Intelliscreenx for iOS 6: $5 Upgrade Fee

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I really can't believe this?Intelliborn wants people who bought their $10 app to pay a $5 upgrade fee to use it on iOS 6. Very happy to say that the Lockinfo update is free!

image.jpg

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can see it from both sides. The consumer in me is of course outraged, but in truth the expectation that you can pay $5/10/20 and have a lifetime of free updates is equally na?ve. Especially if the developer depends on that source of income.

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I can understand the impulse, but think it was handled poorly—to just mention it on Twitter the day before an expected jailbreak, and with no mention of new features, etc. I actually switched to Lockinfo back on iOS 5 so won't really be affected anyway, but I feel for users who were excited to update tomorrow.

I will say this: I've only paid more than $5 for three apps in my life—ISX, BiteSMS, and Lockinfo. So far, only ISX—the most expensive and most recent purchase—has charged for an update. Both the others have undergone major revisions over several versions of iOS without charging existing customers.

(Edit: On the other hand, ISX does come with Messages+ integration, making it sort of like Bite and Lockinfo in one...)

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well Looks like I will be using lock info then. I get people need to make money but paying 10$ for it the first time was enough for me right now. I have to check when I purchased it as well. That's good it's free for those who purchased it around December 1st.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe I had that.
That's a little game i like to play that I learned from my uncle tony kornheiser.

It's called "I believe I had that" when you can say a million preposterous things, and when occasionally one of them happens you get to exclaim from the mountain tips, "I believe I had that" and seem prophetic.
You do however have to eat dirt most of the year when the things you say turn out to be wrong

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Wait they're just charging $5 because it's being updated to work on iOS 6 with no new functionality? If so, that's not okay.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Espn radio tried to do this. They charge 3.99 for their app, release an update, and stopped supporting older versions, tried charging 3.99 again!
Users flipped out, Espn made their radio app free fit a few months, but is now back to charging money.
So it's not unheard of.
Intelliborn did it with mywi too.
20 bucks on ios 4, 20 more on ios5 and probably 20 more on ios6

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
MyWi has the same $5 upgrade fee (see first post). Interestingly, it's not only users who are talking about this on Twitter; a couple of devs (e.g. Ori Kadosh, who makes DashboardX, Flowtation, and Aloud) have come out against it as well.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to side with the developer on this one. It's their time and work and I think the number of available customers has shrunk. At this point you have to figure some former jailbreakers have moved to android or no longer feel the need to jailbreak. I doubt new users are replacing those numbers.

I guess we will have to see what the new features are to make a full judgement of their actions. If they just added some more settings toggles or more page options, then that doesn't seem like much. If they add brand new functionality like they did with message + then maybe it will be worth it.

I understand the anger some customers have but this is not uncommon for a software model. At some point free upgrades don't make sense but of course you usually can use the old version as long as you like. They should probably offer the basic version for old customers and use the improved features to entice them to upgrade or at least let them have the free trial to try them out for themselves. Not many apps let you have trial periods.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Well that'a not the WORSE thing I've ever heard?
If you already have both apps, then $5 isn't incredibly expensive for the app?

But for first timers, mywi at $20 doesn't hold up. Pdanet or tether me for the win!!
Also intelliscreenx was pretty nice, and I suppose I would've adjusted to messages plus and moved on from bite? however my love of bite is unparalleled. It's exactly what a messaging app should be?

But for ten bucks, the enhanced lock screen, anytime messages, may be worth it?
And on that note, 5 dollars more for people who already owned the app seems steep? like it should be maybe 2.49 or cheaper?
Just existing users though, if not free.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's the thing for me I find that the reason we are all as users conditioned to want to pay the least possible for apps is the race to 99 cents that happened in the App Store. I don't mind paying as long as I think it's fair and I use the app. I've paid for JB apps, I've paid $10 for iWork apps a price most users would choke on if they saw it on an app. I'm glad Cydia is not regulated by Apple because it's making users pay for apps that give them functionality. The way I look at it when I look at an app that might cost $5 is that there are a ton of apps and tweaks I use from Cydia that are free so to me it balances out. I'm not saying the arguments you guys have brought up don't make sense I think they totally do but I'm just presenting some opinions on the the whole issue.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind paying for an app—but ISX is far and away the most expensive app I ever bought, and is the ONLY one that has ever charged me for an update. Imagine if you had to pay an upgrade fee for every app you use, every time iOS was updated—customers would be up in arms.

The business model, however imperfect, is well established by now—breaking from it so dramatically was sure to upset existing customers.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711