Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0, 5.1.1

Default Don't know password for Encrypt iPhone Backup!

I'm trying to jailbreak but I can't do it with the backup encrypted...anyway I go to iTunes to turn it off, and it asks for the password.

The problem is I don't remember setting this up. I never put a password in there, and if I had, it would have been one of the passwords I use, and it's none of those. I'm not usually the type of person to forget setting something like that up, or to forget my passwords.

Is there any way around this? Any ways to retrieve a lost password? Can I uninstall/reinstall iTunes? Any help would be appreciated...
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Default Re: Don't know password for Encrypt iPhone Backup!

Quote Originally Posted by aaimbrogno View Post
    I'm trying to jailbreak but I can't do it with the backup encrypted...anyway I go to iTunes to turn it off, and it asks for the password.

The problem is I don't remember setting this up. I never put a password in there, and if I had, it would have been one of the passwords I use, and it's none of those. I'm not usually the type of person to forget setting something like that up, or to forget my passwords.

Is there any way around this? Any ways to retrieve a lost password? Can I uninstall/reinstall iTunes? Any help would be appreciated...
    i imagine uninstalling and reinstalling itunes would solve this
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Default Re: Don't know password for Encrypt iPhone Backup!

I've the identical problem; I do believe it's asking for the encryption password, though in my case, could not recall encrypting the backup and I haven't entered it in Splash ID. I ended up using an external program to decrypt the password – "iPhone Backup Unlocker"

It worked like a charm. I only downloaded its standard version. With that it gave me the first three letters and the rest were blocked out with ***. The result is just as 123***. This however was enough for me to recall the password.

Refer to pro support on how to turn off iTunes backup password from