Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bamf-hacker
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Default New to iPhone and JB

So this is my first IOS device and I am a Palm FrankenPre convert. So when the option to jailbreak came available, I had to jump on it! I want as much control over MY device as possible.

Thanks to all the devs that made it possible. Jailbreak is done and Cydia is present. But when I opened it, boy was I surprised by the amount of things that were available. I am currently overwhelmed and don't even know where to start lol! I guess there is a lot of reading I need to do.

Are most 'tweaks' free or most paid options? Any suggestions? I will go through the JB forum and read up tonight, but a head start would be awesome. Thanks again to everyone involved.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1/6

Read. A lot.

I'm not trolling you but there is a ton of different things. I spent several months just reading and playing with things before I got everything how I wanted it.

Suggestions to start will likely all be the same:

Sbsettings
    Activator
    iFile

For myself I always recommend BiteSMS but I've added Zephyr for UI navigation and Springtomize 2 for a good number of tweaks all rolled in one.

A lot of the good tweaks are free, but there is a fairly large amount of tweaks that are well worth the price asked for.
    Thanked by:
    dowdyrich (02-05-2013)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

I don't feel as if your response was 'trolling' me at all. I agree with the reading part definitely; just so much available, it would be crazy not to. I have seen the suggestions you have mentioned a lot, before ever JB'n, so I will probably give them a go.

Thanks for your response and help!

Global Posts
    4,199 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS8.1b2

Default Re: New to iPhone and JB

Welcome to iOS and JB'ng

I would recommend only installing a hand full of tweaks at a time to test things out and see what you find useful. After you install a tweak give it sometime to make sure it plays nice with what you have installed. If you install a bunch all at once it is hard to diagnose issues. With that I have tested and used a lot of tweaks and now that I am back to being JailBroken I am streamlined down to only a few:

In not particular order:

Auxo
    BiteSMS
    iFile
    iTerminal
    ShowCase
    WeeKillBackround Pro (going to remove this if Auxo works as well as it looks)
    Thanked by:
    dowdyrich (02-05-2013)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1/6

Quote Originally Posted by bamf-hacker View Post
    I would recommend only installing a hand full of tweaks at a time to test things out and see what you find useful. After you install a tweak give it sometime to make sure it plays nice with what you have installed. If you install a bunch all at once it is hard to diagnose issues.
    This.

And bamf-hacker, I've found auxo and zephyr to be a great looking and functional combination.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Yeh, on the Pre we had to do the same thing.. Install 1 or 2, wait, wait, wait -- ok all is good? GO! Lol. I see it will be hard though.. Just looking at what you guys suggested so far, I want it ALL!! Testing a couple of free ones now...

Global Posts
    4,199 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS8.1b2

Quote Originally Posted by chadec View Post
    This.

And bamf-hacker, I've found auxo and zephyr to be a great looking and functional combination.
    Thanks looking at Zephyr now You owe me $4.99
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1/6

Haha I have to hide my Cydia purchases at home or I'll be killed. "You spent what?!"

And dowdyrich: http://www.imore.com/dash-brings-flu...ipad-jailbreak
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Oooooooo that's just wrong lol! Reminds me of my good ole Pre. If it could have had a lil more attention from HP or been bought by some one other than them, it might have been something special. Needed to get faster, quick (that sounded redundant??) and needed more apps (and possible bigger screen). I almost bought ran to look for that tweak just out of sentiment...
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1/6

I know the feeling. I wanted a notification light on my iPhone after leaving bb just out of sheer habit. Now I don't think I could tolerate having a blinking light all the time. I have most of my notifications set to not even light up the display when locked.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

OMGoodness!! I almost bricked my phone last night!!! I installed Zepellin and wanted to have a Dallas Cowboys logo instead of sprint in the corner. When I downloaded the NFL pack, I restarted my phone and...... All I saw was an Apple on the screen for 30-40 mins. After multiple attempts of holding power and home key, it finally came back. I removed those two, and I am back in action. But I was indeed a little scared... Will take it a bit slower, definitely....

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by dowdyrich View Post
    OMGoodness!! I almost bricked my phone last night!!! I installed Zepellin and wanted to have a Dallas Cowboys logo instead of sprint in the corner. When I downloaded the NFL pack, I restarted my phone and...... All I saw was an Apple on the screen for 30-40 mins. After multiple attempts of holding power and home key, it finally came back. I removed those two, and I am back in action. But I was indeed a little scared... Will take it a bit slower, definitely....

It's not zeppelin that's the issue, it's an issue with evasion (the long reboot). There will be a fix out soon, but you did the right thing to fix it. You can also try holding volume up + power (this will throw you into safe mode then you can respring safely).
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    Thanked by:
    dowdyrich (02-06-2013)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1/6

Just a simple logo freeze. Hard reset (like you did) tends to take care of it
    Thanked by:
    dowdyrich (02-06-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,056 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That's what you get for trying to put a Cowboys logo on your phone.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

I knew I should have edited that out LOL! It already hurts enough being a fan, you just had to step on me while we are down, huh? LMAO! The logo on my phone was the one thing that Jerry Jones couldn't mess up, or did he......

I like your avatar btw... So many things on this forum to remind me of my dearly departed Pre....

Global Posts
    4,199 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS8.1b2

I knew I should have edited that out LOL! It already hurts enough being a fan, you just had to step on me while we are down, huh? LMAO! The logo on my phone was the one thing that Jerry Jones couldn't mess up, or did he......
    There is nothing wrong with being a Cowboys fan!!! Die hard since 79' with a Dallas Cowboys star tattoo to prove it

OK back on topic
    dowdyrich likes this.