Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Default To jailbreak or not too jailbreak...??

I've seen allot of news recently regarding jailbreaking. I currently use a pure 4S and am on the fence about jailbreaking. I love the idea of all the possible customizations but also have concerns like how it will affect how I currently use my phone. Does it affect the way I currently have everything set up (mail accounts, currently installed apps, all phone settings...etc). I'm just a little skeptical like I'm sure allot of people are before the jail break.

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by MrMars View Post
    I've seen allot of news recently regarding jailbreaking. I currently use a pure 4S and am on the fence about jailbreaking. I love the idea of all the possible customizations but also have concerns like how it will affect how I currently use my phone. Does it affect the way I currently have everything set up (mail accounts, currently installed apps, all phone settings...etc). I'm just a little skeptical like I'm sure allot of people are before the jail break.
    It won't affect anything you have set up currently. A couple of apps (direct tv for example) don't work with a jail broken phone but aside from that you shouldn't see any issues.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

So all currently installed apps will still be present and function properly after I jailbreak?

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So all currently installed apps will still be present and function properly after I jailbreak?
    Yep. In fact some of them can function even better (making pandora stream in hd for example).
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

So after the jail break I can no longer use iTunes?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Default Re: To jailbreak or not too jailbreak...??

sometimes things are not as great as you might read about.. just sayin

Global Posts
    2,458 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So after the jail break I can no longer use iTunes?
    ... No. Of course you can use iTunes. Why wouldn't you be able to? Everything works the same.
    iMore Forum Moderator

8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Just asking. I've never jail broken. Do you still purchase apps thru iTunes?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

look bro, if i were you i'd do A LOT of researching before you make the move

Google, YouTube .. even here

i researched for a couple of weeks before i did it and the best part is you can Restore your device and bring it back to stock just like right before you messed with anything jailbreak
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

I just came here for advice before I did anything..thanks.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    look bro, if i were you i'd do A LOT of researching before you make the move

Google, YouTube .. even here

i researched for a couple of weeks before i did it and the best part is you can Restore your device and bring it back to stock just like right before you messed with anything jailbreak
    Are you still jailbroken and happy you did it?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

ha! i'm a duck of another color. i jailbreak and go back to stock too often. i really should see someone about it

anyways, my personal opinion is it is a give and take. you might compromise the fluidity of the OS or experiment battery drain but the trade off is you can make your device completely different than the next person. it becomes a personal preference

is there a shrink in the house?
    iDonev likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

It's kinda cool. My phone didn't change one bit. But now that I can put themes on it. It's a bit different. You can always revert back to stock like they said.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by pearlyrob View Post
    It's kinda cool. My phone didn't change one bit. But now that I can put themes on it. It's a bit different. You can always revert back to stock like they said.
    Have you experienced any dramatic battery drain issues? Also, can you confirm if you can still purchase apps, music, books via iTunes?
    iMore Expert

Have you experienced any dramatic battery drain issues? Also, can you confirm if you can still purchase apps, music, books via iTunes?
    Yes, you can keep using itunes and the appstore normally, no changes there.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,316 Global Posts

Meh, unless you can't wait to rip off developers by downloading free apps cause you're too cheap to pay a dollar or two for an app, it's not that big of a deal.

I've had a jail broken iPad, 6.0 broke that and I honestly didn't miss it very much.

Main thing I used it for, was a little tweak called Barrel that makes your icons fly around when you swipe through the home screens.

It did make it more unstable. Would crash a couple of times a week, but nothing that a quick restart of the Springboard (that basically draws your icons) wouldn't cure.
    Last edited by Androidandipad; 02-06-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts

Yep I haven't noticed any glitches yet. Battery life may be slightly worse but I've been downloading a lot of extras and tweaks, and it's constantly rebooting and re springing. iTunes works perfect.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Cost of apps isn't an issue. I don't mind paying for them. Just concerned about the functioning of my device.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by Androidandipad View Post
    Meh, unless you can't wait to rip off developers by downloading free apps cause you're too cheap to pay a dollar or two for an app, it's not that big of a deal.

I've had a jail broken iPad, 6.0 broke that and I honestly didn't miss it very much.
    yeah because every jailbreaker pirates apps. unreal
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

What about future IOS releases. Does each new IOS release require a new jailbreak? Meaning a jail broken phone cannot be updated to the latest IOS without a new jailbreak for that IOS version?

Global Posts
    5,602 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

What about future IOS releases. Does each new IOS release require a new jailbreak? Meaning a jail broken phone cannot be updated to the latest IOS without a new jailbreak for that IOS version?
    Correct.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Ok I think I'm going to take the plunge. Can anyone give me an estimate on how long the process takes?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Ok I think I'm going to take the plunge. Can anyone give me an estimate on how long the process takes?
    It's a quick process - a couple of minutes to download the jailbreak software (depending on your internet connection) and another 5-7 minutes to run the software. I did both my iphone 5 and my husband's, and both went quickly and smoothly. Shopping around in Cydia can take some time, though it is much smoother now that it was earlier in the week. Good luck!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Around 20 mins.

Getting familiar with tweaks and how you want things set up? Hours, days, some dollars.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I haven't experienced any battery drain in fact at almost 10 PM my iPhone is at 70% which is pretty amazing. Battery drain is such a bag of tricks there are tons of threads with people on stock iOS experiencing it. The most important thing is to read through some threads and get a feel for some of the more well known apps and what they are used to do. Jailbreaking can severely enhance your device by allowing you to do things so much more efficiently, easily and quickly. However you have to understand that you need to remain cool if things become a little unstable. Just ask here and wait until you get some advice. If you panic you can end up doing more damage requiring a restore and frustration for yourself. Since you're starting out I'll give you a hint of the apps I use and for what reason.

Bulletin - Notification from lock screen, ability to dismiss lock screen notifications
    BiteSMS - Answer and compose iMessages and texts from the lock screen
    NCSettings - Toggles in the Notification Center for main things (Wifi, Bluetooth, etc)
    Infinidock - Infinately scrolling dock allows me to put as many icons and folders on the dock as I want
    Showcase - Changes the keyboard so it shows upper and lower case letters like you would expect
    NoSpot - Disables spotlight function (can't stand it)
    Lockscreen Clock Hide - Hides the clock on the lock screen
    iFile - Browse the file system of the device on the device (Very advanced!!!)
    Zeppelin - Changes carrier logo
    Winterboard - Used to enable and disable themes and tweaks

Always check for updates in Cydia once in awhile and just like the App store do them so you're up to date.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast