Ios6.1 untethered vs 5.1.1 untethered

davidliu

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,
Now that evasi0n is out, do you upgrade your untethered 5.1.1 to 6.1?
If so, are you running into any issues?
I am currently in 5.1.1 JB and am wondering if i should take the leap to upgrade 6.1 and JB.
Furthermore, what extra benefits are there for anyone wishing to upgrade to 6.1 JB?
Feel free to share your thoughts here:) thank you!

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not like you can change your mind and go back, at least with the newer devices, but here's my opinion after upgrading (actually, purchased a 5 as soon as I could jailbreak it) and what I've found.

I like iOS 6 better than 5.1.1.

Pros:
A lot of apps, like Safari, seem to be faster and smoother, even on the old device.
Some of the features like "Do Not Disturb" are nice.
I like the new Music interface a lot more.
A lot of new app updates require iOS 6, so I'm able to stay current.

Cons:
The phone doesn't play as nice with my car stereo. For some reason, it won't auto connect, and in Bluetooth mode I can't control the music from the car. On the other hand, though, plugging it into the USB cable from the stereo no longer activates that damned "Accessory" screen on the phone, which I used to use the jailbreak app "NoAccSplash" to get rid of.
Many jailbreak apps aren't compatible yet, but that happens every time there's a new update like this.

All in all, I think it's worth it to update to 6, now that you can jailbreak.

davidliu

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Another thing on my mind is that ios6 JB is probably more focused on iphone 5 (which makes a lot of sense as it is the latest hardware).
So users like me who are still using the 4s may feel a little 'left out' and assume that the latest JB doesnt 'concern' us.
Thanks again for sharing.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Another thing on my mind is that ios6 JB is probably more focused on iphone 5 (which makes a lot of sense as it is the latest hardware).
So users like me who are still using the 4s may feel a little 'left out' and assume that the latest JB doesnt 'concern' us.
Thanks again for sharing.

I updated last night and it feels VERY smooth on my 4S. More and more apps and tweaks are gonna require iOS 6 and up so might as well do it now before apple releases 6.1.1 and u are stuck without a jb. Just my $0.02

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd say stay on 5.1.1 until your phone starts needing a restore. Or until one of your essential App Store apps requires iOS 6. That way you'll give the jailbreak devs enough time to update their tweaks and iron out any glitches.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The only thing to consider is that Apple is already seeding 6.1.1 to developers and we are not sure if it will block that jailbreak when it is finally released. I would hate to see someone miss the signing window.