Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Default wifi option is greyed out and disabled after 6.1.1 update . Any solution ?

wifi option is greyed out and disabled after 6.1.1 update on iphone 4s of my friend . Googled a lot but all in vain . Replacement seems the only solution but phone is out of warranty. Never expect this type of mistake from apple. Now currently updated to 6.1.2 but problem still persists. Is there any hope ?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default wifi option is greyed out and disabled after 6.1.1 update . Any solution ?

This actually happened to me (on my 4S) shortly after iOS 6.0, and I was puzzled when restarting the settings app, restarting the phone, and resetting network settings. I was on my way to the movies so I didn't think much about it, and the problem somehow resolved itself by the time I was on my way home. Little did I know that many people have tried completely restoring with no luck as well, making replacement their only option. I guess I'm lucky?

Anyways, it seems like a hardware replacement (or time) are the only ways to fix this.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Even if the phone is out of warranty, a defect like that is not apples way.
    I almost positive they would "fix" it.
    The phone worked perfectly fine until you updated or it worked perfectly
    Fine until you jailbroke?

Restore as new, if its fine, jailbreak see what happens.

If its broke bring it to apple.
    There's a reason why people speak so highly of apples
    Customer service
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Default Re: wifi option is greyed out and disabled after 6.1.1 update . Any solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    Even if the phone is out of warranty, a defect like that is not apples way.
    I almost positive they would "fix" it.
    The phone worked perfectly fine until you updated or it worked perfectly
    Fine until you jailbroke?

Restore as new, if its fine, jailbreak see what happens.

If its broke bring it to apple.
    There's a reason why people speak so highly of apples
    Customer service
    Thanks Dear, Thats what I also want to believe that apple's after sales service is best and I have to check it when I visit apple care . Yes , phone was working fine before update and I has also restored it as new on 6.1.2 but my friend is refusing to jailbreak ( unfortunately ) . So, now we will try to contact or visit apple care . I was using android for last one year but I never had such problem regarding updates the problem with android is low resolution and slow performance ( last phone I used was htc one v ) . I like the ultimate resolution and speed of iphone but after jailbreak miPhone has only one thing i,e, ultimate resolution because the speed has gone now it is behaving like android phone I last used ( I don't know about latest android) . Sometime I think that if I want to experience super performance of iphone then it should not be jailbroken but then what's the point of using iphone . Without jailbreak its like a notebook having only 2 pages so you can't write much on it after jailbreak it is full of unlimited pages so write whatever you want but then it becomes heavy and starts lagging so in the end the only point of using miphone is its ultimate resolution and perfectly matched HD themes . So resolution wise now htc one has 468ppi but I think there are still not perfectly matched HD themes in android . I love apple and my heartiest wish is to see it OPEN like android so we can do all things without jailbreaking and have super performance of iphone. Sorry for diverting from main issue of thread but I can't stop myself its just like going with the flow .What do you think ? Apple should atleast allow some basic tweaks like activator,sbsettings and barrel and HD themes so we don't have to compromise ( jb) on speed of iphone to get all these.Apple should remember that tech world is changing at a very fast pace who knows what future has in store for us , so apple should not be so rigid if apple is right then there should not be so vast jailbreak community.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: wifi option is greyed out and disabled after 6.1.1 update . Any solution ?

The solution that worked for me and the original poster of the blog:

HOWEVER, It does require you to jailbreak your phone, but that process is completely reversible, and contrary to Apple's message, does not damage your phone. And besides, what option is there left if your warranty is dead. I have tried to spread this solution to others in the hopes of saving people from having to completely replace their phone. But because the solution requires jailbreaking, Apple suppresses it.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    The solution that worked for me and the original poster of the blog:

HOWEVER, It does require you to jailbreak your phone, but that process is completely reversible, and contrary to Apple's message, does not damage your phone. And besides, what option is there left if your warranty is dead. I have tried to spread this solution to others in the hopes of saving people from having to completely replace their phone. But because the solution requires jailbreaking, Apple suppresses it.
    I hope this works.
    I would like to say thanks to you providing sameer has success
    iPhone Nanite

My brother owns that blog, we figured it out together, every time I tried to post the entire solution on apple.com they would delete my posts even though I clearly state you can reverse the jailbreak. The jailbreak is ONLY an instrument to solve the problem as it can not be done any other way unless Itunes starts to allow for the release of SSH apps. So we had to revive my old blog and post it there.
    Last edited by Kisuke; 02-26-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: I should give credit where credit is due!
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kisuke View Post
    My brother owns that blog, we figured it out together, every time I tried to post the entire solution on apple.com they would delete my posts even though I clearly state you can reverse the jailbreak. The jailbreak is ONLY an instrument to solve the problem as it can not be done any other way unless Itunes starts to allow for the release of SSH apps. So we had to revive my old blog and post it there.
    I have tried your way but it didn't work for me perhaps it doesn't work on iphone 4s. One another thing you said that your wifi and bluetooth address should be same but I have checked on several iphones its last digits are always different only with one number e.g. if wifi address has 65 as a last digit then bluetooth has 66 as last digit rest of the address remains same . But tell me one thing in a iphone whith wifi greyed out it always shows wifi address = N/A .Now I restored back on 6.1.2 and in the welcome screen apple says " You're ready to start using the most advanced ios ever ( but without wifi which is your punishment for upgrading). When contacted apple care they said the iphone is out of warranty so they can flash the software but the risk is mine either phone can be get right or bricked . So my friend (he is the PRIDE owner of this iphone 4s ) is crying like child, now he has WORLD'S MOST ADVANCED PHONE SOFTWARE BUT WITHOUT WIFI AND BLUETOOTH , his only fault is he dared to upgrade to world's most advanced iphone software, its his fault , he should be punished ( and in last I also want to clarify that he is ( or was ) a die hard apple loyalist and never jailbroken his iphone ) Now I own a iphone 4 ios 5.0.1 and I have decided to never upgrade to any version as long as I possess this phone .