days and bad days, but one thing is certain, we do our best to help whenever we can.

Scott Conley

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes you can, however you have to find sites that still carry the original restores. There is a site called iphonunlocker.com, which has all the original restores. It cost about $10, though...but is well worth it, for all the trouble it saves.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can, however you have to find sites that still carry the original restores. There is a site called iphonunlocker.com, which has all the original restores. It cost about $10, though...but is well worth it, for all the trouble it saves.

Unlocking and restoring aren't the same thing. You can get the old ipsw files for free on iclarified. This has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is related to apple signing the restore, which they won't do. Downgrading requires shsh blobs specific to your device and the iOS version. These must be acquired while apple was still signing restores of that specific iOS version. Additionally, the restoring software requires a hack of sorts to get the phone to respond to the shsh blobs. This doesn't exist for the 4s while downgrading from ios6, at least to this point.

The answer remains no. Jailbreaking is irrelevant to the question.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77