Wifi and Signal bars in iFile Heirarchy

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm just dumb and am missing the obvious, but can someone point out where these UI images are buried in the device? I've found some nice replacements, but most write ups say to drop them into a theme folder and create a folder called UIImages. Well, I don't have a theme folder cause I don't use winter board. Can I place a folder in some other area?

Thanks guys!!!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It can be done, but it's pretty complex. Those images are part of a bigger artwork file; to replace a few directly means unpacking and repacking the whole thing. Details here: iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)

Winterboard is MUCH easier and a heck of a lot more flexible. Unless you're on an ancient device I can't see a reason not to use it.

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Looks like the files I'm looking for are in that artwork file. This will be a fun time to dig a bit deeper into the OS and see what I turn up. :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
More power to you, but this seems like overkill to me. Is Winterboard really that bad on your device? Have you used it with this jailbreak, or are you basing your opinion on earlier experiences?

If you're the type of person who doesn't like to tweak their themes often, then I suppose this–even though it's still extra work–will do the job. But as someone who enjoys changing things up fairly often on my device, it's hard for me to imagine extracting, changing, recompiling, and SSHing the .artwork file every single time I wanted to change the look of my wifi icon. Just reading a small part of those instructions makes my head hurt!:

Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 4.34.50 PM.png

Like I said, more power to you! I like to think I'm into my iPhone, but you've got me beat.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
you dont really need to replace the entire artwork file for the entire system though, thats what im getting at.
you can use ifile or ifunbox and target specific images on the device.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that's true though, for these files--don't you have to unpack the artwork file, replace what you want, and then repack it and put the entire file back on the device? I don't see a way to do that in iFile.

I'm talking specifically about the .artwork files in /System/Library/Frameworks/Ulkit.framework/...obviously if it were just another regular folder than you could easily replace one image with another.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
so the wifi symbols that appears in the statusbar (and others) are all located in that .artwork file and nowhere else?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
so the wifi symbols that appears in the statusbar (and others) are all located in that .artwork file and nowhere else?

I believe that's right, although obviously some apps will have their own versions for use in-app. (Just search "wifi" in iFile to see a bunch.) But the wifi bars that you see in themes inside of a "UIImages" folder are located inside that .artwork file. To give you an idea of how many images it has:

whoa.png

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Massie is correct, these files all seem to sit comfortably inside that artwork file. And for the 35+MB that it is, it holds a good amount of info within it.

And to clarify, I have a 4s running 6.1 (which will become 6.1.2 before they release 6.1.3). I've used winter board many times (great learning tool for understanding theming and the ios file structure) and have nothing against it. I've never found it running slow or having too many conflicts. I also don't change my settings around much. I have the tweaks I use excessively and like, the font that best suits my needs, biteLiquid, and a few others.

I just find that I can copy and entire folder after I've made the changes I like, then when I update or restore, I go back into the device and ensure the hierarchy is the same. If it is, I drop my folders back into place and reboot. Within 30 minutes, I have my phone jail broken, restored from backup, and re-tweaked to my specifications with little to almost no change in available ram or speed of the device. I'd just rather overwrite than piggyback onto items. Thankfully, the images I'm after are only about 90 of that total 1700+ inside that file :)

Maybe I should consider getting a hobby, eh?

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe that's right, although obviously some apps will have their own versions for use in-app. (Just search "wifi" in iFile to see a bunch.) But the wifi bars that you see in themes inside of a "UIImages" folder are located inside that .artwork file. To give you an idea of how many images it has:

View attachment 27493

what is that program? is it itunes? or the things you mentioned earlier in the article???
im altogether donw with winterboard. i have changed my themes like twice in the last two years. and i would definitely get into this type of thing

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
what is that program? is it itunes? or the things you mentioned earlier in the article???
im altogether donw with winterboard. i have changed my themes like twice in the last two years. and i would definitely get into this type of thing

That's just a Finder window.

Like I said, I don't use this method, but if you were going to do it I assume you'll need the tools mentioned in the walkthrough to extract/recompile the artwork file.

SlydWyz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The tutorial made it pretty easy to understand things, now it's just a matter of redoing a lot of stuff, one file at a time. Soooo much stuff to explore in this file :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711