Please Help - iPhone Down!

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
So my buddy not knowing anything decided to upgrade her iPhone 4 to IOS 6.1 and now she doesn't have service under TMobile. She bought a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone from a friend of a friend. I can easily do the evasi0n jailbreak but how do I unlock it after that? What can I do to get her back up and running? She's been without service for 2 days now.

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
She needs to pay for an IMEI unlock.

Unfortunately that is the only way, you said she knows little about jail breaking and unlocking so she likely did not preserve her unlockable baseband.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So my buddy not knowing anything decided to upgrade her iPhone 4 to IOS 6.1 and now she doesn't have service under TMobile. She bought a jailbroken/unlocked iPhone from a friend of a friend. I can easily do the evasi0n jailbreak but how do I unlock it after that? What can I do to get her back up and running? She's been without service for 2 days now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is nothing you can do at this point. When she updated her phone, she changed the baseband, and the unlock method she used is probably no longer going to work. If its an AT&T phone, you might want to look into a eBay or other cheap imei lock. UnlockStreak here at iMore also runs a contest you can enter to get a free unlock. But that's about the only option left to you.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
So I can just jailbreak using evasi0n and then pay that $10 or so on ebay for the IMEI unlock?

I just send them the IMEI number and they unlock remotely? Not a scam or anything? No other apps from Cydia would be required?

And no she never backed up her Baseband prior to the update.

chadec

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
You don't actually need to jailbreak to unlock that way, stock or jailbroken it is a permanent unlock if you get the right code. There are numerous scam sites that will rip you off, but I thought there was a legit one that was partnered or at least affiliated in some way with iMore.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Ahh man that stinks, I have had that happen before. If you are with AT&T you could always stick your sim in the phone. Call customer service and tell them you will be leaving the country. Since the phone will show as you did not buy it locked from them under contract they will unlock it for you. If the first CSR doesn't do it, try again. I have done this before for co-workers