Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default I need advice on how to jailbreak my iphone 3gs (long-ish backstory)

Basically, I've had this iPhone 3gs for at least a year maybe longer and I need help jailbreaking it or what I can do with it, but there's a bit of a backstory.

When i first got the phone it was locked to o2, but I had an orange SIM, so i took it to be unlocked which was iOS 4.1, this was the case for a long time, until I got an o2 SIM.

Fast forward to a few months back, my father wants the phone and takes it to a guy who upgrades it to iOS 6.0.1, but now he can't get past the activation screen and is pestering me to jailbreak it for him, as this guy has told him that'll get him past the activation screen.

Having tried multiple times to jailbreak it I have been unsuccessful, and am now thinking that a downgrade may be the right way to go, but I have no idea on how i'll go about this as i'm not too sure how SHSH blobs work and things like that, any advice on how to just get this past the activation screen and so it registers with an o2 SIM would be of great help.

Thanks, Dennis
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Well Dennis,
    There are 2 options.
    Download redsnow 15b3 and you can jailbreak your phone now, tethered.

Or wait a week and you can jailbreak untethered.

Or the downgrade, which again uses redsnowb15b3
    You need to have the blobs available, I'm just going to assume you have them, since you were jailbroken for the past year or so.

Honestly gut it out a bit, wait for 6.1 untethered. Jailbreak then.

However none of this necessarily solves your unlocking problem.
    It is the general consensus here, that while a software unlock may work, and may be free, using a reputable service for a factory hardware unlock is well worth the price
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: I need advice on how to jailbreak my iphone 3gs (long-ish backstory)

I just tried the jailbreak with 15b3 but it said exploit failed?

Also the blobs for 4.1 i'm not sure if i'd have them because i've had a enw pc since then and the phone was unlocked and then upgraded at different places?
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Default Re: I need advice on how to jailbreak my iphone 3gs (long-ish backstory)

Quote Originally Posted by Deosculate95 View Post
    I just tried the jailbreak with 15b3 but it said exploit failed?

Also the blobs for 4.1 i'm not sure if i'd have them because i've had a enw pc since then and the phone was unlocked and then upgraded at different places?
    cydia should have you blobs stored on their server. you sure you have a 3gs and not a 3g?
    i think, not positive, that the 3gs can go as high as ios 6, so redsnow 15b3 should work. but you said something about 4.1 which confuses me.
    reverting back to 4.1 isnt going to solve the unlock situation. every time you change firmware, unless you manually solve this, your basebands change.
    best bet is to research hardware unlocks and get the best price you can
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you have a bit of money to spare, you should go buy an IMEI unlock as 3cit suggested. They are about 30-40.

If that's not an option for you, reply to the thread and I'll give you additional directions.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

It's a 3gs, the thing is i've spent quite a bit of money on the phone already as i had to get the screen and speakers fixed, but yeah when i tried the jailbreak that came up.
    Also i don't really have 30-40 to spend.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

In that case you must first check if its even possible to unlock your device.

Read this article and see if your device is compatible.

You should have access to the serial number in iTunes and through the information (i) button during the setup process.
    If you have jailbreak woes, you can iMessage me at iDonev@me.com. I'll try to help (provided I have time to spare).
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

I can't get to that, i can't get past the activation screen.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

When you plug your phone into your computer iTunes doesn't pop up with device information?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

See the (i) button in the screenshot? It should bring up some info including (hopefully) the serial number.

I need advice on how to jailbreak my iphone 3gs (long-ish backstory)-image.jpg

Also as 3cit suggested try through iTunes, just remove the SIM card so you don't get an "Invalid SIM" screen.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Nanite

I get my IMEI number but the ICCID is unknown?

Also when I plug the phone in i just get that my activation couldn't be continued.