Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Upgrading to 6.1.2

Hello,

I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 running 6.1. Just curious if I can just choose upgrade option in iTunes to upgrade to 6.1.2 or if I need to go through the whole process of backing up, restoring, re-jailbreaking, etc.? Thanks.

Global Posts
    17,315 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Upgrading to 6.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by buzcoats View Post
    Hello,

I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 running 6.1. Just curious if I can just choose upgrade option in iTunes to upgrade to 6.1.2 or if I need to go through the whole process of backing up, restoring, re-jailbreaking, etc.? Thanks.
    It is my understanding that if you choose to upgrade, you will lose your jailbreak and will have to re-jailbreak your device afterwards, provided there's an available jailbreak.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Upgrading to 6.1.2

You need to go through the whole process, no matter whether you use OTA or connected to iTunes. It's a hassle, but I dont think .2 is even worth the trouble. IMO
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks guys, that was fast!

Global Posts
    6,819 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by buzcoats View Post
    Hello,

Are you on 6.1 or 6.1.1? If you're on 6.1 then I'd say it might be worth it to upgrade to 6.1.2 if you're running 6.1.1 then I'd say it's not worth it. If you upgrade you will have to redo your JB but depending on how many themes, tweaks this might be easy or hard. I had to restore two nights ago but it took me about 15 minutes to get my JB all setup again. I have a list of all the tweaks I use, I can get to the ones I bought from within Cydia and I always backup my Winterboard and Zeppelin mods. However if you have a ton of tweaks then it might be much more complicated for you. So you need to decide, if you decide to do it then use iExplorer to copy your Themes.xxxx folder to your computer from Private\var\stash and if you use Zeppelin copy the \System\Library\Zeppelin too. Do a backup and then put your device into DFU mode and do a restore which will upgrade you. Then restore from your backup, re-JB and install all your JB apps. Then use iExplorer to put the folders inside the Themes.xxxx and Zeppelin in the same location.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)